Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

Saving Serial Numbers

In the latest issue of MacCompanion for Feb. 2006, in doc_Babad's Macintosh Tips column, it has a tip about saving serial numbers for registered software.

The tip was to actually save the serial number as a comment for the .dmg and then archive that file to CD or DVD. Unfortunately, I cannot get the system to allow me to type in a comment for a .dmg file.

Any thoughts?

original article: http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/febru...olumns/Tips.htm

I believe that aside from doing so on an unmounted *.dmg, you also need to hit enter a couple of times, until the text becomes selected. It is then saved. I just tried it with Adium's .87 release dmg and it worked great. Let me know how that works for you, could it really be that simple? Hehe.

Great tip though Kerry, thanks for sharing man! </me runs to find all his dmgs>

I have always kept mine in Password Wallet, which I use to keep track of all my passwords anyway. It syncs with my Palm so I can take them all with me and I also keep backups elsewhere.

roog

Thanks for the replies... Yea, Matt. That was the issue. When I read the tip, I thought it meant to mount the .dmg and then get the info screen. I did figure out later in the evening that it was to be done on an unmounted .dmg file. :oops:

I write mine.... on paper. :shock:

I one reason I might ever need to reinstall is if my computer crashed. In that case I wouldn't want my reg codes saved on it. I did the PDA thiing for awhile but those things aren't reliable enough for me.

I keep a CD wallet of all my software anyway so I just put the code with the disc(s).

The biggies (like MS Office) I have on paper and in a StickyBrain file. The rest I usually keep in StickyBrain and back up to my iPod and iDisk.