Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mTorbin

Software Update Failed??

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am in the process of reinstalling my OS. I installed Tiger using the full install disks I have, no problems. However, when I download the combined OS update, it fails every time.

What the hell is this?? Since when can I not update Tiger?? Has anyone had any trouble like this? I had a hard time believing that it's my system.

Thanks,

-MT

The update killed my Mac Mini and it said i trashed what was downloading and failed to boot.

The Chat worked again! Hehe.

What's the difference between the combo update and normal update? Which one should I be downloading for my g4 ibook?

What's the difference between the combo update and normal update? Which one should I be downloading for my g4 ibook?

The difference is from which update to which update it the download works. For example; Matt downloaded a combination update that took his OS version from 10.4.0 (I think) to 10.4.2. He then downloaded a further update to get form 10.4.2 to 10.4.4.

It's hard to explain, but combinations are multiple updates in one, which will then update the final .x more than once. A single update will update you from say .1 to .2 only. A single sub-version update.

If you use Software Update it will download the correct one for you only. If you wish to download manually then you are best checking your version first. Youc an do this through the Apple menu, clicking "About this Mac" and looking under the logo. You can then download the appropriate update from the Apple site.

Matt was having issues, so we tried a previous combination and then the latest single update, which seemed to work. Usually though you should be fine.

plink

sound of the penny dropping

many thanks