Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

What are the best movies for geeks?

Heh. We could start a new list of "Worst Tech Movies."

The Core

Virus!

That demo of the touch screen technology that's been floating around reminded me of Minority Report, what with the pinching and all that.

War Games is a classic. And an important lesson in how not to pick a password for a nuclear weapon program. Hope Dubya has seen it.

Worst tech movie, for this one line it has to be Antitrust "In the real world when you kill people, THEY DIE, for real" No kidding

Worst tech movie, for this one line it has to be Antitrust "In the real world when you kill people, THEY DIE, for real" No kidding

What?? I don't see your reasoning... the story is good and all the code used in the movie is real. No faking it! Please elaborate so that I can see your point!

Just that that is possibly one of the most ridiculous lines of dialogue that I think I've ever heard.

not being much of a programmer i dont really know if the code is real or not. Still a crap film tho even if the code is real

I was going to mention War Games the other day, but I figured there was not anyone on here old enough to remember it. :)

Well, one anyway.

Not just one....By the way, I *sorta* liked Johnny Mnemonic Shmnemonic.

Anyway, I have no idea what it will be like, but I'm wanting to see "UltraViolet". Does that make me geeky or is it just Milla?

MillaHello.jpg

Also, I hope it's not a can of worms, but I for one am sooo relieved not to have seen a reference to any StarTrek bullshit. :)

I was going to mention War Games the other day, but I figured there was not anyone on here old enough to remember it. :)

Well, one anyway.

Not just one....By the way, I *sorta* liked Johnny Mnemonic Shmnemonic.

Anyway, I have no idea what it will be like, but I'm wanting to see "UltraViolet". Does that make me geeky or is it just Milla?

MillaHello.jpg

Also, I hope it's not a can of worms, but I for one am sooo relieved not to have seen a reference to any StarTrek bullshit. :)

Don't look now, but you just referenced it!! (I'll be the first here to say I like Star Trek!!) :lol:

I want to see UltraViolet too although I hope it doesn't turn out something like The Island did, BIG disappointment there for a geek film!

Pirates of silcon valley of course, haven't any of you see that?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

Yes, of course. I believe that was mentioned...

:) That was post #2, you nerd :)

I'd agree with all those, although you can't forget Hackers and Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Oh, and X-Files.

Independence Day

Why? It showed that OSX is not just the best OS on earth but in the galaxy. Imagine travelling all that way to do a bit of conquering only to be destroyed by a Windows virus

Also a Best Sporting Actor nod to Ferris Bueller's Mac. If only I could teach my ibook to get me off work

For anyone with a programming background "Hackers" has to be the worst geek movie ever.

They msy not be movies, but I reckon RvB and Pure Pwnage would take the cake for best webseries.

The likes of Hackers are bad movies, they really are. The technology makes me cringe, but the fact that they brought "modern" computing, the lifestyle, the knowledge, the power and the will to the screen is what makes them great.

Plus Angelina Jolie aged 2 is just plain funny. :D

The likes of Hackers are bad movies, they really are. The technology makes me cringe, but the fact that they brought "modern" computing, the lifestyle, the knowledge, the power and the will to the screen is what makes them great.

Fair point, Matt.

Somehow I'd managed to miss Hackers when it first came out, I only saw the movie last year, and like a lot of tech movies it's probably better to see them close to their release date.

The first Matrix would be a case in point. The whole mobile/cell phone chic looked very cool in 1999, but looks dated now.

Fair point, Matt.

Somehow I'd managed to miss Hackers when it first came out, I only saw the movie last year, and like a lot of tech movies it's probably better to see them close to their release date.

The first Matrix would be a case in point. The whole mobile/cell phone chic looked very cool in 1999, but looks dated now.

It's one reason why I'd defend 2001 as the greatest geek movie, because much of the technology still holds up today, 40 years later.

Of course we should not forget The Day The Earth Stood Still which may well have been the first presentation of all-powerful robots from space.

"The Day The Earth Stood Still" the grandaddy of SF films.

"We do not claim to have achieved perfection, but we have a system, and it works".

A memorable movie.

"The Last Starfighter" -- First movie to use 3d Computer graphics. Space scenes were rendered on a CRAY.

Also "Sneakers", which conicidentally also has a CRAY in it.

Star trek The Wraft of Khan was before that, in 1982. The CGI in that was done by lucasarts which later sold their computer graphics department to Jobs and it became pixar. :D

I don't know about great movie, but what about "Starman" from 1984 with Jeff Bridges?

2001: A Space Odyssey

Blade Runner

I was going to mention these but wasn't sure if they would be to everyone's liking. Both are great movies if you are a geek!