Sign in to follow this  
punica888

What means optical, digital and line-level?

Hi

This is from the description of the PowerMacs:

Optical digital audio input, optical digital audio output, analog line-level input, analog line-level output,

Could somebody explain to me what this means? I don't understand optical, digital and line-level.

Can you use any of these things to connect an electric guitar to your computer?

Or what are these digital, optical and line-level things being used for?

Thanks a lot

:)

Optical digital out/in: Digital data (ones and zeros) is sent over an optical cable via light. Optical cables have a thin glass (perhaps plastic) wire that the data is transmitted through. Because the data is digital, whatever is receiving it must be able to decipher it. Optical cables are most commonly used for sending multichannel audio from DVD players to AV receivers. However, they can also be used to send two channel stereo data.

Analog in/out: Data is sent or received in an analog form at a specific "line level". I believe line level is usually around 2 volts, but can be higher or lower (but I think 5 volts is about the max). This connection is for inputting or outputting standard audio data, usually for recording purposes.

As to the question about connecting your guitar: I'm not sure but I think you'll need some additional hardware to do that.

Optical digital out/in: Digital data (ones and zeros) is sent over an optical cable via light. Optical cables have a thin glass (perhaps plastic) wire that the data is transmitted through. Because the data is digital, whatever is receiving it must be able to decipher it. Optical cables are most commonly used for sending multichannel audio from DVD players to AV receivers. However, they can also be used to send two channel stereo data.

Analog in/out: Data is sent or received in an analog form at a specific "line level". I believe line level is usually around 2 volts, but can be higher or lower (but I think 5 volts is about the max). This connection is for inputting or outputting standard audio data, usually for recording purposes.

As to the question about connecting your guitar: I'm not sure but I think you'll need some additional hardware to do that.

Thanks a lot Rail Rider fox explaining that.

To my question about he guitar that was just an example that I thought off.

What I was really wondering was what are examples for using digital or analog in/out.

What does a typical PowerMac User who buys it for the reason of having digital in/out do with such connectivity?

Thanks a lot again for explaining the main question much appreciated.

What does a typical PowerMac User who buys it for the reason of having digital in/out do with such connectivity?

Well, I'm sure there are tons of uses. For instance, people who do sound effects can use the inputs (digital or analog, depending on their recording equipment) to get their sounds into the Mac. Once those samples are on the Mac's hard drive, they can use software to make all kinds of cool sound effects for movies.

As far as outputs, a soundtrack person could assemble a 5.1 (or 6.1 or 7.1) soundtrack, then send the final soundtrack to a surround sound system to ensure it has been mastered correctly.

Just a few examples that I can think of.

Basically, 99.9% of people in the world wont need optical. so i wouldnt sweat it.

Basically, 99.9% of people in the world wont need optical.  so i wouldnt sweat it.

Only on the basis that 99.9% of the world don't know they have optical input/output as well as analogue on hi-fi's and the like.

Basically, 99.9% of people in the world wont need optical.  so i wouldnt sweat it.

Only on the basis that 99.9% of the world don't know they have optical input/output as well as analogue on hi-fi's and the like.

lol, im sure thats part of it.

As far as connecting an electric guitar to a Mac is concerned, the pickups on an electric guitar produce a very low level signal. You will definitely need a preamplifier to get the signal level high enough to drive the line level inputs on a Mac.