Sign in to follow this  

What do you think of Bush's Second Term In Office

Do you believe that Bush's Second Term In Office Is a Failure?  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/26/bus...poll/index.html

The latest polls, at least according to the pollsters reporting to CNN, show that the country by a small majority believes that Bush's second term has so far been a complete failure. Further, an even smaller but yet still majority feel that Bush's entire presidentcy has been a failure. What are your thoughts?

- MT

It's too complicated to get into here for me at least. But oh, what a mess.

Bush can't even brag about his Middle East policy to his hawk and godboy constituencies (who purport to believe Iraq was a good idea) these days. Especially since the Palestinean vote. Like clock work, he supported Fatah, creating a backlash that handed the extremist minority Hamas party a landslide.

What kind of bubble does this moron live in? I guess he's just priming the world stage for his buddies, the four horsemen...

>EDITING TO ADD ONE COMMENT: M.T., your first line (just below) says it all: I'm going to try to be more objective on this topic if/when I respond again. It's the only way to invite all opinions. --B

Well, I think if you take things on a purely unbiased level, the truth surfaces:

Iraq/Middle East

Iraq is a mess and in the middle of a bloody civil war. With the rise of Hamas to power, any ground we have made is completely lost.

National Unity

As the current polls show, this country is so deeply devided, not only on religious views, but also political views. The buzz words "Red States" and "Blue States" have become a regular part of our vocabulary. Many people will not travel or visit a state of an opposing color.

Economy

While the economy has slowing begun to rise, so has the cost of oil and thus the price of gasoline. Simply put, any ground we gained on the economy was lost on gasoline to the average person.

American Security Abroad

Never in my lifetime can I remember a time where being an American abroad was such a negative thing. In general, Americans are looked at as arrogant and rude, not to mention bullies. Where we were once welcomed with open arms we are not not so welcomed.

Faith In The Government

The most recent poll I saw showed that most Americans feel that congress (not any one particular party but as a whole) is corrupt and not to be trusted. In a democratic state, nothing can be effectively accomplished in one side doesn't even trust the other. Politicians are going to have an uphill battle regaining the American's trust. To make matters worse, the White House is still battling the latest scandal involving the NSA and domestic wiretapping. Unfortunately for the Bush administration, their word that what they are doing is legal is no longer worth what it once was.

Gay Marrage / Rights

Whether you agree or disagree, the homosexual community in this country has a loud voice and they're not going anywhere, much to the dismay of some Midwestern politicians. America was founded on the belief that everyone has the right to exist and flourish without disregard or opposition. This is an issue that will have to be addressed one way or another.

The Separation of Church and State

I think that everyone in America is in agreement that violent video games, sexually pervasive content on televisions and graphic movies are all solid contributors to child delinquency UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. However, the polar opposite (strict censorship and influction of bible teachings in schools) has not proven to hold much water either. Where will the happy medium lie? We shall see.

These are just a few of the major topics that will have to be answered in the next election. I am looking forward to see how these are handled because I don't think it will be an easy task at all.

- MT

I've never been much of a fan of Bush, but I haven't been too impressed with the alternatives either. Actually less impressed with Kerry. Who's to say what mess we'd be in had the other side won the 2000 election (no, I'm not up to a discussion about who really won!). 9/11 would still have likely happened, so where would we have gone from there? All in all, I think its a pretty sad state of affairs, but I think it would have been a pretty sad state of affairs either way. I'd guess that we'd have a Republican in office via the 2004 election even if Gore had taken office in 2000. Things were just moving in that direction. Of course, who will ever really know?

Personally, I think its time to move beyond a two party system. Both of the parties are so splintered anyway, it would be pretty easy to see that happening. As for a vote? I passed. I'm just not sure life would be a whole lot different either way.

Eh, I'm of course biased, but Bush in my eyes is a redneck with a finger on the six-shooter.

All in all, I think its a pretty sad state of affairs, but I think it would have been a pretty sad state of affairs either way.  I'd guess that we'd have a Republican in office via the 2004 election even if Gore had taken office in 2000.  Things were just moving in that direction.

I definitely agree with all of the above. I'm not saying that things would be better, but I do like both Gore and Kerry. Boring but smart - I'm okay with that.

Personally, I think its time to move beyond a two party system.  Both of the parties are so splintered anyway

Actually I would say that this isn't quite accurate. The democrats are very splintered, but this might be okay. It seems that these representatives are willing to speak their minds even when it means being slaughtered in the press, which has happened a lot.

However, these days the Republican party tolerates no dissension from the party line. Any republican, no matter how conservative, moderate, or liberal, who hints at disagreeing with the executive branch gets a nice "invitation" to a "sit-down" with the President and his "supporters." After the gathering everyone seems to see eye-to-eye again. This is the biggest reason the Republican party has such strength right now. It is also a huge detriment to real democracy, which requires discussion and disagreement.

