Sign in to follow this  
twitcommander

ITunes is putting spyware on Windows.

I wouldn't call this "spyware". It transmits the song you are listening to (naturally, so it can return relavant results!) and your account information (the only possibly bad thing).

why are you bitching about something that you would have thanked apple for if you had just read the user agreement.  Thats what its there for.  Just because the majority of the population skips over these agreements because they are to lazy to read them, doesnt mean they shouldnt be held responsible for what contained inside them.  Its your responsibility to read it.  Apple provided it for you.

Save your breath for a company who actually screws you over.

lol, its just like bitching that McDonalds put cheese on your hamburger when you didnt ask them to, but you actually did want cheese.  But the fact they didnt ask you first is not ok because you need to feel superior and in control.

So you are saying we should wait until we really get screwed before we politely say, "Please stop." (Insert raunchy prison reference here :)) That's like waiting to stop a fire until the forest is gone, too little, too late. If people don't rebel against the little things that are wrong, they have a tendency to trip over the big things. Wrong is wrong whether it affects you or not. People "yelling" about this issue now tells Apple and a whole slew of other companies not to do it with something else in a more nefarious manner. It tells these companies that people do care.

I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely wouldn't thank Apple for adding a store interface into my music player. Even without the spyware, I think it's irritating. I shut it off before I knew about the information exchange.

Your McDonalds analogy is not wholly accurate. Think about the deeper issues, those not related to ego.

I have to ask: Do you, inis, read the user agreement for every product you install? If so, you're among an extraordinarily small group of people. Computer companies are aware that most people don't read the agreement. If they are going to add something like spyware to a product, they know they should make it obvious unless they want to irritate their users. In the end the worst thing Apple has done is irritate its users.

-Rob

I dont read every agreement, just the ones from people i dont trust or advanced programs with lots of features.

You cant complain BEFORE something really bad happens, because you dont have any proof that it will. You dont even have previous history that would lead you to believe apple would do sumething malicious.

If i found it in a sony product, i would be upset.

If you dont trust apple enough to not read their user agreements, THEN START READING THEIR USER AGREEMENTS, lol.

You cant complain BEFORE something really bad happens, because you dont have any proof that it will.  You dont even have previous history that would lead you to believe apple would do sumething malicious.  

If i found it in a sony product, i would be upset.

So we need to wait until something really bad happens before trying to prevent something really bad from happening. Are you reading your own posts? Can you think of any historic events that could have been prevented if someone had stepped up and said, "Hey, this looks like it might turn ugly?" Possibly 9/11, the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor...

Also, why is Sony doing this worse than Apple doing this? What about Microsoft? Saying Apple can do no wrong because they've never done anything wrong is absurd. Currently this is a public relations mistake. I'd hope that Apple will learn from this mistake.

To continue with the analogies, let's consider Poland. If the the countries of the world had united against Germany when it invaded Poland at the start of WWII. We might possibly have prevented WWII. Now this little thing from Apple isn't WWII, but it could get worse so people are speaking out. Instead of a possible WWII, Apple's irritated customers can make this more like the first Gulf War. (Is the analogy clicking in the grey matter?) The line has to be drawn somewhere.

:D

-Rob

I wouldn't call this "spyware". It transmits the song you are listening to (naturally, so it can return relavant results!) and your account information (the only possibly bad thing).

It's being done without EXPRESSED permission, so it's spyware. Yes, it's something small and insignificant, but your pinky-finger is small and insignificant. Would you be upset if someone cut it off and took it without your permission, even if they would return a bigger, better finger that you could buy later? :wink:

:)

Rob

It's being done without EXPRESSED permission, so it's spyware. Yes, it's something small and insignificant, but your pinky-finger is small and insignificant. Would you be upset if someone cut it off and took it without your permission, even if they would return a bigger, better finger that you could buy later? :wink:

Rob

what is your deal? the reason it is COMPLETELY different thatn sony is because sony buried a rootkit in computers that more easily allows hackers to piggyback and turn your life into hell. Apple just decided to link you to soem music it thought you might like. YOU CAN TURN THE THING OFF IF YOU ARE SMART ENUGH TO JUST PUSH THE BRAND NEW BUTTON.

And yes, you do have to wait till bad things happen. If you had proof that apple was planning something sinister and big with this, then you could open your mouth. But you dont. So dont even try to relate this to 9/11 or something like that. That is not relatable in any way.

It would be like me walking up to you right now and taking you to prison, because I think you are about to commit a crime. Do you think that would be ok?

The bottom line is, if you are this upset about something so insignificant (which it is), then just stop using it. Or betteer yet stop buying apple. Cause i know i dont personally want you representing an apple consumer, and i can sure as hell bet steve doesnt either. I bet he would bitch smack you right now over this.

