Sign in to follow this  
James "Psy" K

iWeb Text

I brought this up in another discussion but have not seen any other posts on the topic.

What I thought was an issue depending on the theme you choose in iWeb turns out to be an issue between whether or not you publish to .mac or to a folder for posting on another server.

The issue is that If you publish to a folder, iWeb converts all your text to a transparent .png file. THIS SUCKS MAJOR WET ASS!!! I am assuming that pages posted on .mac are using CSS that is stored on .mac servers. It converts text to graphics when publishing to a folder because the CSS file is unavailable from any other server than .mac. Why can't the CSS file reside on the same server that you decide to host your folder-published iWeb website? I would much rather host my site on my personal server since I have 20GB of server space that is begging to be used. I guess I'll use my .mac account until they fix this awful workaround.

Has anyone else seen this?

When I exported my site to a local folder, iWeb did not convert the text to a .PNG image. The text that I entered is in the .html file.

Hmmm. This is odd. Hope someone else has this issue otherwise I'll need to check myself into the loony bin.

Looks like it's the looney bin my friend. Sorry but I have had the same experience as Kerry.

DAMN! I swore that I would never need to be committed again!!

Matt, I replied to your image masking issue on another post and posted a sample on my server using the publish to folder function. Please check it out and tell me if you can select the text at text or as an image.

The sample is posted at:

www.jameskocsis.com/matthoult

The text still appears in the code but not when viewed in a browser.

DAMN! I swore that I would never need to be committed again!!

Matt, I replied to your image masking issue on another post and posted a sample on my server using the publish to folder function. Please check it out and tell me if you can select the text at text or as an image.

The sample is posted at:

www.jameskocsis.com/matthoult

The text still appears in the code but not when viewed in a browser.

Agreed. My mistake. Damn, that's odd.

In my experience, iWeb only converts text to PNG if it is heavily formatted. With shadows or something. Everything else I've made has normal text, although there is one page in particular that keeps generating as a PNG and I cannot figure that one out. Otherwise, no problem.

OK, found one solution on Apple's Support iweb discussion board...

iWeb converts Arial 2.90 to a PNG but leaves Arial 2.60 as text when publishing.

Disable 2.90 in Font Book. You can check the version by selection the font and then choosing Show Font Info from the Preview menu in Font Book. Once you detrmine which Arial version is 2.90 is, disable it from the edit menu.

Hope this helps some of you.