Sign in to follow this  
wizgold

iPod or PSP

Adam - you said you had a PSP in one of your shows, have you used it to view Video?

If so - with its bigger widescreen display does it work out to be a better experience than watching a Video on the iPod?

The notion that Apple migh be coming out with proper VideoPod would make me wait for a while but I do want to get my hands on something that will show video for me on a hand held.

While I would prefer an Apple Product to do the job I would get a PSP if it does the job better than the iPod for what I need to do now.

Is the only way to put video on the PSP by using the memory stick and does it have speakers that work well enough that head phones would not be needed except for private listening.

I know most of my questions seem to be more PSP but it is really a comparision of features that I am interested in and I know you have both the PSP and a 5th Gen iPod.

maybe other forum users have the answers to this also

Thank you

If you want portable video you know, you'd really be better off with an ibook. It's big and expensive but it's a full computer with a screen large enough to use with video comfortably. And will play divx, DVD and more without resolution loss. ;)

No it has got to be hand held for what I want to do.

I don't want to wait for booting up and it has to be small and possible to fit ina pocket or small bag

I have both. I think the experience is 1000 times better on the PSP. It really does make a difference for me. but then again, I really only like it for that. listeening to music is pointless cause its so much bigger than the iPod. So thats why now I just go with a nano/psp combo when I go out.

The speakers are prretty damn decent, they just are not loud enough to use in places like the subway, etc. but if you are in an office, they are awsome. No need for headphones.

The only way to get video on it is using the memory stick. You will definetly have to budget the extra money for a stick or two. 1 gig will costt you a little over $100. The video is a true pain in the ass to get on it. worse than the iPod in my opinion. This is because you cant just drag and drop like with music and pictures. For the video to play it has to have some special tag that the PSP likes, so you will need to use software to do it. If you have a PC, the sony software is the best and easiest, otherwise for mac youve got PSPware and iPSP. I use iPSP. it works ok for me, but generally the whole process is a bitch. Its just one or two more steps you have to go through to get it on. But there is no way to avoid it.

hope that answers most of your questions.

I have both also and I really like my iPod better. I rarely play games on the PSP (if I wanted to, I'd play Xbox or some other real console), but I'm always listening to music. I like to pass time listening to music rather than playing games. It's all a personal preference.

I have both also and I really like my iPod better. I rarely play games on the PSP (if I wanted to, I'd play Xbox or some other real console), but I'm always listening to music. I like to pass time listening to music rather than playing games. It's all a personal preference.

I concure. Unless you play games or love watching lots of movies. I wouldnt think about carryign this thing around all day eeveryday for music. Its just too big.

But if any of you pay attention to the neews sites. Sony is going to bring out a new PSP with an 8gb internal NAND based memory. Now that i would take any day over a iPod. So you might hold out for that.

I carry around my ibook in a bag and will watch it say in a bus, in a car or my destination.. It's actually a good way to watch a movie unlike a 2.5" screen.

I carry around my ibook in a bag and will watch it say in a bus, in a car or my destination.. It's actually a good way to watch a movie unlike a 2.5" screen.

this is interesting, but not exactly an inexpensive option. And it is arguably bigger than an iPod or PSP.

Not inexpensive, but far more capable, better value even, it's a full computer meaning it'll do everything a computer can do. Which is actually pretty important, word processing, internet. Plus the ablity to play many more video formats, such as DVD, divx and more. it's really a much more useful device.

The only real problem is weight and that it won't fit in a pocket.

Maybe the VideoPod (the rumored "real one") will have a screen the full size of the iPod, and a flip down or slide out clickwheel. However, that would be less comfortable to hold with your hand and use your thumb on like you can now...

Oh, yeah. The proper VidPod would have FIREWIRE!!!!

Not inexpensive, but far more capable, better value even, it's a full computer meaning it'll do everything a computer can do. Which is actually pretty important, word processing, internet. Plus the ablity to play many more video formats, such as DVD, divx and more. it's really a much more useful device.

The only real problem is weight and that it won't fit in a pocket.

True, but my powrmac G5 is arguably far more capable than your iBook, but i do not bring it around with me when I work on music stuff.

There is no point in arguing features like word prcoessing. The guy asked a question about playing video on the go. iPod or PSP. A laptop computer has no baring in this comparison.