This topic has the worst language!

It seems like the ministore turned itself off in my iTunes. It now tells me I can turn it on if I want.

picture48ks.th.png

I wouldnt blame the topic nearly as much i I would just blame me.

I wouldnt blame the topic nearly as much i I would just blame me.

It is called "spreading the blame." If you want me to just blame you then tell me.

what is your deal?

Personally I like five card draw, nothing wild. Cribbage is also good, but it's difficult to make money playing cribbage.

the reason it is COMPLETELY different thatn sony is because sony buried a rootkit in computers that more easily allows hackers to piggyback and turn your life into hell.  Apple just decided to link you to soem music it thought you might like.  YOU CAN TURN THE THING OFF IF YOU ARE SMART ENUGH TO JUST PUSH THE BRAND NEW BUTTON.  

#1. Sony's intent was not evil. Sony was just stupid in its manner to protect its content. Apple's intent isn't evil, but it should have made more of an effort to inform the users. (Remember...marketing blunder, not real life tragedy)

#2. I did turn it off after about two ugly minutes with it, thanks for the advice. :wink: BTW I'm smart enough to spell "enough." :P

And yes, you do have to wait till bad things happen.  If you had proof that apple was planning something sinister and big with this, then you could open your mouth.  But you dont.  So dont even try to relate this to 9/11 or something like that.  That is not relatable in any way.

Waiting to prevent a crime, a holocaust, or even a PROBLEM when we can see it coming is irresponsible.

It would be like me walking up to you right now and taking you to prison, because I think you are about to commit a crime.

No, it's not. If we were suing Apple for this and trying to punish them about this, then your analogy would be accurate. This is more like teaching a child morals. We're trying to teach Apple not to take personal data without permission, which is like stealing. We don't put children in jail because they might commit a crime and we aren't laying any punitive damages on Apple for this. We're giving them a warning.

The bottom line is, if you are this upset about something so insignificant (which it is), then just stop using it.

I don't remember ever saying I was upset or even feeling upset. It really didn't affect me in the least. I do like to call things like I see them, though.

However, it is pretty funny watching you get upset with me.

Or betteer yet stop buying apple.  Cause i know i dont personally want you representing an apple consumer

And what you want is my major concern :?

What actually is the definition of an Apple consumer? Are Apple consumers supposed to be automatons? or Are only those people lacking in skill with analogies allowed to buy Apple products? Please, educate me.

and i can sure as hell bet steve doesnt either.

Considering the amount of money I've spent on Apple products and Pixar movies, I doubt he'd really care.

I bet he would bitch smack you right now over this.

THE Steve would never bitch slap someone. Haven't you read anything about him? He'd have me painfully killed and then have my rotting corpse placed on a pike outside his office. "Warning: Do NOT disagree with Steve."

Best Regards,

-Rob

thats what im saying, lol. no, i just dont think its right to blame others in the topic when i think its pretty much just me who is using all the language.

thats what im saying, lol.  no, i just dont think its right to blame others in the topic when i think its pretty much just me who is using all the language.

Fine.

what is your deal?

Personally I like five card draw, nothing wild. Cribbage is also good, but it's difficult to make money playing cribbage.

the reason it is COMPLETELY different thatn sony is because sony buried a rootkit in computers that more easily allows hackers to piggyback and turn your life into hell.  Apple just decided to link you to soem music it thought you might like.  YOU CAN TURN THE THING OFF IF YOU ARE SMART ENUGH TO JUST PUSH THE BRAND NEW BUTTON.  

#1. Sony's intent was not evil. Sony was just stupid in its manner to protect its content. Apple's intent isn't evil, but it should have made more of an effort to inform the users. (Remember...marketing blunder, not real life tragedy)

#2. I did turn it off after about two ugly minutes with it, thanks for the advice. :wink: BTW I'm smart enough to spell "enough." :P

And yes, you do have to wait till bad things happen.  If you had proof that apple was planning something sinister and big with this, then you could open your mouth.  But you dont.  So dont even try to relate this to 9/11 or something like that.  That is not relatable in any way.

Waiting to prevent a crime, a holocaust, or even a PROBLEM when we can see it coming is irresponsible.

It would be like me walking up to you right now and taking you to prison, because I think you are about to commit a crime.

No, it's not. If we were suing Apple for this and trying to punish them about this, then your analogy would be accurate. This is more like teaching a child morals. We're trying to teach Apple not to take personal data without permission, which is like stealing. We don't put children in jail because they might commit a crime and we aren't laying any punitive damages on Apple for this. We're giving them a warning.

