Sign in to follow this  
tallimac

dropped my ipod and it has turned off

hi all please help, I dropped my ipod about a metre from the floor and it has turned off, screen stopped working first ad then it turned off after about 20 minutes, nnow it will not turn back on, any idea's, thought it might be the hard disc broke but I have got a ipod photo 60g and got the rubber protection for it and it was in it carry case, the one from apple. thanks, mike

Have you tried resetting the iPod by holding the center button and the menu button at the same time until you see the Apple logo?

I would DEMAND a free repair or a refund because this shoulddn't break at 1 meter (metre)

If it is any kind of normal iPod, i cant even count the number of ways this could easily break from 1 meter. Thats a pretty good distance for a HDD based music player that heavy. Now I can throw my nano against the wall without a scratch, but thats a whole different thing.

I would DEMAND a free repair or a refund because this shoulddn't break at 1 meter (metre)

If it is any kind of normal iPod, i cant even count the number of ways this could easily break from 1 meter. Thats a pretty good distance for a HDD based music player that heavy. Now I can throw my nano against the wall without a scratch, but thats a whole different thing.

oh sure with out a scratch, it won't break but it will get scratched.

1 metre drop? Probably near the limits of what such hard drives are supposed to survive. Try shaking it or banging it a bit incase something in the hard drive got jammed from the impact. That's unlikely to work though and you'll probably have to go to apple store.

1 Meter isn't much. Try making sure the hold switch is off, and then plugging it into a power source (wall adapter or Firewire port) and then hold down the Menu and select buttons for 30 seconds. I know that Apple says it should take 6 seconds, and they also say that an iBook's forced shutdown should take holding the power buttin for 6 seconds, but it takes 30 or more in both cases :roll:

oh sure with out a scratch, it won't break but it will get scratched.

I didnt mean literally without a scratch, just meant that to wont break at all. Ive dropped several different iPods from far more than 1 meter many times in my life. The nano is the only one so far to survive.

I guess if anyone was curious how much forcer it really is, you could stand up right now, lean back, and fall on your ass without stopping yourself,lol. Thats just a little more than 1 meter. I bet it hurts.

My 3G iPod died a similar death. Sending it to PodResQ taught me that the hard drive and logic board both got toasted. Repair cost was more than a new iPod. If my wife had locked her car doors at work, we'd still have that second iPod too. :cry: