Sign in to follow this  
davidpope

iPod 5th Gen Video/Sound glitch fix?

Adam

I have experienced the video glitches and sound dropouts you covered last show on my 5th Gen 60GB iPod, after updating to the latest software from Apple. At first I thought this was because my iPod is almost full (I have backed up a lot of DVDs on it). So I deleted some of them - but the problem remained. Then I tried the following, and the problem so far has disappeared.

I ran DiskWarrior on my iPod.

DiskWarrior repaired any problems it found, and more importantly defragmented the iPod's hard disk. On checking the graph it offers after the operation, my iPod showed 0% fragmentation, and it subsequently has not exhibited the video and/or sound problems.

I understand that every time I hook it up to one of my Macs it gets a little bit more fragmented though, so I expect this problem will resurface in time, but since the DiskWarrior approach seems to keep it at bay, I shall just have to run DiskWarrior more often I suppose, until and unless Apple puts it right first.

I hope this helps you and your listeners. I greatly appreciate your show and the superb advice you give us all. Thank you! Keep it up!

David (in Oxford, UK)

Is DiskWarrrior use on the iPod "sanctioned" by Apple? I guess it's really moot for me now since my DiskWarrior is incompatible with my new 17" Core Duo iMac. But it's good to know for the future with my 60GB 5G iPod.

David

It is strange that you would be having these problems (and we are in a simialar situation) and I dont.

I tried to defrag my iPod but 1 1/2 hours later it was only 12% into the process...so I gave up.

I wish the videos on my iPod worked again :( I so don't want to start from scratch and have to load everything back on. Re-creating playlists is a job in itself.

And MicroMat's Podlock won't even scan my iPod...

I haven't had any trouble with my 60g, but I heard that the best thing to do is restore 1.0 until Apple fixes the problem.

Sign in to follow this