Sign in to follow this  
Jaste

Can you disable podcasts in library view?

I seem to remember Adam talking about disabling Podcasts from showing up in Library view of iTunes. I have looked through all the options and can't see how to do it myself.

Does anyone have a link to show how it is done? I looked at some show notes but can't seem to find which show it was. I know it was after a major revision to iTunes that the podcasts started appearing in the Library view but I can't remember which upgrade it was (which would narrow down the show note search).

If anyone could tell me if/how it can be done it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, In iTunes 6 you can go to the "Parental" section of the iTunes preferences and disable the Podcasts section.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oops, after reading your message again I realized that you are actually trying to get them out of your Library listing. Good question... I will take a look and let you know what I can find!

I may be wrong, but, my recollection is you can't disable them from showing in your library if you're using ITMS to subscribe. If you can, I'm sure Isaiah will find it.

Ah Ha! I found it!

Here you go...

Starting with iTunes 5, all podcasts are shown in the Library together with music files. With iTunes 6, video files will show up there too, together with podcasts, audiobooks, and of course, music. If you dig in the Preferences, you'll notice there is no way to go back to iTunes 4.9 behaviour, where only music files where shown in the Library.

While for podcasts and videos there are separate entries in the Source column (Podcasts and Videos) you can select to view only those, there isn't one predefined for music only. Of course, you can always create a Smart Playlist which shows only music files, but there is a quicker way to do it.

If you want to use the Library in the same way you did in iTunes 4.9, you can click on the Library tab, and then choose Show Search Bar from the Edit menu, and then click Music on the bar itself. The Library will then show only music files.

This bar is convenient to rapidly switch between views of only music, only podcasts (ungrouped, including podvideos), only videos (all, including podvideos), only audiobooks, and only booklets.

The good news is that the chosen configuration will stick even if you relaunch iTunes, so you can have the iTunes Library tab always behave like in iTunes 4.9. Finally, the Search Bar works in any tab in the Source pane, including Smart and Normal Playlists. For Videos, the bar is always on.

What unfortunately doesn't seem possible is to be able to select more than one button, i.e. to show music and audiobooks.

Hopefully that will work for you Jaste!

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the reply. That will do the trick for me.

Greg

Your welcome! Glad I could be of service!

It worked for me too. Thank you so much for fixing one of my major qualms about iTunes.