The bottom line is, if you are this upset about something so insignificant (which it is), then just stop using it.

I don't remember ever saying I was upset or even feeling upset. It really didn't affect me in the least. I do like to call things like I see them, though.

However, it is pretty funny watching you get upset with me.

Or betteer yet stop buying apple.  Cause i know i dont personally want you representing an apple consumer

And what you want is my major concern :?

What actually is the definition of an Apple consumer? Are Apple consumers supposed to be automatons? or Are only those people lacking in skill with analogies allowed to buy Apple products? Please, educate me.

and i can sure as hell bet steve doesnt either.

Considering the amount of money I've spent on Apple products and Pixar movies, I doubt he'd really care.

I bet he would bitch smack you right now over this.

THE Steve would never bitch slap someone. Haven't you read anything about him? He'd have me painfully killed and then have my rotting corpse placed on a pike outside his office. "Warning: Do NOT disagree with Steve."

Best Regards,

-Rob

I think your right in one respect. Steve would have a much more imaginative way of killing you.

I dont care about spelling. I type a mile and minute and I obsolutely dont have enough respect for you to bother spell checking a reply on an internet forum. If you want to judge my success, perhaps we could meet and comparing salaries and dick sizes.

I think my arguments are very accurate. If you wanted to teach apple something, you should have written them a kind letter. Instead, you started a thread discussing the nerve of apple.

The only thing any of this would ever have led to is more of the same. Which is apple making features with the intention of helping its customers. In no way violating their privacy or their freedoms.

I think your right in one respect.  Steve would have a much more imaginative way of killing you.

Well, its about time you came around.

I dont care about spelling.  I type a mile and minute and I obsolutely dont have enough respect for you to bother spell checking a reply on an internet forum.

Ironically, your spelling has improved since I pointed it out. I'm sure you did that to help me wrap my little brain around your big ideas. Thanks. :)

If you want to judge my success, perhaps we could meet and comparing salaries and dick sizes.

I never mentioned your success. Are you sensitive about something?

I think we should compare typing speed and thickness of eye wear. They bear the same connection to success as your two items.

However, I'm all tingly inside at the prospect of meeting you. I don't need to see your "parts" though.

I think my arguments are very accurate.

Keep practicing. Eventually you might be able to think for yourself.

If you wanted to teach apple something, you should have written them a kind letter.

You are assuming I didn't rattle off an email to Apple. ASS-U-ming is bad.

Instead, you started a thread discussing the nerve of apple.

I didn't start the thread. Have you found yourself forgetting other things? Maybe you're overworking yourself to meet the demands of your success.

The only thing any of this would ever have led to is more of the same.  Which is apple making features with the intention of helping its customers.  In no way violating their privacy or their freedoms.

On this issue we'll just have to agree to disagree. I believe Apple has made a mistake here. You're okay with Apple pretending to know every user intimately. I understand. No one expects you to think outside the box.

All my best again,

Rob

You are assuming I didn't rattle off an email to Apple. ASS-U-ming is bad.

Rob

Indeed it is. Like when you assume things are going to be wrongfully used. When you assume things are going to be taken further then they are. You cant critisize me for assuming rob, when you have done exactly that. Relating this to 9/11. saying these things need to be stopped before they get out of hand. Sound like some pretty big assumptions there.

The only thing that typing and eye wear thickness affect is your inability to get laid.

Remember way back when this thread was about Apple taking information from the users computer and sending it to headquarters to facilitate the Mini-music store? Way back before it became a litany of insults and traded barbs. Before Inis became angry (whoops, sorry it started out that way). Before anyone thought about penis size or piked corpses. Before all the hate and before the poorly written analogies... It seems like just yesterday.

Those of us concerned about privacy had a loud enough, spelled e-n-o-u-g-h, voice to make a difference.

MacWorld Note

This is what they should have done in the first place, duh.

I think (oooh, that makes my head hurt) we established a line in the sand regarding privacy, and Apple responded positively.

Strangely, they didn't insult those of us who thought they'd made a mistake, no one had to take down his pants for a tape measure, and no analogies were made.

Potential harm averted. Apple is no longer encroaching on the Dark Side.

I guess Jobs is going to save that pike for someone else. Whew!

-Rob

whats the big deal, it doesn't hurt anybody. if u don't want it turn it off. it doesn't send out info if you turn it off. if you're so concerned about what song you're listening to (how can that hurt you) just downgrade.

Mac iTunes 6.0.1

PC iTunes 6.0.1

I think this topics is done now. Apple took it out, and this topic has gotten off topic a few times, so I am going to go ahead and lock it. If you would like to continue to talk about the issue (not any of the personal sub issues :P) just start a new thread.