Sign in to follow this  
Huskermn

British ship conditions

I disagree with Adams contention the Brits shouldn't be spending money on iPod docks and nice digs for their sailors. Todays generation of recruits is more accustomed to better conditions and I'm sure recruiting is down in Britain as it is in the States. I think they're trying to be forward looking. I don't know that it's an incentive but it doesn't detract from enlisting which not being as comfortable in life can. Also, maybe they plan to use podcasting in some training format. Just my thoughts.

don't get me wrong I am all for supporting the troops and having iPod docks on everything, but I am not sure I would want my tax dollars spent that way. That's all.

don't get me wrong I am all for supporting the troops and having iPod docks on everything, but I am not sure I would want my tax dollars spent that way. Thanks all.

So how does your support manifest itself then, if your not willing to spend your dollars on their quality of life? Putting a yellow ribbon sticker on your car?

As a person who has lived in destroyers, I can assure you entertainment is necessary. Remember, Adam, the sailors and officers LIVE onboard those ships. And, it's not like they can pop down to the corner for a quick beer to kill some time.

What is not reported is what the iPod docks replaced from previous designs. Probably a much more expensive, and more difficult to maintain, closed-circuit system.

Well. OK lets put it in perspective. Yes I agree entertainment and morale are important. I would assume these quarters are small spaces. Do they require full 5.1 surround and integrated iPod docks? What about a simple "off the shelf" stereo iPod dock system that runs approx. $99 - $150 USD? I am not against spending money on moral, just excessive spending of money. Can the same entertainment need be met spending a little less money?

Well. OK lets put it in perspective. Yes I agree entertainment and morale are important. I would assume these quarters are small spaces. Do they require full 5.1 surround and integrated iPod docks? What about a simple "off the shelf" stereo iPod dock system that runs approx. $99 - $150 USD? I am not against spending money on moral, just excessive spending of money. Can the same entertainment need be met spending a little less money?

You do not put consumer electronics on a man of war.

Also, these things will probably be expected to last 10 or 20 years. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Sign in to follow this