georgemoore13

Suggestions on Hardware

I am looking to get a laptop for college and I have decided I definitely want a Mac. I can't decide on which one to get though. I don't use anything extremely intensive, like Photoshop or video editing, but I want it to be quick, especially when running multiple apps. For example, I would like to run Itunes, Iphoto, and Safari with streaming video at the same time and still have quick performance. I have never owned a Mac, so I was hoping to get some help. Would and ibook with 1.5 GB of RAM be enough or do I need something higher end?

An iBook with 1.5Gb RAM is more than enough in my opinion. iBooks are great little notebooks and they are really much more powerful than you think. I came from a Windows and PC background and was amazed at the performance of Mac OS and software on such seemingly low spec hardware. In actual fact, the slower hardware is much better quality than most of the PC market and the OS is designed to run on it, making everything faster.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on a PowerBook (or MacBook Pro) personally, I would stick with the iBook. That said, it's a tough time for knowing when to buy right now because of the Intel switch. Januarys surprise has thrown it all off course and we have no idea when to expect what releases. As always, if you need it now, go for it, if not, wait and see.

The current iBook G4s are great machines and will do you proud; 768Mb-1.5Gb RAM would be great depending what you can afford.

Thanks a lot. That was really helpful. Grrr, I don't want to wait any longer, but I am curious if they will replace it soon....

One more thing, how much does adding extra RAM affect the battery life?

I didn't notice any difference (batter life) when I added 512 MB of RAM to my iBook. But I did notice a nice performance increase.

and just for the record. Apple does not use high quality hardware.... they use the same stuff any other manufacturer uses (Dell, HP, Compaq). Especially in the new Intel Machines.

They perform so well because the OS is tuned for the hardware. It doesn't have to work with a billion different configurations.

It is conceivable that adding more RAM to a notebook would increase battery life.

If, before the added RAM, the notebook was frequently swapping out RAM to disk, that tiny little rotating platter assembly in the hard drive will have been drawing lots more current than a memory stick. Betcha. So by adding memory the swapping to disk is reduced or quite likely eliminated, the machine is faster so you get more done per minute of battery life, then you get more battery life because the HD has spun down.

Win-win.

You just can't have too much RAM.

It is conceivable that adding more RAM to a notebook would increase battery life.

If, before the added RAM, the notebook was frequently swapping out RAM to disk, that tiny little rotating platter assembly in the hard drive will have been drawing lots more current than a memory stick. Betcha. So by adding memory the swapping to disk is reduced or quite likely eliminated, the machine is faster so you get more done per minute of battery life, then you get more battery life because the HD has spun down.

Win-win.

Also if the HD spins less often then it has a smaller chance of breaking.

Win-Win-Win.

Win-win.

I don't think it can be summed up better than this. RAM is great, the more the merrier and it even has hidden advantages. The problem however is that it's very expensive in Notebooks (not so much in desktops) and Apple especially overcharges. I would recommend buying one with as little RAM as possible to save cash and order more. I don't know what experience you have had with it, but even my dog could add or change out RAM. It's fairly simple. I wrote a guide on here somewhere if you fancy searching for it a little, else there is always PBFixit.

i would at least wait until after the feb. 28 event. since apple may anounce a widescreen ibook (or macbook)- its only a couple of days