Sign in to follow this  
mikemonce

New iMac is on order.

My new 17" Intel iMac was ordered yesterday from apple.com. The website claimed 'should ship within 24 hours'. Does Apple's marketing department also work in shipping? The actual ship date is Feb 6th, (5 business days, not 24 hours). Anyway I am chomping at the bit to receive.

I started with an Apple II+ and eventually worked towards the Dark Side of Windows. Through the life-changing Ipod purchase last year, I decided to give the 5 percentile (Mac users) a try.

So once the critical files are transferred, what shall be done with the Windows boat anchor?

Before making the switch, I was reading many forums and reviews, and for the most part people loved their macs. Now I am a firm believer in the philosophy of loving inanimate stuff, a couple of my bicycles fall into this category too ('96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, '05 Trek 520). I wanted to be a part of this mac community and know know why many of you love your macs.

Our '02 HP XP Windows box was getting tired and no window machine has ever excited me. It was time to switch. My only previous apple was a II+ and it was cool for the time.

We ordered a 17" Duo-Core Intel. Here is what I have noticed to date (only a week).

1. Wigets are a real time saver. I am constantly looking up phone numbers, stock quotes and the weather. With windows, I have to wait for the broswer to open and go to numerous bookmarks. I used the Windows Outlook for my contacts, it was very slow, a 5-lb phonebook is usually quicker. Apple..thank you.

2. Seemless integration between almost all applications and it is so easy to process and learn. I have uploaded a web-site, created a slide-show with iTunes music, added Quicken activities to iCal, back-up'ed to .Mac.

3. This baby is screaming fast (Every application I have opened and worked with).

Transferring 9 years of information from one platform to another is not that simple. Quicken was time-consuming,(Ask me for additional advice), Contacts did not import as easy as I thought should.

Anyway, this is a forum and not a book.

I love my iMac

And will never go back.