Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

Unable to load CD in iTunes

I was not sure if this should go here or in the Off Topic forum. If inappropriate here, maybe the mods will move it.

Anyway, I just purchased "A Collision" by David Crowder Band today. I was going to rip the CD so I could listen to it on my Mac. Whenever I put the disc in the drive, I can hear the drive spin and back down three times and then the CD is ejected.

Has anyone else seen this with this or any other CD? I was able to see it in iTunes on my Windows based laptop with no problems.

Interesting Kerry, does that happen with any other CD's? What label would that be?

I was not sure if this should go here or in the Off Topic forum.  If inappropriate here, maybe the mods will move it.

Anyway, I just purchased "A Collision" by David Crowder Band today.  I was going to rip the CD so I could listen to it on my Mac.  Whenever I put the disc in the drive, I can hear the drive spin and back down three times and then the CD is ejected.

Has anyone else seen this with this or any other CD?  I was able to see it in iTunes on my Windows based laptop with no problems.

Kerry,

It might be useful to closely examine the CD jewel box to see what the seller claims about the media. Do you see the Compact disc logo? Is there anything mentioned about it being an enhanced CD?

I looked up this item at one of my music stores, and it seems it is an "enhanced" CD, not any ordinary audio CD. See http://tinyurl.com/8yuua

Here at our house we decided after the recent Sony Spyware Installer scandal that we would no longer buy recordings of music on any media that is not an ordinary audio CD.

Of course I prefer ITMS anyway.

Edited to fix URL

Interesting Kerry, does that happen with any other CD's? What label would that be?

This is the first CD that I have ever had it happen with. I ripped four others last night with no problems. This particular album is from Sparrow Records.

I looked up this item at one of my music stores, and it seems it is an "enhanced" CD, not any ordinary audio CD.

Bummer... oh well, I guess I can rip it with the Windows box and then move the files over. That should work. It is just annoying. I am starting to really hate DRM (read: C.R.A.P.)

That's what I thought the issue was. It's sad because it does more harm than good even without the hijacking crackware. I say screw up the Windows box and let the good times roll on the Mac (especially if it's a work WinLaptop)

Wouldn't you know it? I came across another CD tonight. "Dawn Escapes" by Falling Up.

When you guys mention the little CD picture, are you talking about the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning icon?

When you guys mention the little CD picture, are you talking about the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning icon?

Kerry, I meant this logo

images.jpeg

This means it is a genuine Redbook CD with no greedy corporate rootkits or other CRAP.

I like your definition btw.

Prof

I did not see that particular logo. The one that I am seeing on the CDs that are enhanced and I cannot rip is this one.

logo removed ... after reading the page a little more carefully, I figured I would post a link to the site showing the logo instead of the logo itself. (site: http://www.fbi.gov/ipr/) I would hate for my wonderful government to come down on me for pirating their logo about anti-piracy. :)

I have two CDs from the same band. One is from 2004. It does not have the logo and I was able to import it with no problem. The new CD that I just bought yesterday for the same group has the logo. It is not importable on the Mac... well, not so fast. :)

I came across a discussion on the Apple Discussion Forums that was started yesterday about this very issue. I got some tips and I now have my music on my Mac. :mrgreen: (discussion: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...31405)

I ended up telling Finder not to launch iTunes when I insert a music CD. I then used Toast 6 Titanium to export the AIFF files to my disk. I am now going to go into iTunes and import the files.

Whoa! Interesting. I launched iTunes and it immediately saw the mounted disc, checked Gracenote, and I am able to import the files the normal way. Hmmm....

I had the same issues, with a different cd, for me it was the soundtrack to the SNES game, Chrono Trigger, bought directly from Square Japan (not a bootleg) and it has the compact disc logo. When inserted, my iBookjust spinds a few times and spits it out, finder never sees it, even Toast doesn't see it.