Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

iPod Spinning Down

isaiah1112    0

I have a 60GB 5th gen iPod (Yes, the one with video) and every time I plug it into my PowerBook G4 to update it it only gets a little way through copying data and then just stops. If I try to do anything with my iPod, either in iTunes on in the Finder I get the spinning pinwheel and have to unplug my iPod while force restarting to get back to normal.

I have held my iPod up to my ear as stuff transfers to it and I can hear the hard drive spinning and writing data. Then after about 1 minute the HD Spins down and the copy stops... for good.

I have already tried restoring my iPod but it hasn't helped. The only thing that I can think of which might be causing this is the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card that I have the iPod plugged into since I don't have USB 2.0 native in my Powerbook.

I am just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and knows of a fix or if I should call Apple about it. I have only had my iPod a few months and also bought the Apple Care for it!

kwsanders    0

I have tried doing a reset of the iPod for starters by holding down the Menu and center buttons until you get the Apple logo?

You may also want to force an update of the software on the iPod as well if this does not work.

smc935    0

I had a similar problem with my wife's ipod mini on her G4 iMac. I ended up wiping out the ipod, deleting the iPod from iTunes, getting the latest software update, reinstalling the iPod software, and that took care of it.

isaiah1112    0

I have tried each of these but to no avail. I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad HD? I know that this would be REALLY rare but it just seems too weird!

smc935    0
I have tried each of these but to no avail. I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad HD? I know that this would be REALLY rare but it just seems too weird!

It could happen. Especially since a HD, as opposed to flash, can be physically damaged by movement. But 5Gs are pretty new so it is likely you are still covered by warranty. If so - no worries. Right?

isaiah1112    0

True, but I just think that it is strange that it would happen to me... When my powerbook was less than a year old the hinge on the screen broke and I had to get it replaced... so this is just icing on the cake!

Just FYI, I tried letting the update run all night... to see if the computer would ever stop giving me the pinwheel and this morning there was an error message on my screen which said "The disk Jesse's iPod could not be read or written to...". Guess I will be calling Apple.

I will let everyone know what happens when I am done!

Huskermn    33

Check out this article:

-36 or "Disk cannot be read from or written to" error syncing iPod in iTunes

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301267

When I had that problem it was a bad music file. Have you tried plugging it into a different machine to see if the problem occurs?