Sign in to follow this  
pieman

my rebirth

having been a pc and windows user for many years i started to get used to the spyware the adware and of course the viruses. i hoped for a better way i hope for a beter computer experience alas never truly being statisfied.

being british meant i had no experience of the mac community of the whole mac way of life it was not until i got access to broadband and got access to podcast my eyes started to open to a new way the mac way. i was in denial about the mac way i may have been a little scared of a new system maybe i like being the local computer geek maybe i was just being lazy who knows. then came the time when i had to purchase a new computer my laptop could no longer run software as well i would like it to do. so went down to my local computer store and purchased a nice windows macchine.

unfortuanatly it all didnt go according to plan after spending 4 hours removing all the stupid software that was bundled with the system the system still ran very slow and after several crashes i had had enough and took it back. after them telling me there was nothing i finally got my money back and feeling a little annoyed i thought there must be a better way then it was like magic the clounds parted a beam of light appeared and there it was the apple logo it was a sign from the heavens there was a better way and that way was the mac way.

it was a sign i had to take the plunge or as my friends called it going to the darkside. unlucky for me i had to wait for the money to clear in my bank account or i would have brought a imac g5 there and then. this turned out to be a blessing because one week later steve (his holyness) annouced the new imac g5 with built in isight camera. i was in love not only did it have competitive features but an amzing look i was in love i phoned up apples education department and order my imac g5.

that was the storie of how i saw the light i will post later with my first opionions on the mac my fears and my loves thanks. i am very happy with my purchase it has reinvigerated my love of computers and i hope to be using a mac for many years to come.

Great story. Too common. My father-in-law was a similar convert, though the clouds didn't part for him until he got home with his new iMac. Fortunately my mother-in-law controled the money for the computer purchase, and her clouds had parted long before! :lol:

Indeed a great story; congratulations. I had a similar experience myself, as have many other Mac Geeks. It's great to find something which allows you to enjoy your comuting exerience in a way you have always dreamed; it will last, I promise.

i had been considering a mac for a while ever since i got broadband but unfortunatly iwas under the mistakin impression that they where somehow inferior to there there pc counterparts. 3 months on i dont regret the disscission in the slighest although it was more expensive than a similiarly speced pc i felt i had to take the plunge and im glad i idi and i still have the windows based laptop(the only computer that has never crashed on me).

i no its very typical but b8ut im currently training to be a visual basic programmer so this is a whole world of discovery for me. i will post my first impression of my mac and the os when i get a chance to write another essasy. i have alot of college work.

p.s also i aplogise for any grammer mistakes i no it awful i shoudl learn to proof read my stuff but i cant be bothered.

the delievery day was something unusual because my imac g5 never arrived so upon phoning apple i found out that my new imac g5 was stuck in holland :( and would be a day late. not really an inconvience i no but i toke the day off collge to wait for it to arrive and it didnt.

next day i didnt really give apple the benefit of the doubt so i decided to go to colege to cut it short it was boring day so for are dinner we went the pub. there i am drinking my pint and get my backside handed to me at pool when my phone rings its my mum and hear is the converstion as i remember.

mom-the computer arrived

pieman-kool ill come home in abit

mom i think they made a mistake the box is so small

pieman-its ok mum thats righ

mom i think they've only gave you the monitor

pieman-mom tnats the whole computer

mom-wheres the rest of it

pieman its ok mum im on my way home.

mom bye

pieman bye

so im on the bus on my way home remebering to breath telling my self it only a computer its not your life here (kidding myself here). so i arrievd home and what was there to greet me the georgeus box for my imac g5 insight what attention to detail.

i proceeded to unpacki my imac and again i was ammazed at the attention to detail everythink cleverily arranged i was started to see the apple philosphy this was a compny with comman sense a company that was thinking differently.

so i put the computer on the living room table to show the family as it where heres the conve from that one.

mom see i told they only sent the monitor

pieman that the whole computer mom i promise you.

mom ok how do we turn it on

pieman plug the plug in and press power button

mom it only has one wire

mom it only has one wire

pieman mom calm down

just thought i warn others seeing a mac for the first time can cause mass hsyteria from pc users. lol i will post my first impression of the os at a later date.

unfortuantely i donat have any unpacking photos it toke all my money just to buy this.

Awesome follow up story. I was laughing my head off. So typical and yet so funny. Thanks man.

i had to write it as a warning as to the effect of macon both switchers and the people around them.

Awesome, that's the kind of stories we love to hear.

the imac has been my loyal companion for almost a year now and altough ti pains me to say it is going to be heading the ebay way. due to moneys problem and this being the most expensive thing i own it has to go to the hghest bidder. thanks guys it been a blast and id like to thank you for not making me feel like an idiot everytime i did something stupid with my mac.

i hope to get a macbook pro in january when this whole mess blows over but for the moment need some serious cash and i have no other option. i hope that i can still be usful in some way on the forums

your pieman. :(:(:(:(:(:(