Sign in to follow this  
kensterator

Suggestion

You should make a category called "old posts" to put old posts to save spce on the rest of the forum so people are looking at new posts instead of old ones

The forum automatically marks topics with new posts, all you have to do is click the arrow that points to the right at the front of the topic line.

roog

I think its about time to delete some members. For example, the second person on the member list has signed up on Apr 2005 and has not made a single post. It makes it harder to look up people oon the member list

I think its about time to delete some members.  For example, the second person on the member list has signed up on Apr 2005 and has not made a single post.  It makes it harder to look up people oon the member list

That happens to be Adam's test user account...

As for making it hard to find people, phpbb doesn't have an easy way to do it like some other forum software does, but it is easy enough to sort by name, and skip around until you are close to their name.

Also; if you are looking for a particular person, but for some reason can't find their post; try searching for their username and you will find a link to their post (or their userpage where you can find links to their posts also).

Can we, active users, have a uesrname@maccast.com mail account ONLY with active users that posts regularly?

Can we, active users, have a uesrname@maccast.com mail account ONLY with active users that posts regularly?

That would get very expensive very quickly and I doubt many would want to use it anyway. Is there a reason you would want an @maccast.com e-mail address?

That would get very expensive very quickly and I doubt many would want to use it anyway. Is there a reason you would want an @maccast.com e-mail address?

It would also be difficult to determine who is regularly posting and who isn't. Not to mention it opens a huge can of worms on Adam's part.

I would want a maccast.com email address because I love it when I have several email addresses. How about Adam makes a post questioning who wants a @maccast.com email and those who respond yes get one. Those epople are obvioously active and accually want one and to restrict it even more, the email account sholout be deleted if the person nieither sends nor recieves any email in 15 days.

I have five mail addresses already and that is way too many for my personal taste. Maybe if anyone wants an @maccast.com email address, they could pony up the money to help Adam offset the bandwidth charges that he will incur with that.

Or better yet, maybe we don't ask him about it at all and we just get back to helping people in the forums.

You know how in your podcast you say visit forum.maccast.com? I think to make this easier and get rid of the redirect is to delete your forum folder on your server and rename the phpbb folder to forum so redirects won't be necessary.

One way to save space is to get rid of users that have never posted who joined in June 2005 or earlier.

One more suggestion...

Do you have any new contests, those have been up for a long time

Please stop posting multiple times in a row, if you need to add something, edit your original reply.

Thanks!

You should make a category called "old posts" to put old posts to save spce on the rest of the forum so people are looking at new posts instead of old ones

i know you want to help and all but yur like a F**** dcitator like the fidel castr of macs! maybe someday the will post something so stfu. Lets let Adam, Mitch and Matt decide what goies on in here after all they are moderators and if you have any ideas forward it to them. thank you.

P.S. and i look at old pots al the time and i don't want the hassle of "is this in the hardware section?" new members will look throught it too after all they just joined in.

The simple idea of keeping old posts in the original categories is an integral part of the forum (online message board) concept. Keeping the threads in their original forum means that it is easily searchable and material is there for all to read at all times. When having issues on a forum there are certain things that "should" happen before posting for example; personal questioning, personal research, outside research, forum research (that's the important one here) and finally ask the question.

If the forum is used properly, at this stage, there should only really be newly arising issues with new products because 99% of all older issues (or even possibly older issues) have been covered and are here for your perusal with examples, links and conclusions.

For this reason we do not move posts to another category after x period of time. Realize that posts naturally rise and fall on forums in a perfect arch of interest and response.

You know how in your podcast you say visit forum.maccast.com? I think to make this easier and get rid of the redirect is to delete your forum folder on your server and rename the phpbb folder to forum so redirects won't be necessary.

I believe that's easier said than done. Don't think it's necessary, nor is it broken. You can always just go to maccast.com and click on Forum if that's your pleasure.

Realize that posts naturally rise and fall on forums in a perfect arch of interest and response.

Gee, that sounds almost poetic, Matt. :)

One more suggestion...

Do you have any new contests, those have been up for a long time

Please stop posting multiple times in a row, if you need to add something, edit your original reply.

Thanks!

Yes,

This same user was on my forum, and my forum members are extremely upset with him and want him banned because he has a trend of posting very spammy comments just to up his post count. If you look at his post record...you might think differently or similarly.

My posts are never spammy. They are "spammy" because SOME people Cough JJ and COUGH COUGH noncogitas have a bias against me and there is nothing we can do about it. The rest of the people are okay with me.

Can we please try to keep problems at other forums out of the MacCast Feedback section?

Thanks!