Sign in to follow this  
Mr Nice

G5 lifespan?

We have just moved into the new intel era of apple computing,Most of us are using power pc based macs.So how is the G5 going to hold up in the coming years?

I understand its always going to perform the tasks in the same way with current software.But how will it handle the next release of the os and when will it start showing age with newer software and hardware?

you have to remember, its still one of the few 64 bit machines on the market right now. 64 was such a monumental gain, i dont think you would notice any draggin of it for at least the next 5 years, if not the next 10.

So my imac g5 is 64 bit cpu?what does that do comapred with 32 bit cpu's?

64 bit owns 32 bit. In other words your G5 is a very good computer.

Perhaps Steve will reconsider and give me one of these:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11215001/

Same. This is what Apple could have gotten if they stuck with IBM.

it only owns if the app is wirtten for 64 bit compatiblaty

Tiger is 64 bit.

and why does it "own"? I was listening to this argument on dl.tv today also. At least right now I can't see any advantage. Robert Heron was arguing that 64bit xp is more secure but that is only the case because no one uses it. Aside from that argument all I can tell is that there is virtually no software for it so who cares. Tiger is 64 bit... okay what does that mean for the end user. It doesn't add speed does it? what about security? What does it add? How does it affect things to have a 64bit OS and 32bit apps?

exactly my point. it will be a while before everyone in the world write apps for 64 bit. and right about that time, it will be at its peak. so youve got a long time to go.

exactly my point.  it will be a while before everyone in the world write apps for 64 bit.  and right about that time, it will be at its peak.  so youve got a long time to go.

this is an interesting and I would say very good point. I am still wondering though what are the long term advantages of 64bit software/hardware?

exactly my point.  it will be a while before everyone in the world write apps for 64 bit.  and right about that time, it will be at its peak.  so youve got a long time to go.

this is an interesting and I would say very good point. I am still wondering though what are the long term advantages of 64bit software/hardware?

With 64 bit hardware, a 64 bit OS, and software that knows how to use the 64 bit architecture, you can move twice as much data or do twice as much math through your CPU per clock cycle. It's like pouring water into 2 coffee pots at the same time, you get more coffee faster.

Imagine a highway 64 lanes wide, it can carry a higher volume of traffic.

true while 64 bit cpus can move twice as much data around its unlikey the average consumer will notice ical loads any faster.

Is it only twice as fast? whenever ive heard it described it sounds exponentially faster than 32 bit.

It is about as big a difference between a 286 and 386. Or say Windows 3.1 to Windows NT.

It is about as big a difference between a 286 and 386.  Or say Windows 3.1 to Windows NT.

Or windows 2000 to OSX Tiger.

one thing to definetly remember about 64 bit is it affects the amount of memory you can have. I dont think you can do any more than 3gigs of ram in a 32 bit machine.

So one of the best things i read about 64 bit machine is just that it refers to the hands of the computer. It is technically the register. It just affects the computers ability to process very large numbers, etc much faster. And of course once programs are written for th architecture you will really see a difference.

When the 64bit G5's first came out, they were described like this....

The difference between 32 bit and 64 bit when it comes to how much information you can process is like comparing the space you can hold on a single postal stamp, to the size of Brooklyn.

one thing to definetly remember about 64 bit is it affects the amount of memory you can have.  I dont think you can do any more than 3gigs of ram in a 32 bit machine.

With a 32 bit system you can put up to 4 GIGs of ram on there. However it can only adress 2 GB of it per program. 64 bit can have 4TB of ram and can adress 128 GB of it per program.

so what software has been made for 64 bit cpu's on the mac?will anyone bother now the move to intel has been made?

so the advantage is POWER :) sounds great but it doesn't sound like we are ready yet since 64bit chips have been out for a while now and there is still no software for them.

There is software. OSX. which is part of the reason its so amazing. The chips really havnt been out that long. Alot of people like microfost, adobe, etc wont bother working on 64 bit stuff because their prime market, the PC user, hasnt had it. But down many many more PC's and shipping with it and the intel chips in the new apples will soon be the same. So, i think it is just the right time. I think 2007 will be the year of all new 64 bit software.