Sign in to follow this  
jhogarty

Who is the Mac Daddy Switcher?

I am curious to know if there are others like me that have taken the plunge and decided to make a major switch. I'm not talking about adding a Mac Mini or iBook to my personal inventory. I'm talking about replacing ones core Windows based computers (hardware/software) with a Mac (or Macs).

Starting back on the Tiger launch, up through today (2/2/06) I have "switched" as follows:

1. Replaced Kids home grown Windows XP box with a 20" iMac

2. Replaced my home grown video/graphics workstation with a dual 2.5GHz PowerMac w/ 23" ACD. Old computer had twin Dell 18" displays.

3. Replaced my brothers HP Windows box with an eMac

4. Replaced my Dell SUSE Linux server with a Mac Mini and one of those Airport Express units where you can hook up a USB printer.

5. Have on order a MacBook Pro to replace my Dell Inspirion 8200.

As far as major software changes, I am now using Newtek's Lightwave on the Mac instead of PC. Luckily no cost there. I've put aside my Newtek Toaster and now use the Final Cut Studio suite. Replaced my Adobe Photoshop 7 via the Adobe CS Suite for Mac. Also grabbed Aperature to enhance my photo tools. Oh, also had to get Office for the Mac to be compatible with friends/co-workers. Replaced Nero CD-Burner for Windows with Toast for the Mac. Also picked up a few other programs here and there but nothing major.

I'd like to replace my dad's laptop, a Sony Viao, (old, old one) with an iBook. But my laptop needs out weigh his right now. :-)

Love to hear similar stories.

J.

Not sure if this counts or not, but before May 15, 2005, I had three Windows desktops and a Windows based laptop running in my home. Since purchasing the Mac, all of the Windows boxes have been shutdown. Well, the laptop is still in use, because I use it for work. The desktops, however, are all in storage at my parent's house. :)

I purchased a dual 2.0 GHz G5 Power Mac, by the way.

i wouldnt be such a mac geek without a mom and her love for music.

If it was not for my grandfather and his Dual G5 I would never have had become a Mac geek.

Good stuff. My Dual 2.5 and 23" I got refurbed. Same for the eMac for my brother. The iMac, Mini and MacBook Pro are all new. Can't wait for the MBP to arrive. I'm probably one of the very few who actually like the new name - MacBook Pro.

Any more crazy switchers out there (besides me)?

J...

J...

I was given a Mac Mini as a birthday gift last May. I loved it so much I bought a Power Mac dual G5. I loved it so much I bought a G4 Powerbook. Earlier today I ordered an iMac 20" Core Duo, and Amazon says it has shipped with expected delivery tomorrow. Not to mention 2 iPods.

I'm intending on crazily switching from a Compaq Presario to a Mac and an iPod.

Even the older G3 models at school seem to work faster than my year-old compaq. -_-

Got an iMac as a Chanukah present, loved it so much that 1 month later I got a PowerBook.

J...

I was given a Mac Mini as a birthday gift last May. I loved it so much I bought a Power Mac dual G5. I loved it so much I bought a G4 Powerbook. Earlier today I ordered an iMac 20" Core Duo, and Amazon says it has shipped with expected delivery tomorrow. Not to mention 2 iPods.

I thought you were going to get a new Digi-Cam?

I thought you were going to get a new Digi-Cam?

Yes, but not until my birthday in May. I did decide to let the Canon EOS-5D be my birthday present.

Not sure if I count as a "macdaddy" switcher, I'll let you guys decide.. :twisted:

Been geeking it up since 83 - got my first System(Commodore64)...late 80's got the Amiga bug and worked up from the A500 to the A3000(with 600,1200,and cd32 in between) ... Around 96/97 a friend showed me his Gossimar(all-in-one), and I remember gagging at the OS... really was ANTI MAC at that stage... so in 97 i got a p133 with win95 and laughed at my poor friend who didnt have the cool games, the cool freeware or the cool OS.... 8)

By mid 2002 I had been programming for web for long enough to feel geeky enough, and made a huge point of mocking anyone that used "one of those pathetic" macs, with their stupid OS ... I mean, "the strip"???... how lame is that!

Move forward to 2004. Walked into a graphic design studio... This place was fitted out with like 9 or 10 g4's, all running OSX(2 or 3, not sure)... by the time I left that building I was ready to throw out my 3 peecees and sell my 5 sons on the black-market, in the hope i might get a g3 imac :twisted:

Ok, so thankfully for the kids, I didnt actually have to sell them. Last January I got a gossimar(yep, the same model I totally laughed at 6 years earlier)..By March I had purchased a G3imac(400), an Apple2GS(couldnt go past the nostalgia) and was well on my way to saving for the baby Im typing this post from. July 2005 I purchased an IMacG5 2ghz, 2gb ram - 20" ...best thing I did that year!!! .. We still have 2 peecees - wife uses the dell P4 for studies at Uni' and the kids reluctantly use the laptop(P3) for homework and such, but we are getting my oldest son a G4 Imac 17 (or 20 if i can find one!!!) for his birthday in April, and I have a Wallstreet powerbook on its way...

...I wish i had have made the switch years ago, but hey, its all good - Im just bloody glad I did wake up to my own ignorance and make this brilliant decision(by the way, I do all my coding for work(php) in HyperEdit - Realtime Php Preview... try that on a winblows machine) :P

Switched enough? :roll:

I've pretty much had 'em all. Commodore Vic 20 followed by Commodore 64. Also had an Atari 400 lying around (rarely used). Used a Mac SE for a while, and in school worked on Mac's, IBM PC compatibles, Vax VMS, and SunOS boxes.

Once out of college I was grudgingly forced to a Windows world, and used W95, W98, NT3.5, NT4, Win2K, WinXP... Still stuck using the last 2 at work.

Made the first major switch about 4 years ago with an iMac purchase. Since then, I have purchased 3 other Macs (PowerBook G4, iBook for my wife, and now an Intel CoreDui iMac for my wife).

I now have 1 more Windows box to get rid of: My wife's old Compaq laptop that she still runs Quicken on (she's resistant to switch that over). Got a couple of old Dell's lying about in storage as well.

Here's the best part: Just last week I handed down my old iMac to my wife's parents, and so there's 1 less Windows machine I need to provide tech support for! Life just keeps getting better. Now if I could just find a job that was a little more mac-friendly, I'd be in heaven...

- Tim

I have a g4 imac for 3 years my first mac...that thing is great it's still works just like the first day I got it ..I'm so use to Pc after 9 months that thing just stop being useful...I just got mad so I got a mac and never look back...

...I'm kind of worried actually I want to get a new imac with intel but the one I have now still work fine...I don't know what to do ...but I may sell it or something..but I love my first mac I can't wait to get the intel imac soon.. :D

Well I still keep a PC, I use it for windows games (flight simulator nut) as well as to watch tv on with a tv card.