Sign in to follow this  
sttrek341

MacBook Pro in stores?

Anyone know when the MacBook Pros will be in the retail stores???

danbury, ct has a display model.

2.0 mhz model

1gb ram

seems fast.

played around in iphoto, imovie, i web, comic life...really rolls over my 1.25 powerbook g4...

other things of note:

magsafe REALLY grabs onto the machine. suprisingly so.

took the powercord off to see battery life - indicator said 2:45 which seems pretty good...

display was not noticably shorter than the 15" g4's that were on both sides of it... couldn't play with front row...

did try the photobooth and the built in isight...

overall, i'd have loved to take it with me...no such luck. even if i could afford it.

what? are you saying that they are in the stores?

they have one.

they aren't letting it go.

none in stock, just then one display.

i'd been calling for a week. today, they said, "we might have one later today."

went by and they had one sitting in between 2 other older pb's...

They're at the Indianapolis Keystone store. Just got back from playing with them. They don't know when they'll be getting more. I'd use the 3-4 weeks as a good judge. One of the employees said they get shipments every week, they're not sure if the MBP will be included in those.

Impressions:

2.0Ghz Core Duo, 1 gig of ram

Speed: Crazy fast. I was impressed with the speed of everything. Application launches were almost instant, window redraws were much faster than on the neighboring 17" G4 Powerbook. You can definately tell a difference in OSX. Leaves my iBook G4 in the dust.

Design: Looks amazing and it is very thin. Impressive in person I must say. I saw no physical flaws or warping.

Screen: Yes, it is MUCH brighter! Once again, going back to my iBook is disappointing. The colors are vivid and bright and even turned down, it looks great.

Battery life: Unplugged it and it said 3:35...played with a bunch of programs and it was pretty accurate. Not scientific at all, so I cannot comment on real world performance.

MagSafe: Neat innovation. The physical plug is so small and it does hold very tight.

Rosetta: Apps under Rosetta ran nicely...especially MS Office. Quicken and QuickBooks launched pretty quickly. Logic Express Demo was the slowest of them all though. MS Office apps launched and ran much quicker than on my iBook.

iSight: I never have used a webcam, but the quality isn't bad at all. Photobooth is a cool app. Some have questioned whether it would be distracting or not having the big black dot up there. It's not at all...then again, the latch on my iBook is just as big really.

Weight: Definately light...it's easily portable and seems durable.

Bluetooth: Tested using a RAZR (showing someone Address Book) and it synced perfectly.

Trackpad: Huge! It's actually welcome because it's much larger and is easier to manuever around.

Front Row: Without the remote, all you have to do is press Cmd-Esc and it works quite well...tested videos and everything else and no tearing issues. It was quite snappy I must say!

Heat: Near the LCD it was pretty hot, the speaker grills were warm and the trackpad area was relatively cool. The bottom was fairly hot, but nothing like my wife's Dell Inspiron 1100.

Reported Strange Noise:I couldn't hear anything at all and I played with the thing for a long time. I'm pretty sensitive to these noises too...

Overall, I couldn't tell I was using a different processor (Go figure) outside of the fact it was FAST. The speed of OS X alone leaves PPC processors in the dust. Under the hood, the processor's different, but man, this is what we've been waiting for. The Intel haters can cry all they want, but I'll say it again: it's OS X that's the heart and soul of the Mac. Photoshop benchmarks show even under Rosetta that the new Intel Macs can compete with even dual core G5s. PPC processors served it 's purpose, but it's time to move on. You can trumpet the advantages of PPC all you want, but in the end Freescale and IBM couldn't deliver. The new Power 6 announcement is great and all, but (kick the face to Apple? Hardly.) When do we expect it will come? Knowing IBM, it'll be a while.

Will I be getting one? Defiantly. The screen real estate alone and the quality is enough to sell me. Once caveat: the hinge doesn't go back as far as it used to. it's not too bad, but may be bothersome to some. As someone here would say: I told you the new Intel Mac$ would $uX0r$. I need to brush up on my l33t speak.

thank you. i need to go to my store and take a look to see if they are there.

Get a PowerBook

Get a PowerBook

havnt we already gone over this.

Get a PowerBook

BOO POWERPC< IT LEFT MY LEG RED AFTER WATCHING SCARY MOVIE 3!!! ITS FAILING HARDWARE AND IS FREAKING HOT, THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE QUAD POWERMACS IS ESKIMOS, GO INTEL CORE DUO!!!!

Get a PowerBook

BOO POWERPC< IT LEFT MY LEG RED AFTER WATCHING SCARY MOVIE 3!!! ITS FAILING HARDWARE AND IS FREAKING HOT, THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE QUAD POWERMACS IS ESKIMOS, GO INTEL CORE DUO!!!!

What he meant to say was:

OMG p0//3r peecee !$ 7h3 83$7. !||731 1$ 7h3 $ux0r$. (As if we haven't heard it once ) :roll:

Get a PowerBook

I am going to ignore that.

Get a PowerBook

Too bad the 15" is EOL'ed. Now you'll get them through Amazon, and soon, they'll be relegated to the Apple refurbished store and then finally to the graveyard that is Ebay.

(Just kidding, they're kick-a)

Long live the MacBook Pro!

Get a PowerBook

Too bad the 15" is EOL'ed. Now you'll get them through Amazon, and soon, they'll be relegated to the Apple refurbished store and then finally to the graveyard that is Ebay.

Accualy why get a macbook pro when you can get a 17" PowerBook refurb?

Get a PowerBook

Actually, maybe they don't want the size. The 17" is pretty big and they might want the added iSight, Front Row, and the brighter screen. Some people may find that the MBP is the way to go.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO TRUMPET IT EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!

Get a PowerBook

Actually, maybe they don't want the size. The 17" is pretty big and they might want the added iSight, Front Row, and the brighter screen. Some people may find that the MBP is the way to go.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO TRUMPET IT EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!

I am just stating my opinion.

Get a PowerBook

that is a understatment. you are over posting your opinion.

Get a PowerBook

Good point. This won't happen again. Or at least until thursday.

Get a PowerBook

what happens thursday?

Get a PowerBook

what happens thursday?

Just a joke.

danbury, ct has a display model.

2.0 mhz model

1gb ram

seems fast.

played around in iphoto, imovie, i web, comic life...really rolls over my 1.25 powerbook g4...

other things of note:

magsafe REALLY grabs onto the machine. suprisingly so.

took the powercord off to see battery life - indicator said 2:45 which

seems pretty good...

display was not noticably shorter than the 15" g4's that were on both sides of it... couldn't play with front row...

did try the photobooth and the built in isight...

overall, i'd have loved to take it with me...no such luck. even if i could afford it.

WOW 2mhz!!!!!!!!! How can that cope with a GB of RAM?

I was at the apple store today and they had 2 macbook pro's on display. They didn't have any in stock and the guy said that although they ussually get 1 a day it never hangs around.

My local Apple store also has two MBPs on display. The salesperson I talked to today said they've been getting three or four in pretty much every day. They're working off a waiting list. My name's on there somewhere but they won't or can't give me an ETA.

Apple's website now says the ship time is 2-3 weeks, down from 3-4 weeks just a couple of days ago.

I went ahead and purchased Apple Care for the MBP today just to move things along.

downing what store did you go too?

downing what store did you go too?

The downtown store at Pioneer Place.