Sign in to follow this  
ageis

Just updated to Tiger, now I have to force shutdown. ???

I recently updated to Tiger on my iBook G3 (Snow model). It runs surprisingly well...although since updating I cannot properly shut down my iBook. I click "Shut Down"...the process goes as normal...icons disappear...Finder bar disappears...finally all that is left is my Desktop picture.......and then it just sits there until I hold down the power button for a few seconds to force shut down. This also happens during restarts.

Anyone else have this problem (or heard of such a thing happening)? And what, if any, damage am I doing by forcing shut down every day?

Thanks! :wink:

I found with my powerbook G4 (400) and my Mirrordoor that to update from 10.3 to 10.4 didn't quite work. something got corrupted in my user folder and really screwed things up. So I ended up installing a fresh copy of 10.4 after zero-ing the HD.

Extreme I know .. but if you upgraded rather than did a complete new install .. you might wanna consider doing that.

ugh....I so don't want to do that, but I may have to (yes, I did an update not a clean install) :(

Thanks for your reply and advice! :)

This happened to me with a few systems. Actually, it got as far as the blue screen with the pinwheel thing spinning around.

Once I forced shut down, I restarted and zapped my PRAM 3 or 4 times. I then repaired permissions.

Things are working great now. No more hangs on shut down.

To zap your PRAM, hold down the P, R, Option & Command (apple) keys when you start up your Mac. Hold them down until you hear the startup chime 3 or 4 times (there will be a few seconds between each chime). Let go of the keys and once your Mac is back up, go to Applications>Utilities> and launch Disk Utility. Select your start-up volume in the left column. Under the First Aid tab, click Verify Disk Permissions. Once that is done, click Repair Disk Permissions.

This worked for me. Hopefully it works for you.

Unfortunately, it didn't help. But thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

But there is good news! I finally figured out the root to the problem this evening while searching for a couple of hours on Google for people with similar problems.

Turns out an application called Speed Tools (a disk utility that shipped with my firewire hard drives) effects Macs in this way. Speed Tools installs about 5 start up items in your Library-->StartUp folder. After deleting these, all things are back to normal.

Thanks goodness I don't have to reinstall everything! :D