kwsanders

Transistr

Not sure if anyone listens to the Wizards of Technology daily podcasts called the Update Wizard. On one of their shows late last week, the developer for iPodderX was being interviewed and it was announced that the new podcatcher will be called Transistr, saying that it gives a sense of being plugged in.

http://www.transistr.com

Not sure if anyone listens to the Wizards of Technology daily podcasts called the Update Wizard.  On one of their shows late last week, the developer for iPodderX was being interviewed and it was announced that the new podcatcher will be called Transistr, saying that it gives a sense of being plugged in.

http://www.transistr.com

I love this program, and the new name is WAY BETTER than iPodderX, which IMHO never really addressed purpose of the software.

I agree that "transistr" gives the sense of being plugged in. To whomsoever thought up this name in the contest, I say, "Great work!"

-Rob

One of my many 'listens', too. Also, I still use iPodderX as my podcatcher as I'm still not quite satisfied with the iTunes implementation.

According to the interview, the interface has been redesigned for the upcoming version of Transistr. I believe we will see it either over the weekend or early next week.

According to the interview, the interface has been redesigned for the upcoming version of Transistr.  I believe we will see it either over the weekend or early next week.

I'm excited to see the new features, since Thunderstone Media only knows what they are. I listened to that interview too. They have August on fairly regularly. He sounds like a great guy.

-Rob

I've been using iPodderX for what seems like forever and I'm anxious for the new verison. So, I keep checking the website and continue to see the 'Coming Soon' message. Wonder what's up?

August mentioned on the podcast where I heard this that it would be out this week, but things may have changed. Software coding changes from day to day. :)

August mentioned on the podcast where I heard this that it would be out this week, but things may have changed. Software coding changes from day to day. :)

Well, a quick jump from February to mid-August and this thing has yet to see the light of day. They don't even update their "corporate" (what a joke!) website with info.

Anyone know anything about this? Will we ever see it? Or did they just take the shareware fees and run?

mike

I was wondering about this very same thing last night. Transistr used to be mentioned on the Wizards of Technology podcast all the time, but they do not even mention it now. The old iPodderX forums have gone to crap with all kinds of SPAM and stuff on the boards.

I guess the guys at iPodderX just took our money and ran for those of us who did purchase a registration for iPodderX.

Hey,

I'm a switcher.

I'm simply tired of waiting for Transistr (or any news regarding it), so I gave NetNewsWire and NewsFire a run last night. I think I'm going to go with NetNewsWire.

NewsFire has a beautiful interface, but I like the three paned window of NNW because it is very similar to iPodderX. If NewsFire had a fully featured demo, I might have chosen it, but many of the features are disabled on the demo, and NNW seems more fully featured.

Although it is difficult to tell from the NewsFire Demo, the two programs appear to have pretty good feature parity; however, NNW does give some stronger control over individual feed options. For example, I have a number of subscriptions that I don't check anymore but I don't want to delete them because I might return to them someday (like in 30 years when I retire :) ). NNW allowed me to turn off the refreshing of those feeds but Newsfire did not.

The grouping, smart feeds, and smart lists are all excellent features and are apart of both programs. BTW, I believe all of those features are supposed to be a part of Transistr.

Although both programs are faster than iPodderX regarding the download of news feeds, NNW allows the user to control how many feeds the program attempts to check at a time and seemed significantly faster than either program.

Newsfire is $10.00 less expensive and has a prettier (not necessarily easier) interface, but overall I think NNW allows more control over individual feeds and seems more functional.

In a cruel, ironic twist of fate, I'm sure now that I've committed to NNW, Transistr should be available next week. <_<

FWIW, I've been really loyal to iPodderX while waiting for some of the features that have been apart of these other two programs for months. I emailed DigitalBill a while ago asking for some info, but he really didn't have any new news. If we'd had some news, any news from August and Thunderstone, I probably would wait on my purchase. As it is, I'll probably buy NNW this week (after a few more hours of trial).

Best Wishes,

-Rob

Edit:

I forgot to mention the two features of iPodderX that I use that are not part of either of these two programs.

#1. When transferring to iTunes, I set different genres for a couple of different feeds. I haven't been able to find this feature in either NNW or NewsFire. (This is a mild irritant, and will burn about 30 seconds a week of my time.) NNW and NewsFire both simply send files to iTunes as the genre "Podcast."

#2. Neither of the newer programs will convert Podcasts to bookmarkable AACs, which is fine for me because I've been using this feature less and less anyway. For a long time this was the big reason I didn't think about switching.

-Rob again

Good points, Rob. I wish August and the guys would just post something, even if it was to say that hey... we tried, we failed. Just something.

As for NetNewsWire, I purchased it last year, but I did not realize that it would send audio files over to iTunes. I need to look into it again.

I wrote an AppleScript to handle changing genres for me. I select all the latest podcasts to be downloaded and run the script. It changes genres based on information in the MP3 tags.

Also, now that iTunes and the iPod will let you set the "Remember playback position" flag for MP3 files, I also setup the script to flip this flag on for all downloaded MP3 files. I never do convert to AAC anymore. That way I don't lose any further quality.

Bookmarkable MP3 is a deal killer for me I must have it. Kerry, can the group here get a copy of your script. Sounds great! I would love to try moving to NNW. Already use it for text blogs and it rocks.

Tranistr is a shame. Very surprising they have not given any updates. Whatever customer base and goodwill they had is all gone now.

I'd love a copy of the script. :)

rjwpb @ mac. com

-Rob

Sorry, guys... we have been very busy at work lately finishing up a software development schedule trying to get it ready to turn over for system testing. Thus, I have not been around much lately.

I am not on my Mac right at the moment. I will get in the forums later this afternoon from my Mac and post the AppleScript code here for the script that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sorry for the delay. I have been pretty busy with work lately. This is the script that I had mentioned earlier in this thread.

--Podcast Update
--Created by Kerry Sanders on 12/18/05
-- Updated on 12/19/05 to add the CNET News.com stuff
--Updated on 01/30/05 to add checks for Mac OS Ken, this WEEK in TECH,
and MyMac.com

set tech_podcasts to {"Buzz Out Loud", "MacCast", "Mac OS Ken", ¬
   "this WEEK in TECH", "MyMac.com", "iHelpDesk", ¬
   "Typical Mac User Podcast", "ZDNet's Dan and David Show", ¬
   "Mac Tips Daily!", "Macworld", "Mac Geek Gab"}

set photo_podcasts to {"Digital Story", "Digital Photography Tips", ¬
   "Secrets of Digital Imaging", "LensWork"}

set godcast_podcasts to {"RevTim Podcast"}