Sign in to follow this  
punica888

new iMac has arrived

Hey Guys

Well my new iMac Intel "20 has arrived.

1GB Ram and 256 vRam

Now this is my first iMac so I cannot say if its better than the last one.

But I will still like to give my impressions as a switcher and a new iMac user.

Now I have used this iMac now for about 1.5h of which I first tried out video playback, photobooth and the internet.

Now the display is awesome and photobooth was lots of fun.

DVD Play was real easy once the DVD is inserted it just started playing and easy to control with the remote.

But now this is where the 1st Problem accured.

When I stopped the DVD playback with the remote and switched to FrontRow and started it playing in there, there were lines all over the display especially at the bottom. So I thought maybe because the DVD is now playing on the Desktop in the DVD player and Front Row.

So I went back to playing the DVD on the desktop but later when I tried out the trailer feature of FrontRow I also had lines all over the bottom when I played the trailer of Casanova.

the second problem was getting the iMac connected to the internet.

With my Windows laptop I just plug it in and it gets the IP Address from my router and "It just works"

With the iMac it did not just work.

I tried around lots until I noticed that on my laptop the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and on the iMac it was 255.255.255.0 when I noticed that I manually configured the network access and since then the Internet connection works.

I don't understand why the iMac couldn't configure itself and in the router it still doesn't show up as a networked computer all the Windows PCs do thow.

Maybe its my router don't know.

I use a AVM router www.avm.de its a very common router in Germany and I have the newest Firmware installed.

Also the lines in FrontRow are kind of annoying they kind of make FrontRow useless at least for DVD Playback.

Ok lets see how my Mac experience continues.

So far not off to a very good start especially the frontRow thing seems strange.

Maybe a clean install would fix it but I don't want to try to be honest. At least for now my first experiences on a Mac don't have to be to clean install the system

:( .

Let the fun continue :)

Keep in there... I'm sure Apple with release a fix for the front row issue. If not, check out the support forums on apple.com. There's bound to be a few issues with anything, but overall, you are going to love your new iMac.

resisting eurge to punch you in the face. :)

Why?

What the hell is that all about? Punching me in the face??? How is that appropriate? What gives?

What the hell is that all about? Punching me in the face??? How is that appropriate? What gives?

I asked the same question.

Super nested quotes are funny :-)

What are super nested quotes?

What are super nested quotes?

Geez, I wish I could think of an example of Super Nested Quotes to show you... but unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I saw them. Sorry.

lol i was talking about the person who just got the new imac. i was meant to be insane with jealously thats y i made the joke about wanting to punch them in the face.

lol i was talking about the person who just got the new imac. i was meant to be insane with jealously thats y i made the joke about wanting to punch them in the face.

Oh a joke.

Well bite my ass ;)

Yeah the new machine is awesome, i love it unfortuanetly, it will be my moms until the new MacBooks are ou.

'Cause she needs a new machine more urgently than me, but she wants a Laptop, and the MacBooks are just a teedy bit too expensive :)

Congratulations! Your new iMac arrived before mine, Amazon shows mine as out for delivery.

I ordered mine with the standard configuration from Amazon because they owed me $275 anyway. And then with the $150 rebate.

I also ordered 2GB of 200 pin SODIMM PC2-5300 in 2 sticks from NewEgg, but these have not shipped yet.

It really must be an issue with the updated vidRAM. Granted, I have the 17" core-duo, but the program front row works without a hitch. dvd's play great, trailors, doubly so, no glitches what-so-ever with front row. I truly feel bad that this is your first experience with mac, I would be totally P'O'd but luckily for me, my ibook and imac have been better to me than any windows machine I have ever owned. The ONLY pseudo-flaw I have seen with my imac is with the audio out plug. It's weird I know, but the 1/8 stereo jack that fits snuggly in my ibook (and dare I say my windows p.c.), kind of sticks out a bit. This does nothing for reception. I have two KRK studio monitors plugged in, and aside from the annoyance of metal sticking out, and the slight concern a short is on it's way, no worries. I hope everything works out for you, in my mind, even with the switch, mac still has it!

It really must be an issue with the updated vidRAM.  Granted, I have the 17" core-duo, but the program front row works without a hitch. dvd's play great, trailors, doubly so, no glitches what-so-ever with front row.  I truly feel bad that this is your first experience with mac, I would be totally P'O'd but luckily for me, my ibook and imac have been better to me than any windows machine I have ever owned.  The ONLY pseudo-flaw I have seen with my imac is with the audio out plug.  It's weird I know, but the 1/8 stereo jack that fits snuggly in my ibook (and dare I say my windows p.c.), kind of sticks out a bit.  This does nothing for reception.  I have two KRK studio monitors plugged in, and aside from the annoyance of metal sticking out, and the slight concern a short is on it's way, no worries.  I hope everything works out for you, in my mind, even with the switch, mac still has it!

Yeah your right, it does stick out a bit, ah well, I can definetly live with that :)

BUt about Front Row I am actually now thinking of maybe doing a reinstall at some point, because FrontRow might be fixed.

And I noticed after I installed office, that the iMac had test version on it.

Does the deinstall really emove everything?

Or should I just drap it into the rash and not wory what office did to my libraries?

And while I am asking questions.

How can I copy a DVD?

Do I have to get toast or can OSX do it, or is there some free proram?

Its a normal DVD with some cliparts nothing special.

