Sign in to follow this  
georgemoore13

Switcher

My friend told me she had just gotten a Powerbook from a friend. She finally brought it to class and took it out and it was black. I was so confused uintil I realized it was a G3 or before. She was streaming some video in Safari and I was about the same speed as the PC I have now. I was curious so I had her pull up the specs. I just about died crying when I saw it had 512 MB of RAM (double my PC), but it had a 400 Mhz processor. I am not sure how common that is, but it amazed me. Not only was it only 400 mhz, but it was keeping up with my PC! I can't wait to get my mac laptop for college.

Mac OS X and the majority of it's apps have much smaller hardware footprints than Windows apps do. They require much less "power" and "speed" in the hardware, but this is offset by build and reliability. Macs are very well built, but with generally slower hardware than a PC.

400Mhz is a slow processor, no question but it's not uncommon to find it will run the same things much better on a Mac than it would on a PC; I found the same thing. You shouldn't really be running a 256Mb RAM PC anyway though; you could build something twice as fast for $150.

Yeah, my PC is a family computer and I have 2 younger sisters who know nothing about computers. One adaware scan I ran found more than 1000 objects. We have had to reinstall the OS twice now. I am looking forward to switching asap.