Sign in to follow this  
Shayne Foley

Get your free Jabber ID at JabberMac.com!

Hey Mac Geeks

I heard Adam mention that a few Maccast listeners are curious about using iChat AV with the open source instant messaging (IM) protocol, Jabber. Since I have Jabber installed on one of my hosted servers, I figured I'd register a Mac-conscious domain and set it up for all to play with....for free.

All you have to do is go to http://www.jabbermac.com/maccast/ and tell me what you want your Jabber ID to be (anythingyouwant@jabbermac.com). Once your account has been setup, I'll send you an email confirming your Jabber ID and password. In most cases your ID will be activated within 24hrs. Sorry that the signup process is not automatic (but, I don't want to open it up to the world).

Your Jabber ID is a relay address for using iChat AV, or any other Jabber-enabled IM client, to chat with AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo users. Audio, video, text, and file-sharing should all work on this server. However, some individual IM clients don't support all of these features.

Enjoy the Jabber!

Shayne

out of curiosity:

1) can jabber and the builtin AIM be used side-by-side (i.e. at the same time) in iChat AV or does it have to be one or the other?

2) with jabber, is the ID universal? (i.e. not unique to the server you happen to sign up to)?

I'm expecting that to be yes and yes, but thought I'd ask because I haven't tried out the jabber network yet. thx.

..Ant

I know the answer to #1 is yes.

My jabber ID id adam@jabbermac.com if anyone want's to get on and chat.

:P

GreenAlien....the answer to #2 is no! Your ID is specific to the server, since it involves the URL of the domain! Also, if you choose to move to another Jabber provider, all of your contacts will need to be reauthorized.

Here's a good article on Jabber with Tiger.

http://www.instantmessagingplanet.com/ente...11208_3503186_1

One thing that the above article points out is that Jabber is the only SSL compatible IM option using iChat. So, whilst I hope that down the road we can impliment an SSL certificate on JabberMac.com, this level of security is currently not possible using any other protocol.

Thanks.

Shayne

hmm my second question was badly worded. I was actually asking, if we sign up to your Jabber server, can I chat to other people signed up on other Jabber servers, that's kinda what I meant by having a universal ID. Seeing as the jabber ID includes your domain name I think it's safe to assume the answer is 'yes'. Sounds quite neat actually, must try this jabber thing out...

Was thinking, would be cool if Mac.com had a jabber server. Would give some neat Jabber IDs.

..Ant

edit: my id is ant@jabbermac.com

thanks Shayne

for those who use Trillian Pro on a PC there appears to be a bug with the Jabber plugin. If someone adds you to their contact list, you'll receive notification asking whether you want to allow them to see your status, and you'll also be asked if you want to add them to your own contact list. While they do get added to your contact list, they'll always appear offline, even when they're online! This has happened consistently for me since setting it up. The solution seems to be to go through the "Add Contact/Group" menu option and add them to your list that way - then they'll be correctly shown as online/offline.

..Ant

Hi

I'm glad so many people have decided to Jabber. Open source software rocks!

I just want to point out that, since an SSL certificate isn't currently installed on my server, you will need to deselect the “Connect using SSL” button under ‘Server Settings’. If this is not deselected, you will receive an error telling you that you can't connect with the server.

When I get an SSL certificate, I'll let everyone know.

Enjoy the Jabber!

Shayne

[shayne@jabbermac.com]

PS....some people have asked that others consider posting their Jabber address (or other IM address) to this forum.

Something I always do is turn on the option in your messenger to only accept incoming messages from people on your contact list. I have been on AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and MSN for a few years (been using Trillian Pro since v1.0, and ICQ client prior to that) and never received a single unsolicited message or worm/virus on any network.

..Ant

Hi All:

I signed up for an account.

gregbd@jabbermac.com

Signed up here... kwsanders@jabbermac.com

I now need to get a Jabber client for my heathen box at work. :(

I am getting a bunch of errors when I try to authorize with others who've posted their jammermac.com account.

Anyone else experiencing same thing?

Well, I never did get mine to work. I figured it was something I was doing on my end though.

Kat

Well, I never did get mine to work. I figured it was something I was doing on my end though.

Kat

I had to uncheck "SSL" in the preferences to get it to work. Although I have not spoke with anyone, so I am not sure if it works or not.

I've added a bunch of people to my list...some say Waiting for Authorization, others say Not Authorized.

Oh well.

Hey pixelZion

If you're still having problems connecting with your existing IM contacts, can you post here again if you keep having problems with folks accepting your invitation? You should only see those messages while invitations are pending. Thanks.

Shayne

Hi Kat

Did you ever get things working? Did you try deselecting SSL?

Thanks.

Shayne

nope, I really was just waiting for authorization. :) Everything is fine now.

I honestly haven't tried again. :oops:

I'll have to try it again when I get back home. Grabbing wireless right now at my hotel, so don't have time to work with it much.

Thanks!

Kat

Hey Mac Geeks

For those of you who want to IM with an MSN user over Jabber, using iChat, you can now use my free service, JabberMac. My host has just upgraded the Jabber server, along with the transport protocols that allow jabber users to IM with users of AOL, MSN, etc. If you've experienced periods of no service over the past couple of days, this is why.

I have just tested the server protocols and they now appear to work fine with MSN. The problem is that I'm told MSN, et al. tend to change their transport protocols regularly. As such, the protocols that are in place are still 'brittle'.

At some point, the most stable solution might be a multi-transport IM client, like Adium http://www.adiumx.com/.

wschamps04, you might find this blog entry useful....

iChat to MSN Through Jabber

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-m...through-jabber/

Happy jabbering!!

Shayne