Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Joshuabrix

Qestions about wating to buy MACBOOK PRO!

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if i should buy the first macbooks to come out, i've been waiting and i was going to buy a powebook 15" but then i decided to wait for the intel macs. I was going to wait untill june, but this is even better. I don't really care software becusae i'll be able to get all of the software i absolutly need in march, like final cut. I was wondering what the potential for Bugs and system mishaps that are likey to be with this machine when they're shipped. also i was wondering if it would be a good idea to wait, although i'm dying to get one, or get one now and if i would be alright or not. Your replies are GREATLY apprecieated, and i hope to hear some advice. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wait as long as you can before buying. You'll be giving Apple more chance to iron out any early manufacturing defects there may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that I have been doing research because I plan on buying a macbookpro the second they hit stores. If you can wait you should because none of the software is ready. From what I have heard on other podcast, TWIT and dl.tv, using one of the the macbooks is crazy fast for safarai, boot up, iphoto etc. but when I called Adobe they had no info about when there would be a universal binary. They did say that CS2 would work in rosetta and seemed to be saying that the performance should be similar to what you would see on a G4 powerbook [you won't be getting the full potential of the new machine]. When I called extensis they confirmed that their new version of suitcase called fusion would run in rosetta and that they would be releasing a free upgrade to universal binary around april but they would not say if suitcase x1 would run and flatly said they had not tested it and had no plans to test it now that fusion has been released. So if none of your apps will run why bother? On the other hand for me I am getting the feeling that while it might be a while before the apps I use are optimized they will run and I think it will be an upgrade over the dual 1.4Ghz Pc I am currently using at home.

 

If anyone has heard info on Adobe's plans I would love to hear about it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can tell you that I have been doing research because I plan on buying a macbookpro the second they hit stores.  If you can wait you should because none of the software is ready.  From what I have heard on other podcast, TWIT and dl.tv, using one of the the macbooks is crazy fast for safarai, boot up, iphoto etc.  but when I called Adobe they had no info about when there would be a universal binary.  They did say that CS2 would work in rosetta and seemed to be saying that the performance should be similar to what you would see on a G4 powerbook [you won't be getting the full potential of the new machine].  When I called extensis they confirmed that their new version of suitcase called fusion would run in rosetta and that they would be releasing a free upgrade to universal binary around april but they would not say if suitcase x1 would run and flatly said they had not tested it and had no plans to test it now that fusion has been released.  So if none of your apps will run why bother?  On the other hand for me I am getting the feeling that while it might be a while before the apps I use are optimized they will run and I think it will be an upgrade over the dual 1.4Ghz Pc I am currently using at home.  

 

If anyone has heard info on Adobe's plans I would love to hear about it .

 

Apple are moving for March, so I would expect April at the latest. Adobe are loosing a lot every day they don't have a Universal running for Intel customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can tell you that I have been doing research because I plan on buying a macbookpro the second they hit stores.  If you can wait you should because none of the software is ready.  From what I have heard on other podcast, TWIT and dl.tv, using one of the the macbooks is crazy fast for safarai, boot up, iphoto etc.  but when I called Adobe they had no info about when there would be a universal binary.  They did say that CS2 would work in rosetta and seemed to be saying that the performance should be similar to what you would see on a G4 powerbook [you won't be getting the full potential of the new machine].  When I called extensis they confirmed that their new version of suitcase called fusion would run in rosetta and that they would be releasing a free upgrade to universal binary around april but they would not say if suitcase x1 would run and flatly said they had not tested it and had no plans to test it now that fusion has been released.  So if none of your apps will run why bother?  On the other hand for me I am getting the feeling that while it might be a while before the apps I use are optimized they will run and I think it will be an upgrade over the dual 1.4Ghz Pc I am currently using at home.  

 

If anyone has heard info on Adobe's plans I would love to hear about it .

 

Apple are moving for March, so I would expect April at the latest. Adobe are loosing a lot every day they don't have a Universal running for Intel customers.

 

Is it really that much Adobe is loosing????

I really often hear from graphics professionals that they are still using OS 9!

So why do you think Adobe would use that much money?

