Sign in to follow this  
Gdgaiennie

Data backup

I was thinking about doing a fresh install of Mac OSX but would like to back up/copy some of my Itunes music as well as pictures and some documents. Does any one know how to do this cheaply?

It all depends how much data you have to backup, if you have an external harddrive or a CD/DVD burner, or even a .Mac account. There are many great ways to do it; just let us know what of the above you have.

Apple have a great archieve and install feature on OS X. I did it the other day i screwed my system up. Insert the disk. Push the achieve install button. It then installs OS X afresh then copy all your dater, settings, bookmarks, wallpaper EVERYTHING back into place like you never known it was erased!

The only thing you will need to do is to delete the old system directory in the root folder once its done called previous system or something. A little drag and drop in the bin and you have your space back.

Tim makes a good point; my only concern is that you have very little control over the install this way. I prefer to fully format a HDD and then re-install from scratch, including the personal files. I think Tim has the best free solution, otherwise I would advise splashing out aroun $100 for a FireWire External HDD (I have and love the LaCie d2 160Gb which has FW400, FW800, and USB2.0) which will solve all your space and packup issues.

Totally agree with Matt. Geting an exeternal HD is the best way and will be future prooth. But if its cheap or free then Apple way it is. I dont think you get any say on what Apple backups on behalf of you so if your looking customisation then its the HD way. I am looking to invest into a HD in the future because i am even finding the present generation of DVDs to limiting on space. :?

After getting burned by not having current full backups of my music when I had a drive crash, I've gone to doing multiple format backups. I've always had some CD backups, but, reimporting 40Gb (can't remember how many CDs, 50 or so) can be a REAL PAIN. I now have music (now at 60+ Gb) and photos backed up on external hard drives. Also, I just bought but haven't rec'd a 400Gb external that I plan to use with CarbonCopyCloner to totally duplicate my main internal about once a week.

It amazes me how many posts on the Apple discussions relate to people losing their music because they only have it on their 30Gb or bigger iPod. I love my iPods, but, they are tiny hard drives which will eventually have problems just like internal HDs.

#1) Get this $100 250GB External HD...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...o=1828384&Tab=5

#2) Get SuperDuper! (it's really really really awesome... so easy & simple)

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/Sup...escription.html

You will have a really great backup solution for a long time for only US$128.