Sign in to follow this  
Wilfred

Speed up Spotlight - and the whole system

Maybe more of you noticed this one on The Mac Observer or even knew about it from earlier, but a good thing can't be said too often, so here goes:

As much as I love Spotlight for the time it saves me every day, it definitely gets slower as the hard drive fills up, but the trick is to add folders and directories to be excluded from searches and indexing. The problem is to know exact which to choose.

This is the one you all should choose:

Go to SysPrefs and Spotlight and under the Privacy tab you click the plus button and then you choose user/Library/Application Support

Immediately after you'll notice a remarkable improvement in speed and that goes for the whole system, since lots of apps write temporary files to that directory and Spotlight is always working on indexing those. And no mortal need to know the content of those files, anyway, so off ye go!

Great tip.

Yeah, that's a great tip, thanks for posting it.

I hate to be the sour note, but what happens when I want to delete something from my drive? Say I installed an application called hoopaloopis. If I do a search for hoopaloopis, I'll get the preferences, anything installed in app support as well as all the other incarnations of this app. If I add app support to privacy, won't I be shooting myself in the foot?

- MT

How many people (not the "you and me kind") will know how to do that or want to do that? I think it's a great tip for the less tech minded.

Yes but even us (geeks) might want to quickly locate 'hoopaloopis' in our drives!

I see this as more of a pass on tip than a use it yourself tip. I wouldn't do it (except to test it out - works great by the way) but non-geeks would benefit hugely.

Great tip. As a self proclaimed geek, I already know what's in that folder and I don't access it very often. I'd rather have the system speed and get things from that folder manually than have Spotlight searching a folder I access only periodically.

I noticed a big difference in my system and in spotlight.

Again, great tip.

-Rob

I hate to be the sour note, but what happens when I want to delete something from my drive?  Say I installed an application called hoopaloopis.  If I do a search for hoopaloopis, I'll get the preferences, anything installed in app support as well as all the other incarnations of this app.  If I add app support to privacy, won't I be shooting myself in the foot?

- MT

I guess you could just make a mental note to check that folder for leftovers whenever you delete an app. I would rather do that and get the constant benefit from having it hidden from Spotlight, considering how infrequently I delete apps.

or just remove the folder from the privacy tab let it quickly index, do your search, delete, then add it again.

Yes but even us (geeks) might want to quickly locate 'hoopaloopis' in our drives!

I see this as more of a pass on tip than a use it yourself tip. I wouldn't do it (except to test it out - works great by the way) but non-geeks would benefit hugely.

what do you mean non geeks, I'd say its better for the geeks. non geeks should be using spotlight, and the geek you already know where the support files are

my 2 cents

real

Spotlight is so annyoing, everytime I press spacebar it launches. Is there any way to stopthat?

Spotlight is so annyoing, everytime I press spacebar it launches.  Is there any way to stopthat?

The default key shortcut for Spotlight is Command-Space. You can change it (or turn it off) by going into the Spotlight preference pane. Down at the bottom there are two items: "Spotlight menu keyboard shortcut" and "Spotlight window keyboard shortcut", if you uncheck both of those or change the key, it should do what you want.

I don't think I am going to change anything in spotlight, but thanks for letting me know another place to look for application remnats after deleting the program

Way to go brother! You're right, you can never say a good thing enough times.

Thanks for the tip.

Now I'll have to test it out!

I guess you could just make a mental note to check that folder for leftovers whenever you delete an app. I would rather do that and get the constant benefit from having it hidden from Spotlight' date=' considering how infrequently I delete apps.[/quote']

Use AppZapper, it makes uninstalls a breeze

Eh.... what about adding Library e.g. the root library rather than the user library? Is is a bad idea to add the root library too?

Eh.... what about adding Library e.g. the root library rather than the user library? Is is a bad idea to add the root library too?

That depends what exactly you want to search for. If you don't want to include results from a library then add it. You can always remove it later and it will start indexing again.

didn't matt (h) say this on tmup?

I did indeed, but I agree that it can't be said enough times. I think it's a great tip.