 

Surely they wnat to get out their Universal Binaries as soon as possible, but they don't have so much to loose as Apple (beginning a transition and not beeing able to supply the professional applications)...

Adobe has professional customers that are used to rely on their systems and software for some years.

For them it's more important to have great features and not to support the newest CPUs...

I think they needed some time to get AltiVec optimization in their Apps..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well but at the keynote in June the CEO of Adobe promised they would be the first one out with Universal Binaries at least from the big companies I believe.

 

Maybe they have a lot of problems but I would expect all major apps to running naively on Intel by the time we hit WWDC in June-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on waiting for my MacBook until they add a dual layer superdrive then I will buy it, Adobe should ship there Universial binaries in April or May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PowerMac G5 came with a superdrive that was not DL capable. I flashed the rom on the drive with that of a DL capable drive and can now burn DL drives. Though I may have voided any warranty I had left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My PowerMac G5 came with a superdrive that was not DL capable.  I flashed the rom on the drive with that of a DL capable drive and can now burn DL drives.  Though I may have voided any warranty I had left.

That is very cool. Tell us how to do it please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My PowerMac G5 came with a superdrive that was not DL capable.  I flashed the rom on the drive with that of a DL capable drive and can now burn DL drives.  Though I may have voided any warranty I had left.

That is very cool. Tell us how to do it please!

 

I followed these directions. I took a risk and came out ok. You can render your drive useless doing this so keep that in mind.

 

http://xlr8yourmac.com/tips/FlashingDVR-117guide.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My PowerMac G5 came with a superdrive that was not DL capable.  I flashed the rom on the drive with that of a DL capable drive and can now burn DL drives.  Though I may have voided any warranty I had left.

That is very cool. Tell us how to do it please!

 

I followed these directions. I took a risk and came out ok. You can render your drive useless doing this so keep that in mind.

http://xlr8yourmac.com/tips/FlashingDVR-117guide.html

Very cool! I will remember to do this to my grandfather's Dual G5. That is, if it needs it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well but at the keynote in June the CEO of Adobe promised they would be the first one out with Universal Binaries at least from the big companies I believe.

 

Maybe they have a lot of problems but I would expect all major apps to running naively on Intel by the time we hit WWDC in June-

 

I was under the impression that Quark already had the universal binary available. Not that I care since Quark sucks but I swear I heard somewhere that it was ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at Macworld and got to play around with the new macbook ( hate the name)

but it is lightening fast IF you are using apple apps

Anything else if its using Rosetta won't be able to use the full power of this battlestation...sorry geeked out there for a second but you know what i mean

I would wait until all apps are on board with it and you can use it at its full potential! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is it really that much Adobe is loosing????

I really often hear from graphics professionals that they are still using OS 9!

 

 

OS 9 ??? I'm a freelance art director working for a number of ad agencies, design shops and such. Not one business or freelancer I know is still using OS 9. The fact is converting to OS X was expensive but the productivity and speed bumps were well worth the expenditure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the most important thing is to wait for the software you are using to become available.

 

We are almost through March already and no sign of the Apple updates.

 

There are rumours flying about that Adobe might be ready earlier than they first said (ThinkSecret), but with the powermac line still in PPC, there is little reason for them to rush until those machines start to circulate.

 

If you are a big CS2 user I would wait until the software looks to be closer. That time spent waiting will allow time for any bugs to be ironed out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a print designer and a big CS2 user. At work I currently have a G5 1.8Ghz Imac with 1GB of RAM and I was recently working on a dual 450Mhz G4 tower with 896MB of RAM. I actually think in many instances the G4 was faster [maybe because I am running dual moniter on the Imac] but regardglass I did not notice a performance hit moving to a macbookpro 2.0Ghz w/1GB of RAM. The thing that has been a problem though is the little stuff. For example I am having a hell of a time getting shockwave player to work, there is no way that I can watch windows media, and Word was running so slow the other day that you would type a few words before the curser would catch up. To be fair I have not experienced this problem with word before or after and I don't know why I had that problem but it is using nearly 100MB of RAM to run. As far as CS2 though I have not had a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×