Sign in to follow this  
The Professor

48 Hours with an iMac Core Duo

After 48 Hours with an Intel iMac I have a few observations to share. This machine is very fast.

It's fast scrolling through thumbnails in iPhoto, and it draws web pages and fills them very quickly.

Screen rendering is generally very fast in Intel-compiled programs. Some programs running under Rosetta exhibit slower screen draws, noticed with Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Dreamweaver 8.0. Site-based operations and Edit > Find and Replace > Replace All operations in Dreamweaver seem clearly faster than on a Mac Mini but not quite as fast as a Dual G5 2.0GHz Power Mac. I did some sitewide operations and some SFTP file transfers with no problems. Dreamweaver seems perfectly usable in this scenario, much faster than running a big Windows application under Virtual PC.

Macromedia Fireworks seems just as fast as on my Power Mac.

One of my favorite little freeware gems, Desktop Manager, goes down in flames in this Intel iMac environment.

Photoshop Elements 2.0 works but occasionally throws out spurious warnings about file permissions, nothing bad happens though.

Web surfing is far more pleasant with the iMac, as it seems to draw web pages very, very quickly.

Today I removed the original 512mb DDR2 SODIMM and put in two 1gb sticks. The machine is even faster now. Scrolling through iPhoto thumbnails it seems as though the limiting factor is how quickly I can turn the scroll wheel. The thumbnail display keeps up quite well.

All geeks like to get new toys, but this one is especially nice because it really exemplifies the beauty and appeal of a well designed product.

It is a joy to use it. I'm very, very pleased with my iMac.

nice to hear that proffessor. I cant wait to show one off to my dad. And would you say that ther is a noticeable drop in app performance specically for the power pc running under roseta? and why can't you run virtual PC?

Oh man, they sound so good, hey, call me fry, dont you just want to give your great great unkle an iMac?

Oh futurama, If only there was more of it.

I LOVE DR ZOIDBERG!!!

nice to hear that proffessor. I cant wait to show one off to my dad. And would you say that ther is a noticeable drop in app performance specically for the power pc running under roseta? and why can't you run virtual PC?

Virtual PC needs to talk directly to the processor.

Of all the expensive pro-level software packages, the one I use most is Dreamweaver. What I notice in Dreamweaver is that when I open a file into Design View or Split View it takes a lot longer for the display portion to appear. The screen redraws more slowly than on my Power Mac.

But other types of operations like Find and Replace that involve accessing multiple files seem just as fast or just barely slower than on a PowerPC Mac.

I'd have to say that Rosetta is performing much better than I'd expected.

Yesterday I kept hearing this strange clicking noise from the back of my iMac. It sounded like the noise a hard drive makes when it is unparking the heads after power is applied. A hard, metallic clunk of a noise. This was happening in the middle of using the computer, so it was not the computer going to sleep.

It started to worry me a bit, so i ran Drive Genius and tested the hard drive by doing a full scan. In the middle of this scan, while the counters kept incrementing at the same rate, I heard this hard drive clunking sound again. It did not make sense that the heads could be parking or recalibrating while the numbers kept counting up smoothly.

Then I recalled that there was an external firewire drive on the desk behind the iMac, one I had used to back up the iMac. It seems to be characteristic of this particular MacAlly hard drive enclosure that it will decide to power up once in a while when it is sitting disconnected and idle. The iMac is fine:-)