Sign in to follow this  
Pilitus

Moving Itunes files to external drive.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my searches can't seem to turn it up.

I need to move part of my purchased itunes music to an external drive.

Find the file on your hard drive. Drag to drive. Simple!

Find the file on your hard drive. Drag to drive. Simple!

nope. the music in your music folder is organized by artist not by when it was purchased, but you could make a smart folder on the external HD in tiger.

Well, I know that. But if you only have 10 songs, right clicking (Ctrl-Click) and "Show File", isn't to hard to do.

But if you have a lot, make a Data CD from the Purchased Music Playlist. Then copy the files from the DVD/CD to the External HD.

I think there may be more to the question than meets the eye (or not). Do you want to keep the music available to iTunes? If so, that will require proper iTunes settings.

OK guys, I think you all missed the boat. If you're trying to free up space on your HD while maintaining a link to iTunes, drag the iTunes directory over (essentially making a copy), delete the original and then finally drag an ailas back.

There you go.

- MT

i remember all of us talking about this a few months back. is this the most stable way, Matt. i remember that many people had idea's and not very many were stable. i am pretty interested in this with a 60Gb ibook and 30Gb worth of music.

I copied all of my music to my external drive and then copied an alias back to my music folder where the old iTunes folder was, but when I open iTunes, it automatically created a new iTunes folder and my iTunes library was empty! I even went into preferences for iTunes and selected the alias for the new location of my music! What do I need to do???

I'm not sure you can recover your playlists (someone else may want to clue Chris before he does what I say) but, you need to go into Itunes preferences and point your iTunes at the new location for your Library. It's in the Advanced tab of Preferences.

The way I did it was change the location of the iTunes library in preferences. Then I did a Consolidate Library. Then deleted the original library.

Sorry to bump an old topic but can I get an update on this?

I'm so low on HD space on my iBook too... and it's time to look at another option. I have the extrernal drive, and all my music is "backed up" on it, but I feel like I am almost wasting about 25GB of my iBook's HD, storing my iTunes stuff.

A couple questions:

- Is there any way to have all of my music, and "regular" videos, stored on the external USB hard drive, while retaining all of my Podcasts on my iBook's local drive?

- If all my music is on the external drive, when I start itunes, do I need to make sure my external hard drive is connected and powered on? Or does that matter?

Thanks! :)

Yes you need to make sure you USB hard drive is powered on or when you click to play a song it will ask you to locate it.

Sorry to bump an old topic but can I get an update on this?

I'm so low on HD space on my iBook too... and it's time to look at another option. I have the extrernal drive, and all my music is "backed up" on it, but I feel like I am almost wasting about 25GB of my iBook's HD, storing my iTunes stuff.

A couple questions:

- Is there any way to have all of my music, and "regular" videos, stored on the external USB hard drive, while retaining all of my Podcasts on my iBook's local drive?

- If all my music is on the external drive, when I start itunes, do I need to make sure my external hard drive is connected and powered on? Or does that matter?

Thanks! :)

I think the cleanest way to accomplish this would be to set up separate accounts on the iBook for the 2 collections. User "iBook" would keep iTunes library on the iBook and user "External" would have the iTunes library on the external drive. With Fast User Switching, either/both users can be logged on and you can switch between them as needed.

I'm not sure but I think with one user you'd need to have aliases of all the tracks on the external in your iTunes music folder (or, whatever is designated in iTunes preferences as iTunes Music Folder location.

Husker,

Thanks... Hey with 2 users though, will I be able to sync my iPod to get everything? Music AND podcasts? If so how do I do that?

I have 2 users right now... an Admin, and my regular user account I use daily... Being only a couple months new to Mac, is the "fast user switching" you mention pretty much like when I install a program on my user account, how it prompts me for the admin name and password?

Thanks again for the help!

I have 2 users right now... an Admin, and my regular user account I use daily... Being only a couple months new to Mac, is the "fast user switching" you mention pretty much like when I install a program on my user account, how it prompts me for the admin name and password?

I think this link explains it as well as can be without actually using it. It's easy to turn on and off so have a look yourself, it's very useful.

Thanks... Hey with 2 users though, will I be able to sync my iPod to get everything? Music AND podcasts? If so how do I do that?

That adds a whole new wrinkle.

Yes, it can be done, but, I don't think you easily could do an automatic sync that way. I have a new idea for you. First, put ALL your files on the external and point your main user iTunes library there.

Then, on your Admin account, have your iTunes library point at a local folder which only contains your podcasts. This method will require manual manipulation of your podcasts (they won't automatically be downloaded to that local folder), but, will allow you to haul around the podcasts when you don't have your external attached. What you'd need to do is have copies of all your podcasts on the iBook and, whenever you download new ones, you'd need to copy them over to the iBook. That can be accomplished with an Automator script but I'd probably do it manually for awhile to see if it's worth figuring out the whole process in Automator.

Note: Matt link on Fast User Switching really explains it. For me, it really just allows for multiple simultaneous users on one machine similar to Windows XP (but, better, of course :D )