Thanks guys

:)

I truly wish I could help you on many of your concerns Punica. Any third party software is a tricky area to comment on. You mentioned Word, and I myself am a fulltime student who can't live without it, but I have been questioning whether I should attempt throwing word on my new imac. I have professional, but it was a pre-Intel program as you know, and I don't know how efficient it will be. I will get back to you on that though. I will be installing it shortly just to test it out. I feel the same about Toast, as far as them being third party and not making a universal copy yet. Try questioning a true mac geek who has been using mac longer because I myself am a newbie to the mac world. four-months old to be exact, so I'm just a baby.

OS X will definately do it. You can use the Finder to drag and drop files to the blank DVD. You could also use disk utility to copy the disc, or make a disc image of your dvd. Toast is awesome, but a bit on the pricey side. If you got it, it would do so much more the that for you in the future. http://www.roxio.com

If you are looking to rip a commerical dvd, try either MacTheRipper or HandBrake... I use HandBrake and it is pretty cool... it just takes a awhile to do it's job... a one per night type thing.

Good luck.

thanks a lot yalskey

I will try Disk Utility right away.

And while searching for it another thing I noticed:

I am using a German Mac and I always have to go to the Utilities Folder and search for the Programmes you mention and find it in German.

It would be nice if Spotlight or something would ust recognise the English name when I type it in. Ah well not everything can be perfect ;)

Well I have now just deleted the Test Version of Office 2004 from my Mac.

Dragged it into the bin.

When I run the uninstall wizard it also find Office X files don't ask me why. A bit strange.

BUt can report that Words works like a charm, not problems.

The only other thing I was sort of disappointed about yet is that Azureus even though its a Java application does not run on my Mac.

I have to copy some files from eclipse into the Azureus folder to make it work.

Haven' tried that and don't think I am going to don't feel like experimenting yet :)

Check this link out then...

http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/art...-macs-02020451/

After you get to the page with the link above, click the "read more" link. The enter the digits and click on "start download".

I'm not sure that will help or not.

Also, maybe Quicksilver will work better for you then Spotlight. It's fast, free, and easy. Give it a whirl.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...fo/macosx/22549

It may just recognize the english names of the programs... but either way, it's a awesome utility. Just install it, and hit CTRL+SPACE then start typing the program name and hit enter. It can do a bunch more stuff too, so check it out.

Quicksilver is awesome, I anyway wanted to get it, cause I had heard so much about it.

Now I can control iTunes without using any Mouse at all or actually switching to iTuens really cool.

Azureus works, and there is already anew thing I noticed.

Azureus asked me to download the update for soemthign, so I did.

And I noticed it saved the download at /private/... which seems to be a hidden folder.

To I have to keep this hidden folderns cleaned up?

Cause it seems to me if all kinds of programms or Azureus save stuff there, then it will fill up quite quickly.

Well I guess a reinstall would fix the problem.

But it kind of reminds me of Windows. The harddrive filling up withut reason and I don't know why. :(

The Azureus private folder shouldn't be a problem for you. You don't need to check it constantly. It's just a place for Azureus to store some temporary files and update stuff. No worries.

How about posting a fun Photo Booth picture! :-)

Well I have added some FrontRow pics to my .Mac public folder.

.Mac username is tbiegner

Half of the pics I did with my cousin when the Mac had just arrived.

He had never seen a Mac before in his life.

And he probably said the 2 things most people who don't know anything about macintosh and see one for the first time say:

First: Where is the rest of the computer?

And second: "So this is not a serious computer is it?"

After seeing Front Row and PhotoBooth.

:)

Well its actually so much more serious than windows.

'Cause it is just awesome.

My favourite new feature right now are Smart folders to do BackUps with BackUp 3.

And something else I noticed: As you can also see with the photobooth pics.

Some of the pictures I did later and for some reason the automatic file name is English while before it was German a bit strange.

Even though I had not yet changed the system language for me to English (haven't fully yet have to restart first) maybe its to do with having installed Office or Updates to do something with it who knows.

Also anybody know how to select more than 1 pic in Front Row?

Command, ctrl , option (alt) or shift don't do anything, I can only select 1 picture, which is annoying when I just made a film of funny photos and I have to add them individually to iPhoto.

:P

PS: If you happen to use Windows, you can view the iDisk with this utility:

http://www.mac.com/1/idiskutility_download.html

I checked out your pics... those were pretty funny.

I don't thing you can select multiples in Front Row... it's more of a "remote control" interface... just hop out of FR and do it the old fashioned way.

I never really knew how to connect to someone else's iDisk account... I was sitting here scratching my head, and I finally said...

Ah ha... use the Finder's Go menu... it worked like a charm!

Apple is freak'in awesome.

Check it out, I'm chatting with someone from Germany dude... that so cool :-)

yeah that is awesome :D

The smart folder idea I had doesn't seem to work, but I will do a bit more research before I give up.

The idea I had was that I do a BackUp every month of everything and any documents I create until the next BackUp would get automaticaly backuped to my iDisk.

But when I told BackUp 3 to backup the smart folder is just backed up the folder and not whats inside so only the saved search.

Well there must be some way and I will find it!! :)

This so funny because I have tried to do this EXACT same thing on my Mac about 3 or 4 months ago.

I have even gone as far as to send email after email to Apple's tech support... but to no avail.

I really don't think it can be done dude.

I could be wrong, but I've been down the path you are about to embark on... and it didn't work for me.