Sign in to follow this  
RedZeppelin

Review of Camino 1.0 from Wired

I decided to download and install Camino on my macbookpro. I hate safarri and have been using firefox deerpark. I don't use the rss features or the extension for firefox and Camino sounds like it integrates better, plus I like the exclusivity of a mac only browser.

I decided to download and install Camino on my macbookpro.  I hate safarri and have been using firefox deerpark.  I don't use the rss features or the extension for firefox and Camino sounds like it integrates better, plus I like the exclusivity of a mac only browser.

And what do you think?

I personally love Safari but my backup browser has always been Camino... even when it was in Alpha and Beta! Firefox is just tooooooooooo slow for my taste on a Mac! Plus, the interface is clunky!

Camino has been just brilliant for me. I have been using it on a iMac (PowerPC) and a Macbook Pro (Intel). The performance is super... fast and bug-free. It does not have lots of plug-ins, but maybe that is what makes it faster.

Cheerio

I tried Camino because I was so disappointed with Safari, but even with Camitools, Camino doesn't handle adblocking and flashblocking nearly as well as Firefox. It does everything else well, but I'm just so spoiled from using Firefox that it drives me crazy now to see webpages full of adds and flashies, regardless of how fast the page loads.

I have not had a problem with web ads and pop-ups... after they were blocked off in the Preferences.

I use the special optimiezed versions of FireFox for the G4 and the G5 chip. They give me great speed and all the themes and extensions that I could want. Camino givs me the same speed with no extensions of themes. Which should I chose? FireFox. Now if Camino had FireFox G4/G5 speed and intergration with OSX (Address Book intergration like Safari, A beautiful interface like Safari...) that would make me see past the lack of themes and extensions. However if anybody can find an extension for FireFox that allowes it to intergrate with Address Book, they would be a hero in my book.

Camino is a wicked app! Plus, Camino runs Google Calendar wheras Safari does not. And the brushed metal look in Safari is passe. Camino is way cleaner.

People say that Camino is slower than Safari, is that true?

I have found both Firefox and Camino to be faster than Safari.

But Safari has the intergration with Address book which is big for me. And I can not find an extension for FireFox to intergrate with address book. If anybody could find one, that would be great.

But Safari has the intergration with Address book which is big for me. And I can not find an extension for FireFox to intergrate with address book. If anybody could find one, that would be great.

That wasn't the question. The question was regarding speed.

I decided to download and install Camino on my macbookpro.  I hate safarri and have been using firefox deerpark.  I don't use the rss features or the extension for firefox and Camino sounds like it integrates better, plus I like the exclusivity of a mac only browser.

And what do you think?

I personally love Safari but my backup browser has always been Camino... even when it was in Alpha and Beta! Firefox is just tooooooooooo slow for my taste on a Mac! Plus, the interface is clunky!

I don't see Firefox as slow. It seems just as fast as Safari plus if you factor in the frequent crashes of Safari then Firefox is definitly faster. I have been using Camino for a while now and I love it. It looks great I really like the ability to delete multiple pages from your history easily without wiping out your whole history, it supports shift select and apple select [for when you are shopping for your wife maybe...or whatever]. I don't like that you can't click a drop down for the back button to jump a few pages back and instead must go sequentially. I don't actually use any of the integration features because I am a bit paranoid and I like keeping my passwords in my head rather than having them saved but I like having a browser that only works on OSX. So overall I give it a thumbs up.