Sign in to follow this  
steve_sch

New Macs Theory? Your opinions please!!

I know i am new to this whole mac business only having been a mac user for about a year. I know alot of you guys will be far far more experienced but i have an idea for you all and would like to hear your views. We all know apple likes optimisation simplification, making things better etc. but we have just seen a new mac announced- the power book is soon to be made obsolite because as revealed at the keynote speech they want mac in the name of their new products. So does this mean that we will get a new look, fully featured iBook *looks hopefull*, like a mac book or somthin now that would be cool and furthermore does this mean we could soon see a whole new range of new look macs? again looking hopefull lol.I am not trying to start a rumour but i am looking for opinions on my idea and would like to know other peoples opinions on this matter thanks,

Steve. :idea:

I doubt it will be completly new. I think it is obvious that the next gen ibook will be called the macbook [macbook & macbookpro, makes sense to me] and my sense is that based on what we saw with the macbookpro the macbook will be pretty close to the current ibook. I think that the macbook will be a little slimmer and will probably have some of the stuff on the macbookpro has like the magsafe and the next gen pc card slot but overall I feel like it will be fairly similar to the current ibook just sleeker.

Thanks for your opinion im just wondering what we will get with the other models do you think any other models will change in physical shape and or size or looks etc, that wouyld be interesting like i wonder if they add a new mac or something or wether they just update the mac mini and the powermac ibook updates etc?

I think that as far as portables there will continue to be only 2 model lines, the macbook and the macbookpro. I do think that there will eventually be more screen choices but thats about it. I am not sure what is going to happen with the G5 towers. I would think that there will actually be a different processor since the one that is currently being used is biased towards heat and power consumption rather than raw performance. I also think it will be at least june before the towers come out. I think that the mac mini will morph into a something to compete with a media center pc and the form factor may change. Whatever happens with it I really see media center in it's future. So to answer your question I don't think that there will be anything drastically different. I think there will be a pro level and a consumer level portable with various screen options; a pro level tower; consumer level imacs; and a media center mac mini.

I certainly think you are along the right lines. I think we will see a MacBook (hopefully not a MacDesk and MacDesk Pro though ;)) and I think we will see new models. I also think the MacBook Pro will be replaced sometime soon and that something very cool will be released in April.

I don't think we will see a whole new range of Macs because it wouldn't make any business sense and the iMac for example is a whole different league right now. I think the PowerMacs will be a complete design overhaul though.

I certainly think you are along the right lines. I think we will see a MacBook (hopefully not a MacDesk and MacDesk Pro though ;)) and I think we will see new models. I also think the MacBook Pro will be replaced sometime soon and that something very cool will be released in April.

I don't think we will see a whole new range of Macs because it wouldn't make any business sense and the iMac for example is a whole different league right now. I think the PowerMacs will be a complete design overhaul though.

I hope you're right with the PowerMac's design overhaul, but I could imagine that Apple just uses the PowerMac G5 Tower Design an integrates some new stuff to it...

The iMac and the MacBook Pro just seem to give enough hints on future deisgns...

Considering the PowerMac G5 Quad I could imagine Apple showign us a Dual Core Duo (or more Cores) Intel based MacDesk or MacTower Pro in the actual PowerMac G5 Case!

I really hope they will offer a little more mounting space for additional harddrives and perhaps something like the new raid features intel is integrating in their chipsets!

I would appreceate it even more if Apple would integrate something innovative and usefull as RAID3 or RAID5 like Netcell's RAIDXL or SyncRaid in their new Pro Models.

I believe we'll see somtehing new from Apple for Professionals and Prosumers around NAB 2006, but it seems to bee looking like the already known designs...

I think all the new Intel Macs will look like the old PowerPC based Macs.

For the simple reason Apple wants to show people, that they are still macs, just different on the inside.

If they would design new Macs right away it more looks like a diffrent PC, but if they look like the old Macs, the new Machines are in our minds Intel baed Macs and not PC

I think all the new  Intel Macs will look like the old PowerPC based Macs.

