Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

What are the best movies for geeks?

I want to hear what everyone thinks!

#1 - The Matrix

#2 - Antitrust

#3 - Swordfish

#4 - The Net (REALLY OLD MOVIE)

#5 - TRON (Hey, it is what hooked me on computers!)

I'd agree with all those, although you can't forget Hackers and Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Oh, and X-Files.

Office Space

Office Space

SWEET!!! I completely forgot about that one!

Hackers and Pirates of Silicon Valley.

I was about to mention Hackers, but I see you already mentioned it. "Acid Burn" rules! :mrgreen:

A new one that came out is Firewall. I would have to agrree with the Matrix for sure, just start form the beggining and watch all three.

A new one that came out is Firewall. I would have to agrree with the Matrix for sure, just start form the beggining and watch all three.

Yeah, I really want to see Firewall!

I love all the Money Python movies but I don't think they are very geeky. Are they?

Loving Monty Python is the Gold Standard for diagnosing geekiness. And congratulations!

I saw it. It was okay. The plot was great and so was the acting, but there were too many dells.

I saw it. It was okay. The plot was great and so was the acting, but there were too many dells.

But think about it for a second. What type of computers use Firewalls most often? PC's!!! Why?? Because they are so vulnerable to virus' and hackers that's why!

I guess us Mac geeks will just have to get used to the fact that PC's are going to be in the movies more often when things are going haywire!

Just to through it out for conversation, I have been seeing many more Macs including Powerbooks, iMacs, and Apple Cinema Displays in various television shows and movies lately than I have PCs.

I can't believe you've all forgotten the best "geek" film ever made:

WAR GAMES. 8)

"Greetings, Professor Falken."

TRON is a close second. I watched that again just a few weeks ago.

I was going to mention War Games the other day, but I figured there was not anyone on here old enough to remember it. :)

I was going to mention War Games the other day, but I figured there was not anyone on here old enough to remember it. :)

Well, one anyway.

Yea... you, RedZeppelin and me.... three, I guess. The thing that always bothered me about the use of computers in movies, coming from a programming background, etc., is when they flash stuff up on a screen and you know for sure it is not real. That always irked me.

As of late, I have seen television shows and movies where things are a little more real. I saw an episode of a show a week or so ago where there were three Apple Cinema Displays on a desktop. A couple of the main characters sat down with a lady from a business and she was showing them some stuff on the computers. You could clearly see that they were running a real application on top of OS X. :)

The thing that always bothered me about the use of computers in movies, coming from a programming background, etc., is when they flash stuff up on a screen and you know for sure it is not real. That always irked me.

Amen to that. Heh. We could start a new list of "Worst Tech Movies." First on my list would be THE NET.

The thing that always bothered me about the use of computers in movies, coming from a programming background, etc., is when they flash stuff up on a screen and you know for sure it is not real. That always irked me.

Amen to that. Heh. We could start a new list of "Worst Tech Movies." First on my list would be THE NET.

Hey, THE NET may be old and may not be "real" as far a code goes but it is, as far as I can remember, the first movie to actually use Macs as a main character!

Yea... you, RedZeppelin and me....

Hey, were aren't all teenagers out here. I love War Games, Real Genius too.

I'm not sure if this counts as a geek movie, but I really liked Frequency.

And hey, is The Net the one with Sandra Bullock? That movie is not old. It's not even the oldest movie listed in this thread. I won't say it's good though.

-Rob

Yea... you, RedZeppelin and me....

Hey, were aren't all teenagers out here. I love War Games, Real Genius too.

I'm not sure if this counts as a geek movie, but I really liked Frequency.

And hey, is The Net the one with Sandra Bullock? That movie is not old. It's not even the oldest movie listed in this thread. I won't say it's good though.

-Rob

Yes, The Net is with Sandra Bullock and yes, it ISN'T that old. However, in terms of how the mac has advanced and technology it IS OLD!

So by not saying it is good then are you saying it is bad? :wink:

I don't think that Napoleon Dynamite is a good movie for geeks as it is very very very wierd. The content is not too good either

I will stand up for The Net and say that although it's aged in terms of the technology, I loved how they pushed the futuristic boundaries in realistic ways (chat, pizza and flights) rather than the God awful way in which it is usually pushed such as in Minority Report and Swordfish (both of which make laugh out loud).

I the God awful way in which it [technology] is usually pushed such as in Minority Report and Swordfish

Seriously, I think Minority Report is a brilliant movie, no credit to Tom Cruise, weenie. Speilberg consulted "futurists" to help create the vision of the future, and much of the future technology in that film is an extrapolation of current technology.

The only thing I thought was too wacky in that movie was jet packs; those made me laugh.

BTW, I don't actually know what a futurist is, but that's the term used in the "Making of" feature.

Besides, how can anyone deny a Philip K. Dick story, well the semblance of one of his stories.

:D

-Rob

Heh. We could start a new list of "Worst Tech Movies."

The Core