Best Regards,

-Rob

I really don't see how anyone could do worse than Bush. I'll give an example of why, one of many total cock ups he's done.

Sending Iraq into chaos is exactly what bin laden wants, he was enemies with saddam, bin laden hated saddam's secular government. Bin Laden's long term goal has primarily been to overthrow governments in the middle east and install a fundimentalist islamist government, this is part of the reason why he's anti-american. America supports saudai arabia, a country that bin laden sees as a government that will have to be whiped out in order to create a islamic fundimentalist superpower in the middle east. Bush has removed Saddam, and the country has gone into chaos and there is a real chance than insurgents will eventually gain control of it. The removal of saddam was actually a big victory for bin laden.

Now afghanstan, that was different. There was a islamic fundimentalist government of the type bin laden has been trying to ignite across the middle east, and bush did very good by removing them, that was a big defeat for bin laden.

My biggest issue with Kerry was that he appeared to need to know every single piece of information before making any decision (which is different than doing the flip-flop he was accused of). The office of President isn't the place for someone who won't make a decision until they know everything, because not everything can be known. Is he intelligent? No doubt. Is he presidential material? No. His decision making process is good for a legislator, but not for an executive.

Bush, on the other hand, seems to make up his mind without having even basic information, which can be just as bad and in some cases can be worse. Ideally the person in the White House would have enough wisdom to make decisions without every possible piece of information, but would also know when enough information has been had.

I agree that Afghanistan was handled well and Iraq poorly. I'd guess that history will bear that out as well. The US has a pretty bad track record when it comes to "instituting democracy" in other countries. We've spent a lot of time and money reacting to those we had originally put into place, and both parties have been guilty of creating that poor track record. Iraq is just the latest example of that.

My biggest issue with Kerry was that he appeared to need to know every single piece of information before making any decision (which is different than doing the flip-flop he was accused of).  The office of President isn't the place for someone who won't make a decision until they know everything, because not everything can be known.  Is he intelligent?  No doubt.  Is he presidential material?  No.  His decision making process is good for a legislator, but not for an executive.  

The last person close to the executive branch who also fits this description (including the part about being presidential material) is Nobel Prize winning President Jimmy Carter. I would have thought you were speaking of Carter if you hadn't prefaced with Kerry.

Just an observation,

-Rob

So what was everyone's observations on the State of the Union address from the other night? Frankly, as much as I wanted to be upset, I wasn't. Granted, if he actually goes out and accomplishes these things I'll be impressed. Thoughts?

- MT

So what was everyone's observations on the State of the Union address from the other night?  Frankly, as much as I wanted to be upset, I wasn't.  Granted, if he actually goes out and accomplishes these things I'll be impressed.  Thoughts?

- MT

I didn't watch it, but I did read the speech the next day (fewer interruptions).

#1. There was nothing IN the speech that any reasonable person could drastically disagree with. What was left out of the speech, however, is another thing.

#2. We must be coming up on another election; Bush is moving back to the middle from his perch above the extreme right wing.

#3. The speech is really irrelevant. In the past he has given his State of the Union then done things completely opposing what he spoke of.

-Rob

Opinion from an outsider: people in my country are generally amazed that someone so seemingly stupid can be the leader of the free world.

I'm not too happy that my daily life is affected by someone who I didn't even get to vote for. I think Bush needs to look closer to home if he wants some problems to fix.

Opinion from an outsider: people in my country are generally amazed that someone so seemingly stupid can be the leader of the free world.  

I'm not too happy that my daily life is affected by someone who I didn't even get to vote for. I think Bush needs to look closer to home if he wants some problems to fix.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have this frustration. I'm frustrated and I've at least had the opportunity to vote against him twice.

I had a student teacher from Canada a few months before the last Presidential election and she was completely taken aback when I told her that Bush had a very good chance of getting reelected just based on the fact that the American economy wasn't in the doldrums.

The rest of the world must think Americans, at least 51% of us anyway, are completely insane.

-Rob

Ok, i dont know too much about how he operates, but the war, and all the stupid things hes said. well, there we go

For example: Is our children learning?

Karen is a west texas girl like me,

why does every website begin with'w'?

Your working hard to put food on your family.

Fish and humans can coexist in peace. (I think not, have yousen finding nemo? :lol:)

For more, look up bushisms on google

It seems crazy that a term in which a government lied to its people to convince them to go to war, created an astmosphere of paranoia, trampled over civil liberties and human rights and tied everything into September 11th can be considered anything but a failure.

But then I live in Britain and we voted back in our lying Prime Minister too.

They've started showing the Daily Show in the UK and it has come to the point where it feels like all you can do is look at the absurdities and laugh.

oH GOSH!! I can't express how much I hate Bush. Our country is in a deficeit, yet he is still cuttin' taxes.

I really don't see how anyone could do worse than Bush.