For the simple reason Apple wants to show people, that they are still macs, just different on the inside.

If they would design new Macs right away it more looks like a diffrent PC, but if they look like the old Macs, the new Machines are in our minds Intel baed Macs and not PC

Not only that but if you check out Matt's site he has a quote from Steve where he is talking about the similarities between the powerbooks and the macbookpros where he says "The form factors [the physical design] are perfect, we don’t know how to make them any better."

I would say that pretty much sums it up. I would guess they will just keep getting thinner and sleeker for a while.

Now with the eMac in education I think their needs to be some desktop between the mini and iMac. I expect cheaper iBooks, er, MacBooks and also maybe ultralight style iBooks. A la ThinkSecret rumors. 8)

We don't know what may happen with the ibook. I think there is a good chance of a new design, And as the CPU that it'll probably use is out at june the latest (according to intel). That's plenty of time to redesign its look.

We don't know what may happen with the ibook. I think there is a good chance of a new design, And as the CPU that it'll probably use is out at june the latest (according to intel). That's plenty of time to redesign its look.

I am almost sure the iBooks will be at least a little redesigned, because:

- Apple is really into Widescreen Displays,

- the iBook is the only Mac without a Widescreen Display (despite Mac mini and eMac) ;-))

- 1024 x 768 Pixels Resolution is way too few when the iBook has to compete with other (Wintel) Notebooks in that price range and with the same Chips inside!!!

I would love to see the 17" PB turn into an extremely powerful gaming system with a pentium 4 ee and a Nvidia 7800GTX.

I would love to see the 17" PB turn into an extremely powerful gaming system with a pentium 4 ee and a Nvidia 7800GTX.

http://Alienware.com

Seriously; if you want to game, if you want a machine built to game, buy an Alienware or build your own PC. Macs aren't designed for this and it simply won't work as well. More games are also designed for the PC and are either not ported, or badly ported to the Mac.

I would love to see some completely redesigned machines, but sadly I think that the first round of Intel Macs will look pretty much the same as the last round of PPC Macs. The reasons I have heard for this center around the time and cost required to redesign the case and internal arrangement of a computer when Apple is already in a hurry to get a full Intel product line.

Apple definitely has the best-designed products on the market today, but I'm a bit disappointed that they appear to have stagnated a bit in that area. Apple got to where they are now by making things that looked radically different from anything else on the market. Back in the early days of the iMac, everyone was stunned to see a computer that looked like that. And they would change their designs frequently so that they couldn't be imitated. By the time all the PC manufacturers had gotten ahold of the "translucent colored plastic" concept, Apple had moved on to the pristine white shell and the strong geometric form.

But now that Apple has slowed down their innovations in industrial design, it's getting tougher to differentiate them from the herd. The last time I went to Circuit City, I counted at least five big-brand laptops on display that looked like rip-offs of the iBook or PowerBook case design.

But hopefully, Apple will have something radically different sometime soon.

Great response, agingeri. I really enjoyed reading it because you think as I do. My only issue that I think our minds are blurring the timeline. It hasn't really been all that long... I'd say next year will be about perfect.

Great response, agingeri. I really enjoyed reading it because you think as I do. My only issue that I think our minds are blurring the timeline. It hasn't really been all that long... I'd say next year will be about perfect.

I totally agree with Matt, it hasn't been that long the iMac has only been out for like 1 y 5 m, and the question really is what you can you do so diffrent about a Laptop? There is not really too much that you can do. And also I haven't seen any Laptops ever that looked anything like an iBook or PowerBook, given I don't see new Laptos that frequently but I think that still is the case at least here in Germany, do you have any examples on the internet with pics agingeri?

Cheers

Does anyone think Apple will come out with a Tablet Mac of some kind? Any good names you can come up with also? MacTab (goes with MacBook)?

lol, the name sounds like it came from a McDonald's value meal, lol

Anyways, I don't think a tablet notebook is in apple's future. but I could see them doing something else. What I don't know, but it'd be innovative that's for sure. Oh wait, maybe an apple brand of PDA?