Sign in to follow this  
Neil

University/College Recommendations?

I am in the 8th grade. Thinking about what type of course I want to take in high school. Which would then lead to what college or university [and courses] I want to go to.

For courses, I don't really know yet. Something in computers or networking of some kind. I live in Las Vegas, so I was thinking UNLV or ITT Tech.

(I want to go to Advanced Technologies Acadamy (Magnet High School))

So if anyone knows of some good tech universities or colleges I would love to know.

Thanks

Looks Great, but not for me.

I forgot to mention, I am more of a technical person and not a creative/graphic/animation person.

I am in the 8th grade. Thinking about what type of course I want to take in high school. Which would then lead to what college or university [and courses] I want to go to.

For courses, I don't really know yet. Something in computers or networking of some kind. I live in Las Vegas, so I was thinking UNLV or ITT Tech.

(I want to go to Advanced Technologies Acadamy (Magnet High School))

So if anyone knows of some good tech universities or colleges I would love to know.

Thanks

I would talk to the career/guidance counselor at your high school. Since it is a Magnet, they or the teachers should have some information about tech related universities, and how to prepare (your schedule) so you have a nice application.

Neil,

If you want to stay closer to home and want a superior technology/engineering education, look at Cal Tech. It's really the only university to rival MIT, which is another school you might want to review but is further away.

UNLV is a good university, but not a great one; and I always think students should move away from home for some university schooling if they can afford it. The sudden independence can really facilitate the act of maturing.

(Please don't misinterpret that last sentence as an insult. I believe EVERYONE matures throughout life, and college is one of those times where people grow and mature OR sometimes drown in a pool of immaturity.)

So, if you need to stay in Nevada because of costs, look at Reno.

The training you can receive at ITT Tech is good, but for the cost of the program you won't have the options granted to you by a traditional university. ITT Tech is much more like job training, not a university education. However, there isn't anything wrong with job training. In the end it might save you time and therefore money.

Also, as you haven't even started high school, I'm going to give you advice that I wish I'd understood when I was your age: Be a great student. High school academics are EASY compared to the real world. There is no reason you can not get an academic scholarship to ANY university if you apply yourself now. Pay attention in your English classes, many scholarships are based on essays and SAT scores, both of which require skills in the manipulation of language. GO TO SCHOOL FOR FREE! (I wish I had.)

I know teachers and the principal at A-Tech; let me know if I can help you with your application.

-Rob

Neil,

I know teachers and the principal at A-Tech; let me know if I can help you with your application.

-Rob

What principal are you thinking of? Cause when I went to the open house thing the principal said, "I have been the principal here for an entire seven days." So I don't know what happened to the old one.

Neil,

-Rob

What principal are you thinking of? Cause when I went to the open house thing the principal said, "I have been the principal here for an entire seven days." So I don't know what happened to the old one.

I know the new principal. Her name is Karen Diamond and she's from my school. The previous A-Tech principal retired.

She retired in the middle of the school year? Well I hope I get picked in the lottery to get in...

-------

Back to the original topic...

Does anyone recommend that I take a foreign language in HS for college purposes? I don't want to, but I know some colleges require it.

She retired in the middle of the school year? Well I hope I get picked in the lottery to get in...

Yes, for good reason this happens more often than retiring during the summer.

Does anyone recommend that I take a foreign language in HS for college purposes? I don't want to, but I know some colleges require it.

Take C++ ;)

No really take a foreign language. In NV Spanish is the most useful, but any language is fine.

-Rob

But do high schools in Clark County require that you take a foreign language? Cause I think I should be fine, but I still haven't decided on a college so I don't know what "my" college requirements will be.

But do high schools in Clark County require that you take a foreign language? Cause I think I should be fine, but I still haven't decided on a college so I don't know what "my" college requirements will be.

Foreign language is NOT required for graduation, but any counselor who advises you will tell you to take a foreign language because it makes your college application look good even if the college to which you apply doesn't require it.

-Rob

Oh, ok. Thanks

Do you know of a colledge that offers courses similar to A-Tech (Computer Science or Systems Technology Support)?

Do you know of a colledge that offers courses similar to A-Tech (Computer Science or Systems Technology Support)?

Check out Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester MA.

http://www.wpi.edu/

When I lived in Massachusetts years ago it was considered an excellent school for computer science.

http://admissions.wpi.edu/Academics/majors.html