A laptop is far better for portable video. It will play dvd's, divx, quicktime, wmv whatever. At any resolution and has a decent sized screen so it's actually watchable! :roll: Please don't bring up a powermac for comparison that's just silly.

Looks like the iPod is going to be the best option for what I want to do. I will sit on the fence for while though to see if the real iPod Video makes a debut. Though there will come a time when I can't wait any longer.

It is for business purposes I want the iPod for and one day I will just bite the bullet whether the real video iPod has surfaced or not.

Thanks for all your input on this guys.

What are you going to use it for? just play video or do you want it to play games?

If you're only getting it for its video capabilities why not get an Archos AV700. that records from tv after all.

A laptop is far better for portable video. It will play dvd's, divx, quicktime, wmv whatever. At any resolution and has a decent sized screen so it's actually watchable! :roll: Please don't bring up a powermac for comparison that's just silly.

no, your comparison of an iBook is silly. thats the point. I do lots of processor heavy music production when im traveling. But do I bring my Powermac with me? of course not, because it wouldnt be practical. It would bee a pain in the ass to carry that much extra baggage, even though I could really use the features. I sacrifice not being able to create exactly what I want, right then and there, for a little less crap to carry.

Same idea with carrying an iBook around as a video player. It has extra features that may be useful, but the fact is you still have to carry a big laptop around. And yes, it is BIG, when compared to the couple inches of the ipod. You cant tuck an iBook in your pocket no matter how hard you try. So, most people sacrifice the ability to play multiple formats and resolutions for protablitiy.

The idea is exactly the same. Now, i understand if you want to drag a laptop around to somehow feel superior. like you've got it all figured out and everyone with a portable video device is a sucker. but in reality, the rest of the world is looking at you for what you truly are...Some moron carrying around this big extra laptop just to watch the latest episode of Lost.

You know what is even more silly? trying to watch a tv show or a movie on a 2.5" screen. There is simply no better way to see portable video than an ibook, no portable device will offer a better video experience. it is really pretty easy to carry around if you have a laptop bag. :roll: I take it you bring a powerbook around with you to do music production, well that would be best, or you could try taking around a tape recorder, it's small device that can record music. But it's simply silly to use it for music production, same thing. An ipod is for music not video.

You know what is even more silly? trying to watch a tv show or a movie on a 2.5" screen. There is simply no better way to see portable video than an ibook, no portable device will offer a better video experience. it is really pretty easy to carry around if you have a laptop bag. :roll: I take it you bring a powerbook around with you to do music production, well that would be best, or you could try taking around a tape recorder, it's small device that can record music. But it's simply silly to use it for music production, same thing. An ipod is for music not video.

Well as soon as you can figure out a way for me to do subtractive synthesis on a tape recorder, please let me know. Id love to ditch the powerbook.

See, i disagree that a 12 or 14" iBook screeen is the best possible video experience. I would much rather have my Powermac with a 30" WS monitor. I think that would be a much better video experience. I could also use a gas powered generator and purchase a surround sound system. I could fit all of those items in a couple flights cases, drag them behind me, and have a much better experience than the guy with the laptop.

Getting the point yet?

Well as soon as you can figure out a way for me to do subtractive synthesis on a tape recorder, please let me know. Id love to ditch the powerbook.

See, i disagree that a 12 or 14" iBook screeen is the best possible video experience. I would much rather have my Powermac with a 30" WS monitor. I think that would be a much better video experience. I could also use a gas powered generator and purchase a surround sound system. I could fit all of those items in a couple flights cases, drag them behind me, and have a much better experience than the guy with the laptop.

Getting the point yet?

The PowerMac is portable. It has a handle!

Getting the point yet?

The PowerMac is portable. It has a handle!

lol, true.

I have both also and to be totally honest I regret purchasing my PSP. The iPod is just so much easier to pull out and sneak to watch video at work.

The PSP is cool but it is really a pain to carry.

I have both also and to be totally honest I regret purchasing my PSP. The iPod is just so much easier to pull out and sneak to watch video at work.

The PSP is cool but it is really a pain to carry.

its awkward and heavy

A 12" screen gives an enjoyably movie experience I meant, it's an ideal size for portable video. :roll:

A 12" screen gives an enjoyably movie experience I meant, it's an ideal size for portable video. :roll:

I like my 15 inch widescreen PowerBook for video.

:) I'm getting a macbook pro. Portable high definition, that's pretty sweet. ;)