Sign in to follow this  
gcurtis

New Macbook pro...just played with it...

danbury, ct has a display model.

2.0 mhz model

1gb ram

seems fast.

played around in iphoto, imovie, i web, comic life...really rolls over my 1.25 powerbook g4...

other things of note:

magsafe REALLY grabs onto the machine. suprisingly so.

took the powercord off to see battery life - indicator said 2:45 which seems pretty good...

display was not noticably shorter than the 15" g4's that were on both sides of it... couldn't play with front row...

did try the photobooth and the built in isight...

overall, i'd have loved to take it with me...no such luck. even if i could afford it.

That is weird. I was at an Apple Store today and no mac book pros.

yeah, i guess they don't arrive at all the retail stores at the same time when demand is so high?

it also says "macbook pro" right where mine says powerbook g4 (not surprising...)

i actually missed it the first 2 times i looked at the row of pb's...

Taken from my post in Hardware:

Impressions:

2.0Ghz Core Duo, 1 gig of ram

Speed: Crazy fast. I was impressed with the speed of everything. Application launches were almost instant, window redraws were much faster than on the neighboring 17" G4 Powerbook. You can definately tell a difference in OSX. Leaves my iBook G4 in the dust.

Design: Looks amazing and it is very thin. Impressive in person I must say. I saw no physical flaws or warping.

Screen: Yes, it is MUCH brighter! Once again, going back to my iBook is disappointing. The colors are vivid and bright and even turned down, it looks great.

Battery life: Unplugged it and it said 3:35...played with a bunch of programs and it was pretty accurate. Not scientific at all, so I cannot comment on real world performance.

MagSafe: Neat innovation. The physical plug is so small and it does hold very tight.

Rosetta: Apps under Rosetta ran nicely...especially MS Office. Quicken and QuickBooks launched pretty quickly. Logic Express Demo was the slowest of them all though. MS Office apps launched and ran much quicker than on my iBook.

iSight: I never have used a webcam, but the quality isn't bad at all. Photobooth is a cool app. Some have questioned whether it would be distracting or not having the big black dot up there. It's not at all...then again, the latch on my iBook is just as big really.

Weight: Definately light...it's easily portable and seems durable.

Bluetooth: Tested using a RAZR (showing someone Address Book) and it synced perfectly.

Trackpad: Huge! It's actually welcome because it's much larger and is easier to manuever around.

Front Row: Without the remote, all you have to do is press Cmd-Esc and it works quite well...tested videos and everything else and no tearing issues. It was quite snappy I must say!

Heat: Near the LCD it was pretty hot, the speaker grills were warm and the trackpad area was relatively cool. The bottom was fairly hot, but nothing like my wife's Dell Inspiron 1100.

Reported Strange Noise:I couldn't hear anything at all and I played with the thing for a long time. I'm pretty sensitive to these noises too...

Overall, I couldn't tell I was using a different processor (Go figure) outside of the fact it was FAST. The speed of OS X alone leaves PPC processors in the dust. Under the hood, the processor's different, but man, this is what we've been waiting for. The Intel haters can cry all they want, but I'll say it again: it's OS X that's the heart and soul of the Mac. Photoshop benchmarks show even under Rosetta that the new Intel Macs can compete with even dual core G5s. PPC processors served it 's purpose, but it's time to move on. You can trumpet the advantages of PPC all you want, but in the end Freescale and IBM couldn't deliver. The new Power 6 announcement is great and all, but (kick the face to Apple? Hardly.) When do we expect it will come? Knowing IBM, it'll be a while.

Will I be getting one? Defiantly. The screen real estate alone and the quality is enough to sell me. Once caveat: the hinge doesn't go back as far as it used to. it's not too bad, but may be bothersome to some. As someone here would say: I told you the new Intel Mac$ would $uX0r$. I need to brush up on my l33t speak.

I'm typing to you from my MacBook Pro 2.0 w/ 2 gig of RAM and the 7200 100 Gig drive.

I'll get the whining out of the way: Rosetta is my only complaint. It's not that bad but not what I've come to expect from Apple and OS X. I just put a story and a new theory regarding Dvorak's Windows rant and Rosetta up in my blog, instead of retyping it here: click here For the most part Rosetta is livable but I'm scurring to find universal binaries because I am finding it annoying. You can load Word docs faster on the MacBook as noted in previous part of this thread. I did a side by side click on a file w/ my PB 1.67 and there was no contest.

My other thoughts: SPEED, SPEED, SPEED. I'm old enough to remember when I upgraded my 8Mhz 286 to a 12Mhz 286 and you kind of saw a difference. There's no mistaking things are faster.

