Sign in to follow this  
eternalnewb

Widgets do "slow the computer"-- by using RAM

Widgets use almost 0% CPU when Dashboard is hidden, but they do use a considerable bit of RAM.

<long story> I found that Garageband would only play 2 tracks for me, because the computer did not have enough RAM, which didn't make sense because I have 512 MB of it... I kept looking for different problems with the computer, and at point I restarted the computer. Widgets don't start until you open Dashboard for the first time, which is why you will have blank outlines with no data when you first turn on the computer and open Dashboard. This time Garageband worked, and Activity Moniter told me that the error message I was getting was because the CPU was overloaded... at 50 tracks. I looked around Activity Moniter some more and experimented... turns out I had 300 MB of RAM going to all of the Widgets that I never bothered to close because "they are only little programs..." </storytelling>

If any of you do not feel like reading that whole thing, basically: Widgets use around 20 MB of RAM each. 15 of them will make the computer slow.

so the moral of the story kids is.. buy more ram. lol, im using just over 512 mb on my widgets right now. glad i have thhat extra 4 to spare.

You can never be too rich or have too much ram.

I tend to disagree, never too much ram, but you can be overly rich.

cough **gates** cough :x

Well he got his money making a crappy OS.

i wouldn't call it making, i would call it stealing. But im gonna stop hijacking this post.

i wouldn't call it making, i would call it stealing. But im gonna stop hijacking this post.

I was being nice. Not that he deserves it.

I discovered widgets' memory usage myself while playing with the Activity Monitor. I was surprised at how much memory they used even when closed, so I disabled all but a few widgets.

I can't believe more people don't talk about this issue. It's something all new users should know.

Question: Once you've opened Dashboard is there anything other than restarting your Mac that will reclaim that memory?

Closing the Widgets? I guess you meant a way to make them idle and not quite on... you could log out. The fast user-switching "login window" where you can leave programs running but require a password will not work, because the whole point is to leave programs running.

Question: Once you've opened Dashboard is there anything other than restarting your Mac that will reclaim that memory?

Use activity monitor to quit the dock process.

What is the capcity of widegets you can have without slowing yourr computer too muuch

How much ram do you have?

512 RAM

1, 2 tops.

Depends on how much RAM you need, too. I can have 100 MB of widgets open if I am going to be using only Word and iTunes or something... but when it gets to making a PowerPoint (HUGE memory user!), listening to music, browsing the internet, and using PhotoShop (though OS 9.Classic) I need all the RAM I can get.

I usually keep dictionary or calculator open, and I don't even notice it. However, when I am using all of the programs mentioned above as well as a moon calandar or lyrics program (I actually use all of those at once when working on a large school project), iTunes starts to glitch, and PPT slows down a lot.

I say only keep a few open, but even 5 of them will only add up to about one full program worth of RAM... but some of the time you cannot spare a program worth of RAM.

EDIT: Widgets are "programs", technically. I mean full sized application (Photoshop, PPT, FireFox) by "program".

I don't know if someone posted about this, but theres a very handy widget called "QUITdock" I use it to turn on and off dashbourd. (apple.com)

Works Like a charm! :D

BTW, you can also use Terminal to type "Killall Dock" to shut down and restart the dock, sending the widgets back to the state where the shapes are there, but they are blank... basically waiting to be started.

Sign in to follow this