Sign in to follow this  
grayspeed

Internet explorer no longer supported?

Hi everyone. My wife uses i.e. for checking her o2 mobile phone bill online as the page doesn't load in safari. She tried all day yesterday and couldn't connect. I've looked this morning and it would appear the i.e no longer works on osx, as stated on microsoft that i.e for mac no longer supported after 31/12/2005.

My question is, does anyone know of a way around this? :?

I think there's a way you can make Safari act like ie by turning something on through the terminal, but I'd try FireFox first I use it for NatWest's site and works fine.

IE should still work on OSX, it's simply not supported (ie. there will be no onngoing updates or revisions). I have just signed up for a free o2 online account which I am able to access through Safari, Firefox, Camino, Flock and Shirra browsers. I am not sure if the web form of the bill itself is the issue because I don't have an 02 contract, but it would appear the rest of the site works in all other browsers including the account page.

At exactly what point does the website fail to function in Safari?

Financial servers in the US often examine the user agent string sent by the web browser and match it against allowed browsers. As RMStudio mentioned, you can manipulate the user agent string sent by Safari.

Get the program Safari Enhancer

http://www.celestialfrontiers.com/safari_enhancer.php

Use Safari Enhancer to turn on the debug feature in Safari. A new top level item "debug" now appears in the Safari menu.

Drop-down debug and expand User Agent, choose Windows IE or Mac MSIE.

This might work, but it might not.

You can also download Opera as a browser. It's free now, and it will spoof IE. It's an option in the preferences menu.

-Rob

Thanks for your replies. IE seems to be working now. But this is still a major pain!

Have tried all the settings in safari enhancer, still comes up with the same error when trying to access online bill,

"Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop

We're sorry you're unable to look at the Online Shop or My O2 at the moment. Either your session has timed out and you need to try www.o2.co.uk/shop again or we are making changes so the site is even better for you to use"

Safari allows my to view everything else on the o2 site.

I'll try Opera, as long as it doesn't clash with Safari.

Sorted! Opera installed and working! And more impotantly, wifeys happy with that, result! Cheers guys. :D

One less tie to mr gates empire, haha!