Sign in to follow this  
Tom.landy

Will I buy a Mac Book Pro?

This is a simple question with a simple answer, I am selling my windows laptop and migrating back to mac, to as much as 80% (20% windows for gaming and coding for college).

I have 1500 from the laptop sale...

macbook pro with student discount is €2005

do I buy one now or wait until april to see if we get a nice 13" ibook?

really want one and will prob buy the book pro but I'm still asking...

battery life not a factor, nor is speed increase(writing this on a g3 900mhz ibook!)

It's been noted to me as I'm considering the same myself, to wait until april not neccesarily for an iBook, but for them to change any problems there may be with the first edition of the macbook

im getting one. a birthday present

ill tell you how it turns out.

You know I really want one. I usually always buy the first version, but this time I going to have will power and wait for the second version. I must hold out.... Pray for me.... :D

The new ibook could come out any time from april to june really.

I suspect it may be worth waiting. Some of the rumor sites have hinted that more will be coming soon.

There will undoubtedly be teething problems with new macbook, but if you are using common software then things ought to be fine.

The macbook will be a <b>huge</b> boost in speed for you.

If you are without a laptop at the moment and desperately need one, I would buy a Macbook.

If you can wait, then wait. With the new intel chips, CPU speeds will update more often than with PPC and so if you wait then there may be minor upgrades at the least and maybe new iBooks to compare them with.

I suspect it may be worth waiting. Some of the rumor sites have hinted that more will be coming soon.

but we know more is coming, steve told us that all machines were changing by the end of teh year, it wouldn't surprise me if we get a major update to the ibook and the imac by june with a new look to the whole line...and remember what the rumor sites said before macworld...we got nothing that was expected...(except intel obviously)

There will undoubtedly be teething problems with new macbook, but if you are using common software then things ought to be fine.

theere are teething problems with every version of mac products. I can live with having a dual binary system. my only concern is battery power and heat.

If you can wait, then wait. With the new intel chips, CPU speeds will update more often than with PPC and so if you wait then there may be minor upgrades at the least and maybe new iBooks to compare them with.

the ibooks(mac book i asume) will never compete with the macbook pro. they will have the core solo processors(single core) and a weaker graphics card and lower res screen. I can see the macbook pro line extended to also having a 17" mega power version with one of the new 160gig laptop drives and rediculious screen resolution but no 12" for some reason. maybe apple will have a 13" macbook pro? be fun.

but, basically in summery, I am willng to wait to upgrade if I knew something better came along for the same money, but if that means waiting until intel round 2 then I'm not waiting, I'll be ordering on thursday.

Good plan!

I have been playing the wait and see game on the desktop front for about 10 months now. The Macbook Pro looks leaps ahead of what is available laptop wise at the moment and so maybe an easier decision.

Hope you enjoy it and let us all know how you get on!