Sign in to follow this  
Robswitcher

How to keep burnt CD-R open

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent switcher (actually still a duel user) with several aging win PC machines in our house and a 4 month old G4 iBook. I realise I need to 'Think Different' about doing stuff on the Mac, and mostly find the experience more refreshing than the old PCs.

However there is one thing that is really bugging me, I'm not sure if I've missed something really obvious or not, and apologise if I have. But when I drag files to my burner on the PC, ie CD-R, I can take out the CD and come back later on another day and add more files to it in an archiving type manner.

But with the Mac I find that after burning files to CD-R it closes the CD. I've looked for options to prevent this and even searched the net for hours but come up with nothing.

Have I missed something ? do I need to buy third party software to do this ?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a really stupid question. :)

Rob.

Hi Rob and welcome to the forums.

I have to admit; I haven't burned a data CD with my Mac (I know, I know) but I can tell you that all optical media (inc. CDs) need to be "closed" after each write in order to work. Windows will do this automatically also. Have you tried using the same disk twice on your Mac? I am sure there must be a way around it if this is an issue but I don't have a CD here to try it out.

Thanks for the quick response Matt,

Yes I have tried the same CD twice, I burned about 50meg of data onto it first - ejected it - put it back in and tried to burn another 20meg onto it.

I can't remember the exact wording - but the message was something like ' this is not a blank CD, please eject and replace with blank media' (thats a very rough translation, I will have to wait til I get home from work to get the exact msg.

Maybe I just need to change my mindset as to how I archive smallish amounts of data at irregular time periods :)

If you are using the built-in burning from OS X itself, I believe it does automatically close the CD and there is no way to change this behavior that I know of. I was just looking at Toast. I was thinking that it allowed you to burn files without closing, but I do not seem to be able to find the option anywhere.

OS X definately closes the cd. I had this problem when I switched. You need to get toast or something for multiple sessions on one cd. But they can only be used on a mac and not on PC.

I think Toast only has a maximum of 4 sessions (at least that what seems to have happened to my cds). So basically you need to buy Toast or a CD-RW or use a USB pen instead

If you are using the built-in burning from OS X itself, I believe it does automatically close the CD and there is no way to change this behavior that I know of.  I was just looking at Toast.  I was thinking that it allowed you to burn files without closing, but I do not seem to be able to find the option anywhere.

It's in the Recorder Settings. You can chose to Write Session or Write Disc. That's from Toast 6, and the terminology may have changed slightly in Toast 7.

To enable multi-session CDs using Toast 7:

Drop-down Recorder and select Recorder settings

Select Advanced

Select the Write Session radio button

Thanks everyone for your feedback/answers. :D