Sign in to follow this  
wmeeds

Keyboard stuff from a switcher

Coming from a PC, I am still having trouble finding a few keyboard shortcuts. Three quick questions:

1. Is there a key command that will open the File, Edit, View, etc. menus of a given program. Apple's Tech support suggested ^F2, and then the right arrow to the appropriate menu--rather long...

2. When filling in a form in my browser, the tab key won't move to the next box if it is a drop-down box. Is mousing the only solution?

3. The key command to send an app to the dock is cmd-M. Is there no key command to retrieve it from the dock?

Thanks!

wmeeds

The arrow keys do help. Is there a keyboard technique for navigating from one box to another in a browser form?

Also, does anyone know of a key combination that will cause the menu of a given app to open? (similar to the ALT-F command on a Windows machine for opening the File menu).

^F7 will toggle tabbing to all elements in a form.

^F2 F+down or enter will bring up the file menu. There is also a way to bring it up with the mouse. If I recall it is just clicking on it.

Thanks for the ^F7 tip. Works like a charm!

Also, thanks for the humor. Got any idea what is happening when ^F2 only 'bonks' at me, and doesn't select the Apple menu?

Also, thanks for the humor. Got any idea what is happening when ^F2 only 'bonks' at me, and doesn't select the Apple menu?

That is because you have to hold the Control key down when you push F2

That is because you have to hold the Control key down when you push F2

If you mean hold down the Control key while pressing the F2 key, that's what I'm doing.

Hmmm... Out of curiosity what version of OS X are you running? Is it Tiger?

Tiger...10.4.5. In the last post I should have noted that only get the 'bonk' when I am in some apps and not others. Mail, iCal, Stickies, and Software update give the 'bonk.' Firefox, iTunes, and Finder are all silent---nothing happens. Got any ideas?

Here's a guess -- if you're running an iBook (like me), you have to press CTRL and FN (function) and F2.