Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

forum issues

What is up with the forums? I read one single message tonight in the forums and when I clicked on the Go button at the bottom to return to the forum listing, all messages were marked read.

I have been away for three days moving because I sold my house. I was needing a MacCast forum fix. This blows!

What is up with the forums?  I read one single message tonight in the forums and when I clicked on the Go button at the bottom to return to the forum listing, all messages were marked read.

I have been away for three days moving because I sold my house.  I was needing a MacCast forum fix.  This blows!

Sounds like a Cookie problem (i've been having them too.) Clear the MacCast cookie that you have.

I hate to sound like a newbie, but how do I clear the MacCast cookie for Safari? :)

I hate to sound like a newbie, but how do I clear the MacCast cookie for Safari? :)

Go to the safari menue and chose reset safari.

Noo. That will reset Safari entirely (remove all of your cookies) so unless you want to do that, you will want to go to Preferences, Security, Show Cookies, and select all of the cookies that have maccast.com included in them. Remove them, and refresh the forums.

Is there a way to manage individual cookies?

Yes, see my previous post.

That will remove all of his cookies, and Kerry might not want to do that.

Go to Preferences-->Security-->show cookies

erase the ones labeled MacCast

-Rob

Thanks... When I wrote my post, yours had not popped up and when I went back to the thread listing, I did not notice it when mine was posted. :oops:

Thanks... When I wrote my post, yours had not popped up and when I went back to the thread listing, I did not notice it when mine was posted. :oops:

Don't worry about it. Just trying to help, and save you from losing all of your cookies :D

Wow! This thread moved fast. While I was typing my previous response four other responses popped up. That's service.

-Rob :wink:

I am still having the same issue. I have even reset Safari with no luck. This is getting pretty annoying. I come to the forums, read the first message and then everything is marked as read.

I am still having the same issue.  I have even reset Safari with no luck.  This is getting pretty annoying.  I come to the forums, read the first message and then everything is marked as read.
I have been having the problems off and on as well since the move. It appears as if we are alone with that one though, so I don't see how it could be a configuration error on adam's part.

It is weird. Like you said, it does appear to have started happening after the move. I thought it was because I had been using Safari at home and also viewing the forums at work with Firefox, but that never caused an issue before. Friday, I did not view the forums at work at all and today, I have the problem still.

OK.... this is too weird... I have figured something out. Whenever I click on the little green box to the left of the thread subject in a forum thread list to see the newest postings, it takes me to the thread and I am no longer logged into the system.

Any thoughts?

I've just switched from Safari over to the G5 enhanced version of Firefox. I cleared my cookies (in FireFox) so hopefully this will fix things.

BTW, the g5 build of Firefox is nice and fast!

I've just switched from Safari over to the G5 enhanced version of Firefox. I cleared my cookies (in FireFox) so hopefully this will fix things.

How much faster is it? Also would it work on my G4?

Well, for some work that I do I have to be logged into a support ticket system, and in Safari and the regular FireFox it would slow things to a crawl. Now it is at least usable, so it is a big improvement. It won't do you any good on a G4, it is a G5 optimized version. A G4 Optimized version is available here. http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2005/12...12/01/firefox15

Well, for some work that I do I have to be logged into a support ticket system, and in Safari and the regular FireFox it would slow things to a crawl. Now it is at least usable, so it is a big improvement. It won't do you any good on a G4, it is a G5 optimized version. A G4 Optimized version is available here.http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2005/12/01/firefox15[/b]

I got a 404 when I tried to get onto the G4 version.

Well, for some work that I do I have to be logged into a support ticket system, and in Safari and the regular FireFox it would slow things to a crawl. Now it is at least usable, so it is a big improvement. It won't do you any good on a G4, it is a G5 optimized version. A G4 Optimized version is available here.http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2005/12/01/firefox15[/b]

I got a 404 when I tried to get onto the G4 version.

Take the [/b] out of it. It was an error on my bbcoding.

To get this thread back on track... this issue is very annoying. I came in tonight, logged into the system and I was immediately greeted with all of my threads marked as already read.

To get this thread back on track... this issue is very annoying.  I came in tonight, logged into the system and I was immediately greeted with all of my threads marked as already read.

Sorry about the little sub topic :P Kwsanders, I don't know what to say truthfully. Sounds like there is an issue with the cookie you keep receiving. Are you noticing problems using other browsers as well?

Yes. It just happened to me here at the office using Firefox.

Yes.  It just happened to me here at the office using Firefox.

Kerry,

This probably isn't your situation, but I found I was having the same type of problem a few months ago. This is what I found...

I was going to the forum via the email responses: "Suchandsuch topic has a response. Click here to view the response." I'd use the email to get to the thread, read the thread, then move on to other things usually closing that window or tab in my browser. I found that because I had accessed the one thread then closed the browser, the cookie was marking everything else as seen even though I hadn't viewed any of the other threads at that time. Basically it counted my thread to that one thread as a "visit" to the forums, so the next time I went back to the forum, nothing was new.

I solved the problem by not accessing the threads from my email. I go directly to the forums and find the "view posts since last visit" link.

I hope this helps, but sadly I think my problem and your problem aren't the same.

Best Regards,

Rob