Sign in to follow this  
vintagegeek

Reprogram iBook function pg down up keys

I looking for a means, using only my right hand, to perform a page down or page up.

With the iBook I have to hold down the function key with my left hand and hit the pg dn (arrow key) with my right. Is there any way to make this a one handed action? THANKS

You may want to look into "sticky keys" in System Preferences > Universal Access.

For Safari, you can page down / page up by pressing space / shift-space.

Or you can use the track pad and option-click on the scroll bar arrows.

[EDIT:] You can also try two finger scrolling on the track pad.

Only on newer models of laptops, though. But that is scrolling-- what he wants is to is use the pg up and pg down keys that the arrow (scroll) keys double as.

BTW, space and shift-space work on Firefox, too. That covers about everything that anyone uses, and I have not tested that on other browsers, it probebly works there too. It seems to be an equivilent of pg up and pg down, no matter what browser you are in. Sounds like the answer to the question to me...

For more keyboard shortcuts, check out "Default Mac OS X System Key Bindings":

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/System%2...20Bindings.html

I've also wanted the ability to reprogram the iBook keyboard. OS X 10.4 allows the caps lock and modifier keys to be remapped (at System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys...), but instead I want to map the "numpad enter" key to option key so that I have option key on both sides of the keyboard (useful for shortcuts such as commad-option-arrows for VLC). I'm not sure if this is possible.