Sign in to follow this  
myapplestuff

What Printer?

I am looking to get a bluetooth compatible printer. I have a limitation on space, and so was looking for a printer that could be placed in one room, plugged into the power, but not a computer.

I would then like to be able to print through a bluetooth connection from not only my Mac but also from a Notebook and Desktop PC that are all bluetooth enabled.

I know of some printers that do this but was wondering if anybody had any specific recomendations

it would seem that while you may find a printer, sounds like you have some in mind, that uses bluetooth, bluetooth is a bad way to accomplish what you want. Unles I am mistaken you would need to be resonably close to print with bluetooth and I would imagine that a bluetooth printer is a bit pricey. I am sure with a multitude of computers in the house you already have a network. Why not get a network printer. Or better yet buy whatever printer you want then add one of those adapter that allows you to plug a USB printer into a network.

heh

that would be great - but i have tried everything i can to get my mac to print on my existing printer. i have the desktop connected to a epson usb printer, and the notebook prints through the wireless network on that printer. i hav etried to set up the mac to print via SAMBA (smb:// ipaddress) to the printer but it keeps crashing out :-(

bluettoth option is rapidly becoming a last restort option

cheers

you should post that as a question in a seperate topic and I bet you will get the problem solved.

with Wi-Fi becoming standard on most laptops and easily placed in a desktop, have you considered a Wi-Fi enabled printer? They are definately more common than Bluetooth printers.

My experience is limited to the HP 5550 (I think) which is Wi-Fi(B) enabled at work and my Canon Pixma ip5200 WiFi g+b enabled. Both work very well with my powerbook and iMac, and with the HP, it is at work with a mixed PC/Mac enviroment, with minimal fuss. The Canon works particularly well and very speedy - almost as fast as when it is connected via USB2.

Worst case scenario when you don't a new printer - why not consider something like Apple's own Aiport Express? I'm sure other retailers also have similar devices, I just don't know about them - sorry.

Hope this opens at least a new avenue