Sign in to follow this  
punica888

new iMac has arrived

Hm I guess yu might be right.

What i just find so strange is, backUp 3 does have Spotlight support but you can only select Sytem, computer, and Users Folder as locations to search.

Well i could ive with that.

But when I then do a Spotlight search in BackUp3 it does not find the file swhich I find when I use spotlight, really, strange

But I still will embark on the journey for a bit.

Just to see what I find along the way, I am sure I will learn something new.

As I do almsot every second sitting infront of this wondeful machine :)

Hey I kind of find a workaround to do the BackUp we talked about.

So i used automator and made a iCal plugin, which automatically runs every night at 7 p.m.. It then copies all the changed files in the user folder documents used in the last month to a folder called iDisk BackUp. And then 1 hour later BackUp3 copies all the files in this folder to my iDisk as a BackUp.

And at the beginning of each month automater automatically deletes the content of the folder iDiskBackup.

Since BackUp makes a backup to DVD on that day of the whole users folder.

Now the only thing left to do which I have not done yet make an automater action which deletes the old iDisk backUps since otherwise the iDisk would be full at some time and 1GB iDisk isn't that much is it? :)

Sounds like you figured it out... that's awesome.

What I was talking about however was Smart Folders... there's no way to get that same process going using Smart Folders.

But, you did it... very cool. I might just do something like that myself.

I have 4GB of iDisk space, so that's not really a big deal.

Let me know what you come up with for deleting the old backups off iDisk. The only thing I can think of off hand is that you would have to Automate the BackUp app to use the BackUp command of "erase iDisk backups". I don't think the Finder can go to your iDisk and erase backup files made with the backup app.

You could skip the Backup Program all together, and just copy the contents of your local "iDisk Backup" folder to your on-line iDisk using a Automator script for the Finder app. Then another Automator script could run each month to simply erase the folder on your iDisk. Because the file wouldn't have been made with the Backup app, they should be able to be deleted with ease.

Let me know what's up with that.

Very nice speaking with you dude... this is cool :-)

What I was talking about however was Smart Folders... there's no way to get that same process going using Smart Folders.

True and that is still a bit annoying :)

Sounds like you figured it out... that's awesome.

Let me know what you come up with for deleting the old backups off iDisk.  The only thing I can think of off hand is that you would have to Automate the BackUp app to use the BackUp command of "erase iDisk backups".  I don't think the Finder can go to your iDisk and erase backup files made with the backup app.

I think it should be possible I haven't tried and I am not going to as it is not necessary, but since I can do this myself automator should also be able to do it.

You could skip the Backup Program all together, and just copy the contents of your local "iDisk Backup" folder to your on-line iDisk using a Automator script for the Finder app.  Then another Automator script could run each month to simply erase the folder on your iDisk.  Because the file wouldn't have been made with the Backup app, they should be able to be deleted with ease.

Let me know what's up with that.

Very nice speaking with you dude...  this is cool :-)

Yeah I thought that too, when I let i run threw my head this afternoon. You know like when your cooking and you get these ideas?

Pretty much the whole BackUp3 application could be written by ourselves very easily using automator and possible some AppleScript.

BackUP3 just makes it easier.

It might as well be part of automator from the beginning.

But instead Apple uses it as an argument to sell .Mac.

Btw. I think I found a bug :),

when I use the iDisk and move large files the Finder tends to freeze and the whole computer starts to behave strangely.

To solve the problem, I have now a copy of my iDisk on the harddrive and sync it automatically with my iDisk online.

But this is still an annoying issue :)

Ok I have now tried everything I mentioned before:

When I tried to replace the iDisk BackUp with Automator, and when I tried the script with large files (in total about 20 MB o files), automator froze, and I think it must be because of the iDisk problem I mentioned at the end of my last post.

Then I also tried to set up automator to automatically delete old backUps which BackUp3 had created on my iDisk that also didn't work.

Because there was no way of selecting in Automator "Not created in the last 2 month" only "created in the last 2 month" so that doesn't work.

I am sure it is possible with Apple Script but not with Automator, or you need to do something I haven't discovered yet :)