Sign in to follow this  
billspry

Problem mounting Blank media (CD/DVD)

I have encountered a problem with my iMac G5 this past week that has not gone away. Whenever I insert a blank CD or DVD into my Superdrive, the window pops up like usual asking me what to do with the disc, but the disk never appears on my desktop like usual.

I know that the computer is still seeing the disc, as I can still burn through Toast, iDVD, iTunes, etc. However, when I'm burning data it's much quicker and easier to drag & drop on the desktop.

Does anyone know what could be causing OS X not to display the blank media on the desktop? I'm running v.10.3.9. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

make sure finder -> Prefs -> general -> show these items on the desktop and the correct box is ticked. if it is let us know.

Yeah, I double-checked and the boxes are all ticked.

I should also mention that CDs & DVDs that already have data on them show up on the desktop fine.

have you tried repairing permmissions? also if you have not restarted your comp in a while try that.

Sorry it took me a couple days to respond. I tried repairing permissions thru Disk Utility. I've restarted my computer multiple times, and I've also tried logging in as the "root" user.

Nothing works.

ok have you got a different blank cd/dvd make just to make sure its not just the disk? Like a spare one hanging around you don't need to waste your money but if you have a different make that would help us remove some of the problems.

in the mean time i will have to have a think. its prob not a major problem since everything else sees it accept the desktop....

Yeah, I've tried a blank memorex dvd-r, a blank maxell cd-r, and a blank generic brand dvd-r. none show up until i've burnt something on them.

I noticed the same issue on my mini. Being a relatively new Mac user, I wasn't sure if blank media was even supposed to show up on the desktop but I thought it was odd that it didn't. I know the blank DVD disk I inserted is compatible with my mini because I've successfully burned iMovie projects on those disks with iDVD, but I wanted to burn a DVD data disk and was confused when the blank disk didn't appear. I guess it would still work if I created a burn folder, but I haven't tried that yet.

Alright, after talking to Apple Support on the phone, I was instructed to reinstall Mac OS X. Apparently something miniscule file or setting in the OS was corrupted or something, and it was something that couldn't be fixed any other way. The support guy personally had no clue what exactly was wrong, but now it's fixed.

Strange. I've discovered that blank CD-Rs show up on my desktop just fine, but blank DVDs don't. Does OS X not support buring DVD data disks by default or something? Is the only way to burn a DVD data disk by starting a burn folder?

I assume having a 3rd-party product such as Toast would make it easier to create DVD data disks?

Actually, you're supposed to be able to see blank CD-R's & DVD-R's on your desktop. If your System Preferences & Finder Preferences are set to show them on the desktop and you still can't see them, then most likely it will require a reinstall of OS X to fix.