What, do you think the Chinese Communist party could do better?, (since no one is worse than Bush).

the liberal media can't be trusted to report things anywhere near accurate.

Bush has been a fine pres. Whoever thinks that no one could do a worse job needs to do some research on Clinton and many others.

Anyone is better than Bush.

"OMG, the trailer has weapons of mass destruction."

NOT, (makes fool of himself)

"...and in order to keep everyone happy, we must stick our faces onto your computers to see what you are doing"

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

STUPID BUSH, DIE!!!

as i said before, do you think the communist party of china with its one child policy and restrictions on everything you can do would be better?

and there were and still are WMDs, they were transported out of the country by way of jets and trucks, former generals who knew sadam closely and who supervised these operations have confirmed this.

the domestic spying is done for your own well being and to catch the guilty. for my part, i have nothing to hide, and unless your a criminal, neither should you.

lastly, how many interns has bush slept with? also, how many times has he lied in court? (unlike someone else i could mention).

if clinton was doing all these things you would be singing his praises you

stinking liberals.

you people need to do some research before posting comments that only make fools out of you.

as i said before, do you think the communist party of china with its one child policy and restrictions on everything you can do would be better?

The one child policy is very important in an effort to continue to keep the general population from starving. We should consider it here in the U.S.

The other restrictions are a bit much; however, many of those restrictions under the Chinese government are in place here in the U.S. from our own government.

Have you tried to organize a rally or protest recently? The paperwork is maddening, and the permits are very difficult to acquire. Also, have you noticed how most of Bush's press appearances are very well manicured? How individual protesters are removed from sight? Aren't we supposed to have the right to organized protest? Aren't we obligated to question our leaders under a democracy? Forget China, we are a breath away from a police state in this country.

and there were and still are WMDs, they were transported out of the country by way of jets and trucks, former generals who knew sadam closely and who supervised these operations have confirmed this.

Oddly, this information, which I do believe is generally true, is coming from the same source as the original WMD accusation, so I'm loathe to believe it fully without question, much like the wiretapping information (that the wiretapping is only on international calls involving a person or country of suspected terrorism). Did you notice our Attorney General imply that this probably isn't the limit to this unregulated wiretapping?

the domestic spying is done for your own well being and to catch the guilty. for my part, i have nothing to hide, and unless your a criminal, neither should you.

Written like a true officer of the SS.

This argument is specious. I don't need the government over my shoulder even if I'm honest. Big Brother should not be watching in the U.S.; our constitution's checks and balances provisions are set-up to prevent this.

Bush has ingeniously circumvented our constitution in several ways. He's quite crafty.

If you truely believe the government should be in everyone's business, you could not consider yourself a true conservative. The conservative ideology seeks small government with as little intrusion into business and the individual lives of the public as possible.

On a side note, the term Libertarian is an oxymoron because Libertarians are the ultimate conservatives, zero intrusion from government.

lastly, how many interns has bush slept with? also, how many times has he lied in court? (unlike someone else i could mention).

Adultery and sleeping with interns isn't illegal, so I don't care. Clinton lied under oath about having sex, whoo hoo! Yes, illegal; he was impeached. Our current President has lied and deceived the American public in a hundred different ways that have been swept under the carpet by his empowered Republican party.

One example of Bush circumventing the constitution and obscuring the truth is how he presents the federal budget to congress, which requires detailed listings of appropriations and must have congressional approval. He leaves from this budget the spending for our two wars because non-budgeted appropriation bills do not require detailed listings and must be approved as a whole, line items can not be deleted. Bush's budget looks reasonable, almost conservative, until we add in the war spending.

Bush is the single most powerful President since FDR. Frightening.

if clinton was doing all these things you would be singing his praises you

No. Circumventing the constitution is wrong no matter who does it.

stinking liberals.

If you'd called those of us who think Bush is a failure traitors or treasonous, you'd be more in line with Bush. He'd probably send you a medal.

you people need to do some research before posting comments that only make fools out of you.

Right back at you. :P

Researching the issues still does not necessarily put Bush in a positive light. There are reasons to support Bush, none of which you stated in your argument. If you'd do some research maybe you could understand both sides of the issues, and you wouldn't sound like one of the fools you mention.

You make the assumption that someone who disagrees with you does so because he has not educated himself on the issues; this assumption is wrong. Very smart, educated, and informed people disagree about the Bush Presidency. Calling them names doesn't make you or anyone else look smarter. It makes you look like you haven't done your homework.

For the record, politically and fiscally, I'm moderately conservative (less government and government spending is better, power to the state and local governments, government should avoid making laws about personal moral decisions (religion)...yadda, yadda, yadda); much more so than Bush.

The liberal vs. conservative bashing doesn't really make sense under this administration because Bush is NOT conservative (except religiously); he's Republican. Bush will do anything to keep his party in power, including sacrificing his own ideology.

-Rob