Sign in to follow this  
PSA

iMac Core Duo speed vs. iMac G5 speed observed.

Guys,

Do you think that everyday users will really experience a noticeable difference between the Core Duo and the G5's.

Today at Compusa I was playing around with a new 20" iMac Core Duo 2ghz. Of course the machine is fast. No question. But when I got home my 2ghz G5 really did not seem slower. OSX native programs such as iLife opened about as quick on both machines. Working inside of them was about as quick as well. The machines just felt pretty even. The only noticeable difference was MS Office loading pretty slow under the Rosetta emulation but that should be remedied in the next few months.

I know Steve Jobs indicated a 2-3X speed increase in the benchmarks in the new iMacs but I just didn't see it at all at my usage level. I don't do anything serious on my Mac other than just enjoy a nice day to day user experience and play with home movies, pics, email, web stuff, etc. Maybe doing real stuff at the pro or semi-pro level is where Core Duo pulls ahead. I guess my underlying point is that if you are just a home user you might want to go check out one of the Core Duo's to see if you neccessarily notice a speed difference as well. I mention this because I like many others' first inclination was to upgrade sooner than later to the new Core Duo's but I really think I am fine right where I am.

ya i don't think that the average user will see much of a speed difference until more applications go universial

but man do those things but up fast :lol:

I think you need to edit. I dont think any computer buts quickly, well maby a PC.... :P

Yeah iPhoto runs very fast on my iMac.

I played with one (VERY briefly) in our local Apple store.

The Apple (native) apps did seem to run fast, but MS Word (under Rosetta) started up quite slowly, a similar speed to my powerbook 12".

Still planning on getting one though!!

Anyone have any idea about running photoshop or CS2 under rossetta? From talking to Apple and Adobe I got the sense that the performance would be similar to running it on a G4 powerbook. Meaning it wouldn't be much slower, if at all, then what you can get now [in a laptop] but once they have a universal binary out it would be much faster.

Steve Jobs actually uses Photoshop during the keynote address and from what I saw it seemed to run about as well as a friend's PB. Course I figure we'll know just how fast the thing can be once photoshop is off rosetta.

iPhoto ran on a 2.0 core duo with all advantages the same speed as a 2.0 ghz g5 iMac.

Acording to a certain someone who has tested the thing up close and persoanlly, you hardly even see it boot up.

Anyone try Dreamweaver 8 on the new Intel Mac?

This is the only thing that has stopped me getting one as I use Dreamweaver all the time for my day job. The rest of the time I'm just using the iLife apps, Final Cut Express (I can live without this until March) and MS Office (happy to run under Rosetta as I do not use it that much).

it will be several months before macromedia and adobe catch up to the intel chip for mac. I would wait.

I am finding it a little annoying that <B>none</b> of the software companies are giving an indication of when Universal Binaries will be available.

Although a thought just occured. Seeing as MS are complaining that they are going to have to almost 'rebuild' Office, we may find ourselves with a faster and much more effficient version than on PC if all the bloaty old code is thrown out!

A member of our Folding team just started using an Intel iMac with a gig of RAM. It runs the Folding software under Rosetta and produces slightly less than my 1.42 Mac mini with 512 mb RAM. His 1.8 ghz iMac G5 produces nearly double what my mini does. That's a pretty serious hit for running under emulation. Based on what he's seeing, I won't be buying one until the software has caught up. :(

I am finding it a little annoying that <B>none</b> of the software companies are giving an indication of when Universal Binaries will be available.

Although a thought just occured. Seeing as MS are complaining that they are going to have to almost 'rebuild' Office, we may find ourselves with a faster and much more effficient version than on PC if all the bloaty old code is thrown out!

I think this is a gross understatement. I mean what the f is wrong with Adobe do they not realize that most of their user base is using macs and people want to upgrade. If you go to their website they don't even address it. You have to call them and then they have pretty much no info. Why can't they just have a little blurb on the webpage acknowledging it and saying they are working on it. It's just terrible customer service.

I think this is a gross understatement. I mean what the f is wrong with Adobe do they not realize that most of their user base is using macs and people want to upgrade. If you go to their website they don't even address it. You have to call them and then they have pretty much no info. Why can't they just have a little blurb on the webpage acknowledging it and saying they are working on it. It's just terrible customer service.

A member of our Folding team just started using an Intel iMac with a gig of RAM. It runs the Folding software under Rosetta and produces slightly less than my 1.42 Mac mini with 512 mb RAM. His 1.8 ghz iMac G5 produces nearly double what my mini does. That's a pretty serious hit for running under emulation

I think that's actually very fast for emulation. Wow, other powerpc emulators won't reach near that performance.

Anyway, the speed advantage of the Core Duo will certainly be noticed more as more universal binaries are created. The SPEC test while not a real world test is a valid test and does give us a good indication of the effective efficency of both CPU designs.