The screen should come w/ sunglasses. I "replaced" a 17in PB w/ this MacBook the screen is so nice I don't miss the extra 2 inch of real estate.

MagSafe: Cute but who cares.

Battery life: not as good as my PB, but close maybe about 10% less time on a charge.

I really have to look to see that the MB is thinner than my PB when closed and side by side.

iSight was cool. I got a surprise as you start up for the first time. You click and move to the next screen and it's you looking back at you. They turn the camera on so you can take a picture to use instead of having a butterfly as your icon. :)

The Photobooth app is really cool, using the iSight you can take pictures and do mirroring etc. Stuff like this:

Photo1.jpg

FrontRow: Yawn, why won't the remote control work w/ PowerPoint or Keynote? A lot of us use our laptop for entertainment AND as a tool. I'd love to have a "comes with" remote for use during presentations. What's the matter Apple, not trying to compete w/ the business world, sticking w/ home and entertainment?

I'll agree with the heat, at the hinge above the function keeps you can only hold your fingers there for a few seconds. 2 or 3 degrees hotter and I think it would burn. :) Bottom is fine, warm but tolerable.

I'll be happy to fend any questions you guys have.

@marke How did you get a macbook pro? They are not in stores yet.

I'm typing to you from my MacBook Pro 2.0 w/ 2 gig of RAM and the 7200 100 Gig drive.

Very nice! Thanks for the informative post about your experience with your new toy. I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get one. It will probably cost me an extra $2500 to get one... that would be the price of a new sewing machine that she is wanting. :)

Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky LuckyLucky Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky!..............................You get the picture!

Just blazing the trail for the rest of you. :-)

I just drive a Jeep w/ 75,000 miles on it, and use the $'s on computers.

Hey no one commented on my theory Rosetta is actually Windows on the Intel Macs already. :-) http://marksblog.net

.... I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get one. It will probably cost me an extra $2500 to get one... that would be the price of a new sewing machine that she is wanting. :)

Sounds familar. I started drooling over them when I saw January's keynote. Luckily I received word from work about my bonus a week later. As soon as i mentioned to my wife that I wanted to get one, her response was ...

"Sure, but keep in mind that we have that trip to Cabo this spring. You get yourself that new computer and I'm going to hit the jewelry stores"

I hate when she does that... but I think it'll be worth the tradeoff.

I just wanted to wait until they actually started arriving to see what the major issues were (if any).

Not bad for my first Mac. I placed the order this past weekend. ETA is April 3rd.

Hey no one commented on my theory Rosetta is actually Windows on the Intel Macs already. :-) http://marksblog.net

No it's not, you've got a machine that's just undergone a huge architectural change.

Bound to be some early glitches.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

If you're a "switcher" (just pasted my anniversary), you'll know what I mean when I say Rosetta reminds me of Windows.

I've grown acustom to running crash free. When I ran Windows on my main machines, while I didn't blue screen often, I did know what they look like. I did run into many situations where I had to tweak, pull, coerce, and pray to get certain tasks done. Rosetta brings back those memories. :-)

I too have a iBook G4 and I love the battery life on it. It's the slowest Apple I have but battery life on it is great.

no idea what happened but i own a mbp and today i got mad while i was playing a game on it and some words came out that i would normally not say to my computer. the interesting part about this is that right after i had finished talking, it made a loud beep. i personally thought this was kinda funny.

who knew the computers dont like some words.

no idea what happened but i own a mbp and today i got mad while i was playing a game on it and some words came out that i would normally not say to my computer. the interesting part about this is that right after i had finished talking, it made a loud beep. i personally thought this was kinda funny.

who knew the computers dont like some words.

Speaking of, how is the MBP? I'm really itching to go pick one up, but I'm waiting for April 1st to see if they release the iBook. If it's a 13.3 widescreen, I'd definately consider it. I wouldn't consider it if it included integrated graphics though. I find my 12" pretty cramped, but we'll see how the iBook turns out. I love my iBook, but I'm holding off on damaging my credit card at the moment!

to answer that question it work great. its a lot faster than my old pb.

What model was it?

What model was it?

the standard 2.0ghz model

What model was it?

the standard 2.0ghz model

I meant the powerbook? :wink:

the powerbook is 2 years old.

now to get on with my addition to the review.

i am on mbp # 2. my first ones frame started to come apart on the front edge. i have not dropped it or not handed it with care. i dont know if this helps but i thought i should add my recent experiances.

I pulled the trigger today and bought a MacBook Pro. 1.83 Core Duo. Very nice machine. I'm very impressed with it so far, minus the whine. I get it at random times. I'm happy with my puchase and plan on keeping this baby for a lonnng time. Plus, the screen is HUGE compared to my poor little iBook.