Sign in to follow this  
punica888

why would you need extra Ram on the Graphics card?

Hey Guys

I amgoing to ordermyself a new Intel iMac, but I am not quite sure if I should spend the extra 60 EUR to get the 256 MB graphics card instead of 128MB.

Anybody know where the RAM on the Graphics card actually makes a difference?

I have also decided to order the 250 GB instead of the 500 GB harddrive.

As I see no reason to spend way over 250 EUR on an extra 250 GB hardrive when I can get a 250 GB Firewire harddrive for 130 EUR if I ever need more than 250 GB (and I already have a 250GB and 160 GB externa)

Or does anyone see a good reason why I should get the 500 GB?

Cheers guys

Get the extra vram.

Theoretically it should help with things such as gaming, video editing, rendering/image editing and basically anything visual. If you can afford it, go for it, if you can't don't. You won't know the difference during normal use. It's all a matter of money. RAM is far more important than vRAM to most people though.

I will then get the extra vRam the extra 60 EUR does not make a big difference to the over 1500 EUR i am already paying.

But I think as the time comes I will upgrade the RAM from 512 MB to 1024 MB

Thanks for the answers guys :)

As long as you realize what a difference an extra 512Mb of RAM will make no matter what you do as apposed to the vRAM making relatively no difference. It won't do much and you won't suddenly get better graphics. I would only really recommend extra vRAM to gamers (who will really want a PC) and those wishing to run large monitors.

well yeah I realize that, but I am playing with the idea of dual booting vista when it comes out to play games, and I might attach another cinema display to the mac in the future, so I believe its deffinetly the right choice.

Just ordered the iMac apparently it will take six days to ship can't wait :twisted: :P 8) :D

Congratulations; you will have a fine machine.

if you are running dual monitors, get the 256. You definately don't want to skimp there.

Once again though, dual or not, the ram wont affect any normal operation what so ever. And you will never play a video game or wattch a movie on two at the same time, so theres really no benfit there either.

if you are running dual monitors, get the 256. You definately don't want to skimp there.

Once again though, dual or not, the ram wont affect any normal operation what so ever. And you will never play a video game or wattch a movie on two at the same time, so theres really no benfit there either.

well benefit or not, now I will have 256 MB, maybe its 60 EUR thrown out of the window, aor one day I will really glad when for some weird reason I will want to play a DVD on both screens or a new game comes out with which it will be useful to have 2 screens who knows and looking into the future 3 years from now 128 MB will anyway probably look like nothing while 256MB might at least look like a nano :P (got the worldplay) hehe