Sign in to follow this  
kashikoh

Problems Emptying Trash

Running Tiger, i have several files in my trash that will not go away when i try to empty the trash. I am given the message "the file ________ is in use...". However, i know for certain that these files are not in use. I have tried emptying the trash after a fresh reboot. I have also tried the "empty trash" and "secure empty trash" options in the finder menu. As a last resort i tried the "Empty Trash 1.0" applescript program after a google search. Unfortunately, these files will still not go away. What can I do to get rid of these files for good! Thanks. ~alan

have you checked the activity monitor in the utilitys folder. The main app could be running but some other part may be.

Hi

I might try this..

Take them out of the trash, and then do an Apple I or get info on each. Next I would look at their permissions and maybe alter them to be read and write.

Next I'd just sling them in the Trash again and see if they go.

Just as an aside.. a really cool piece of software called File Buddy can also be used to delete files. I've had File Buddy for a long time and sometimes it can be handy for little jobs like this.

Try running Disc Utility from the Apple start up disc too, reboot and then try to empty your Trash again.

Last thing, rename the files and then put them in the Trash. They might have very long names with odd symbols in them perhaps.

Hope this helps!

If you mean using File Buddy, then yes you can.

Run disk utility too that should repair permissions on those files then hold down the option key while emptying trash.

See if that works

unfortunately i have tried each and every one of your suggestions, and i still can't get rid of these folders. the worst part is, there isn't anything even IN the folders...they are just sitting in the trash.

Have you checked that the files arn't locked? I had a simialar problem once and then realised it was as simple as that!

this is weird. what are the folders? are they system folders or just user created ones?

Brainwave... maybe?

Try this..

Boot into Classic OS9 and delete the folders when you're there using the OS9 trash.

I remember doing that a while ago and it worked! If you haven't got classic, it will be on your Apple DVD. It was a big surprise to discover that since I thought Apple had made a G5 devoid of Classic.

I have empty trash probelms too. Whenever I try to Sevure Empty Trash some things such as Skype it doesnt wor. The progress bar stays at blue stripes