Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Cool Laptop Case

Since I am about to get a macbookpro it occurred to me that I will want a case and so I was wondering if anyone knew of a really cool case. I don't have a preference hard or soft but it must offer some protection. What I am looking for is something really cool. Something different and interesting.

I would personally think that a brown soft leather messanger bag would not only be stylish, but also functional for the macbook and accesories.

That is a good suggestion, but not only do I not think that it protects well enough it's a little too business for me. I am looking for something a little more artsy [i am a designer] or tech oriented. Definitly a good addition to the discussion though. Thanks

The online Apple Store has some stylish bags for a 15" PowerBook which would obviously fit the MacBook Pro also. I will ask my friend who specializes in this kind of thing also when I get a chance and report back.

artsy in what way...? Chances are you'll find something casual at a department store like Dillard's or even a specialty leather store will have something. All I've seen at Best Buy or Comp USA are simple nylon things in black. Always black. In the words of Thom from Queer Eye: They're hah-ribble!

I suppose artsy wasn't really a great description. Really I just want to have a case that most people don't have. So while I think that the targus black cases are good cases they are boring. Everyone has one. I want to harness the internet to find a really interesting case that no one I meet will have.

okay, I see where you're going, want one that'll turn heads, ummm... the only thing I can think of would be a very strange colour. Otherwise I havn't seen any bags that stand out and apart from others.

I have a Timbuk2 Medium Messanger that I had made with a 12" laptop sleeve for my iBook. I absolutely y it and I'm pretty rough with it. Couldn't ask for more!

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=539

this one looks like it might be a winner. Anyone use one of the smaller ones for a 12"? IS there room for a mouse? I think my favorite is still the axio but I really want to hear from someone that is using one to say how much it protects the computer inside of the bag from scratches and stuff.

I use a Tucano sort of wetsuit material case for my powerbook. This sits inside a leather bag I got made by http://www.htleather.co.uk/

Henry is one of the nicest people I've met, he's a one man band who hand makes the bags. So you can ring him up and get it customised to the hilt. Not too pricey either.

I'm not that keen on proper laptop bags, the last thing I want to do is advertise the fact that I have a laptop in my bag as I'm walking home.

Since I am in the states I don't think I can just ring him up and have him make me a bag. Thanks though. I am still thinking but I think in the end my favorite was http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx the alley. Seems to look cool plus it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

definately check out Crumpler bags. they do laptop and camera bags. Cool colours and it doesnt look like you have an expensive laptop with you so less chance of getting mugged. I got The Sinking Barge and it carries my digital SLR, 14" ibook and power supply etc with no probs.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/cartIndex.php?catId=5

although the website is seriously deranged.

I bought an STM from the accessories page on apple.com, and although it might not be as expensive as the backpacks on one of the link sites you posted, they generally look like the same material. If you go with the bookbag scheme, the only thing I suggest is getting one with some kind of soft material because the nylon material on the inside of my bag has allowed for some real tiny knicks and scratches that I can only see when I am at work under the florescent lights. I use it mostly at work, for homework (when I get my sometimes lenghty breaks), and it is an eyesore on a white ibook, I couldn't imagine the pain in a macbook being scuffed.

So you have an STM bag and you feel it is not soft enough on the inside? If so then I would look at the booq bags which seem to have a soft almost fleece lining, but cost much more. So what do you think does the STM bag protect well enough from scratches?

it protects my laptop quite nicely, it just has a very corse nylon material on the inside where the laptop fits into it's pouch. The bag is well designed but when you throw other items in the bag that have weight to them, the nylon rubs against the laptop and causes very tiny scratches. Like I said, its not major scratches, nothing you can notice, unless you're under a flourescent light. I will say, however, had I known about this ahead of time, I would have bought a bag with fleece lining. Although it is a nice all around bag, I just throw a piece of cloth in with the laptop to keep it from getting any worse. In STM's defence however, for the price, it really has nice features. extra slots for your ipod, harness latches all over the place, for snugger fit to your back, and it ventilates well too, so your back doesnt get all sweaty from carting around the weight. if you were to drop the bag, or in my case, if someone was to knock it over, rest assured that your laptop will be fine. The only flaw is the lining in the section for the laptop, if only they through a layer of fleece this thing would be a huge recommendation of mine.

i bought 2 of Larobe cases these are kinda cool. I'm a Graphic Designer and i sometimes take my powerbook with me to work to transfer files or be able to bring home work, and these sleeves work really well.

http://www.be-ez.com/prod_larobecolor.html

the only problem is that they dont sell in North America..i bought mine off ebay from a company called addestra or something.. here is their online store at ebay

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/addestra

those bags are nice!!! I think i'm going to get me one, thanks.